Community
Wiki Posts
Search

826 hkg - yyz [overbooking]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
826 hkg - yyz [overbooking]

Looking like a full J on Monday (only 2 seats unassigned 3 days out)...

Would CX ever ask for volunteers to down-grade, or not fly and offer some kind of compensation / incentive?

I don't have to leave on Monday and am wondering about the above scenario - any info / tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:35 pm

I don't know if there have been cases of people being involuntarily downgraded back to Y due to overbooking but they usually try to ask if anyone is willing to take the downgrade in exchange for goodies such as cash, miles etc. which could sometimes be a lot.

Back in 2009 I was on HKG-YYZ (CX826 was a 02:45am departure then) with a hugely overbooked Y. On offer was a complimentary upgrade to business class for next day's flight, Regal Airport hotel room to stay for the night and a considerable amount of shopping money at HKIA. This is the most creative way to solve an overbooking issue I have personally seen.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Full =/= overbooked yet.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Capricorn70
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Full =/= overbooked yet.
Also you cannot determine the loads based on the seat map. If there are still 2 seats to be assigned, if anything, they are not overbooked. If they become overbooked, airlines often close off the seat assignment.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:54 pm

Actually i am always curious as to whether CX oversell their top cabin (J in this case)
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by LchChester
Actually i am always curious as to whether CX oversell their top cabin (J in this case)
Yes they do. I was kindly asked at check-in whether I was willing to downgrade from J to Y for HKG-SYD a few years ago as J was overbooked.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:47 pm

CX do oversell J class and will ask for volunteers to downgrade to Y. Of course they will op-up DM to 1st and then they will downgrade the volunteers.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
CX 829 YYZ 01:25 HKG 06:05 77W J3 C3 D2 I2 W0 R0 E0 Y2 B3 H3 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Looking v. full, but with three open in J, and 3 in the back, I suspect you're not in the world of passengers being left behind. (Bear in mind that the oversell limits have to leave room for DM and GO guaranteed seats--unless several decide to book now, there will likely be a seat or two left).
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:11 am
Suspended

If you can still access the seat map, chances are the flight is not so overbooked.

Also seat maps are not accurate. Some seats are blocked but not taken.

Also don't rely on the inventory figures as I find CX have been adjusting its POS logic a lot more in recent months. If you search the inventory based on high yield countries, it might come up with different results.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
TBH on this route, I doubt J will be oversold, unless PEY is not particularly full. This is because normally Y class is oversold, and so they will not have space to downgrade anyone from J.

Most of the time CX826/9 goes out 100% full in all classes. I do not believe CX826 will be offering J passengers compensation for downgrade/alternate flight as I don't think it will be oversold.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
very interesting and informative - will see what happens between now and then
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I was on cx838 last August and in the lounge, I along with many others were in turn called up to the reception and been offered voluntary downgrade to PEY for the compensation equal to around 2500usd.

But just by looking at the seat map doesn't mean the flight is oversold. CX usually reserves several seats for situations like this and for the MPC guarentee
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jona970318
I was on cx838 last August and in the lounge, I along with many others were in turn called up to the reception and been offered voluntary downgrade to PEY for the compensation equal to around 2500usd.

But just by looking at the seat map doesn't mean the flight is oversold. CX usually reserves several seats for situations like this and for the MPC guarentee
I gather PEY is their new premium economy? Did anyone take up on their offer for 2500USD? And is that a fair reflection of the difference in fares between the two classes?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
I gather PEY is their new premium economy? Did anyone take up on their offer for 2500USD? And is that a fair reflection of the difference in fares between the two classes?
If you bought a heavily discounted ticket such as transpac ex TPE ticket, then perhaps it would reflect the difference (just barely). Otherwise, not worth it IMO. Y+ is a huge step down from the J product.

Looking at the seatmap, I would think that the chance of there being a downgrade situation is low.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

Would CX ever ask for volunteers to down-grade, or not fly and offer some kind of compensation / incentive?

I don't have to leave on Monday and am wondering about the above scenario - any info / tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
I see quite some seats unassigned. Remember some people have comfirmed reservations without assigned seats.

Code:
4G*CX826J9DECHKG«
   AUTH-340   77G  
   0 - HKG  1 - YYZ    
   NO SMOKING-HKGYYZ  
      A       D   G       K  
  11  .       .   .       .    11  
  12  .       .   *       .    12  
  15  .       .   .       .    15  
  16  .       .   .       .    16  
  17  .       .   .       .    17  
  18  *       .   .       .    18  
  19  *                   .    19  
  20          *UB .            20  
  21  .       .   *       .    21  
  22  .       *   *       .    22  
  23  *       *   *       *    23  
      A       D   G       K  

AVAIL NO SMK: *    BLOCK  : /  LEAST PREF: U   BULKHEAD: BHD  
 AVAIL SMKING: -    PREMIUM: Q  UPPER DECK: J   EXIT ROW:  X  
 SEAT TAKEN: . WING: W PAID: P LAVATORY: LAV GALLEY:GAL BED:S  
 PREF ACCESS LAV: PAL  DOOR: DOR    SCREEN: SCR   CLOSET: CLS  
 PREF ACCESS:H  BASSINET:B  LEGROOM:L  UMNR:M  REARFACE:@
Originally Posted by correctioncx
If you can still access the seat map, chances are the flight is not so overbooked.
While you might not able to see the seatmap from airline's websites through dummy bookings if the cabin is oversold, you can still get the seatmaps from other softwares or GDS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.