Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

[Meal times and] Transpacific service on CX on J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Summary of Meal timings, please add your experience by destination.

Note: flight times are approximate, varying 1-2 hours based on seasonality and Daylight Savings Time

If your experience was different from described or have experienced mid-flight meals, please add the date of flight

HKG-EWR
CX890 (6pm Dep) - normal service (5 March 2014)
HKG-JFK
CX830 (9am Dep) - Mid-Flight dinner (March 2014, 23 March 2014)
CX840 (4pm Dep) - Normal service
CX846 (7pm Dep) - Normal Service
HKG-LAX
CX880 (12am Dep) - Normal service
CX882 (4pm Dep) - Normal service
CX884 (1pm Dep) - Normal service (27 Feb 2014)
HKG-ORD
CX806 (11am Dep) - Mid-Flight meal (Jan 2014, 23 March 2014 )
HKG-SFO
CX870 (2pm Dep) - Normal Service
CX872 (1am Dep) - Normal Service
HKG-YVR
CX838 (4pm Dep) -
CX888 (1am Dep) - Normal service
HKG-YYZ
CX826 (5pm Dep) - Normal service
CX828 (11am Dep) - Mid Flight Dinner

ex-EWR
CX899 (1am Dep) - Normal Service
CX899 (1am Dep) - Mid-flight Service - Aug 2014, but menu said second meal would be before landing
ex-JFK
CX831 (2pm Dep) - Normal Service
CX841 (9am Dep) - Mid-flight meal (Jun 2014 printed on menu)
CX889 (9pm Dep, stops in YVR). JFK-YVR: one Western and one Chinese option. YVR-HKG: normal service
CX845 (1am Dep) - Normal Service
ex-LAX
CX881 (12am Dep) - Normal Service
CX883 (10pm Dep) - Normal Service
CX885 (11am Dep) - Mid-flight meal & Normal Service (6 Feb 2014, 27 Mar 2014)
ex-SFO
CX873 (11pm Dep) - Normal service
CX879 (12pm Dep) - Mid-flight meal (17 March 2014)
ex-ORD
CX807 (2pm Dep) -- Mid-Flight meal (Dec 2013, 15 March 2014); Normal service (4 March 2014, July 19, 2014)
ex-YVR
CX837 (2pm Dep) - Mid-flight meal (March 2014, 23 March 2014); June 19, 2014 (3pm Dep) - Normal Service
CX889 (2am Dep) - Normal service
ex-YYZ
CX829 (2am Dep) - Normal service
CX825 (3pm Dep) - Normal service
Print Wikipost

[Meal times and] Transpacific service on CX on J

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by correctioncx
What do u mean a far cry from JL?
I have a soft spot for temperpedic(sp?) mattresses.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
I assume you meant "greet", what MPO tier is your father?
If I remember correctly, ISM is to greet Diamond members, section leaders will greet Gold/Silver members. So if you are a Gold/Silver card holder, and ISM comes to you to greet you, better take that as a bonus.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
I have a soft spot for temperpedic(sp?) mattresses.
Ah yes! However do u find it too hot - which is a major issue of tempur - given up my tempur bed and bought as hastens

Have u tried the new F class bedding? Whilst it is not tempur I find the extra padding more than enough and it is thicker
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:40 pm

Ah yes! However do u find it too hot - which is a major issue of tempur - given up my tempur bed and bought as hastens

Have u tried the new F class bedding? Whilst it is not tempur I find the extra padding more than enough and it is thicker
I think the heart of the problem is that JL's cabins are often far too hot, which is exacerbated by the mattress. This used to drive me crazy, but I've become more tolerant over time (in part because my Chinese colleagues freak out whenever I try to set the office thermostat below 23 degrees). Yes, I tried the new CX bedding, and it was nice, but the J duvets honestly are good enough for me (I used several to make a mattress of sorts on the transpac).
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by 747867
If I remember correctly, ISM is to greet Diamond members, section leaders will greet Gold/Silver members. So if you are a Gold/Silver card holder, and ISM comes to you to greet you, better take that as a bonus.
Basically correct, with a minor caveat.

The greetings were explicitly changed internally at CX either earlier this year or late last year. I can't remember when but I remember writing a post about it when it happened.

Long story short, if I recall DMs in Y class are not even necessarily going to get ISM greetings. The DMs are absolutely supposed to get greeted but it's supposed to be from an SP or section leader (which, frankly is probably more useful in my view....I fly regionally in Y class very frequently, and I could care less if the ISM knows me - seems far more important for the section leader to). As for GOs, if they're traveling in J or F they are supposed to be greeted (can't remember if it's supposed to be ISM or section leader, I think it may be section leader for J), but staff do not explicitly need to greet GO members in EY class. They may, but they'd be doing it on their own and not part of policy.

Regarding those cards handed out to DMs, it seems random. But I will add I've flown 6 Transpacific sectors in the last 3 months (3 sitting in J 3 in F), and I've gotten the card I think 4 or 5 times. Always in F and sometimes in J.

As for the abbreviated meal service, I think are some misconceptions here about what is normal versus what is truly bad service / crew taking matters into their own hands. Late night departures have significantly altered meal services (and usually don't have nuts/drink trolley first) which might be confusing some folks. CX873 ex-SFO is good example of this. There's also fewer main course options (usually just 2, instead of 3 or 4 in J class, and F also has fewer), and there's a "light meal" option in J which is a pre-plated main salad type thing with maybe some berries, and often with a soup. The soup is heated separately in the galley and may or may not come at the same time as the pre-plated light meal.

Versus a full meal service, which would be like a CX846 early evening departure ex-HKG for JFK. There in J class you should get drink/nuts, followed by appetizer tray + bread (which often is accompanied by drinks, but admittedly not always), followed by a main course (ditto on drinks), followed by cheese / fruit / dessert (often with dessert drinks offered like port, although you can ask for whatever you want), followed by chocolates.

Finally, I've seen some folks on here mention champagne / water / juice etc pre-takeoff in J class is absent. That should happen regardless of the time of departure even if there's an abbreviated meal service later.

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 28, 2013 at 8:13 pm Reason: clarified J class
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:31 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
QRC3288's understanding of the meal services is the same as mine.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
I agree also
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zhaobao
- The first service on the plane was lunch at 1130 Hong Kong time, and there was not any pre-meal drinks. It appeared that individual dishes of peanuts were prepared; they were just sitting on the trolley but were not handed out. Flight attendant didn't come around to serve any drinks until all the appetizers were passed out.
- Second meal was served at 1700 Hong Kong time.
- For the rest of the flight, if you would like food, you just order the snacks/noodles that they have.
It's been 5+ years since I've flown CX J transpac, but the meal service was always my pet peeve about CX, and one reason I would often prefer Continental from EWR, when I was doing the route a couple of times per year. (It was also mostly back when there was only one daily nonstop on CX, so flight timing wasn't a consideration).

CO would have a big (huge) lunch/dinner meal service after departure. A mid-flight snack, that was pretty substantial. They would usually serve the snack to the cabin at once, but you could ask for it on demand if you were sleeping and missed the service. And then a big breakfast before arrival (irrespective of the arrival time at the destination, I think they just figured people would want breakfast after sleeping for X number of hours).

On CX, the only thing you could get for the last 8 hours of the flight was a noodle soup and maybe 2 soup dumplings, and they would often run out.

And frankly, I think the catering itself on CO was better. But I hear things have gone way downhill since the UA merger.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by zhaobao
- Second meal was served at 1700 Hong Kong time.
- For the rest of the flight, if you would like food, you just order the snacks/noodles that they have.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
On CX, the only thing you could get for the last 8 hours of the flight was a noodle soup and maybe 2 soup dumplings, and they would often run out.
I'm confused about the timing of the 2nd meal. I've only done ORD-HKG, once in J and once in Y. In J the first meal was a full service (dinner, not supper) and there was a second meal before landing. In Y the 2nd meal was served halfway through the flight, with no food after that (awful).

Now the posts quoted above suggest that 'midflight last meal' happens in J too. Under what circumstances does it happen?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Now the posts quoted above suggest that 'midflight last meal' happens in J too. Under what circumstances does it happen?
First, just to clarify there are 6 routes that could be considered Transpac....JFK, YYZ, ORD, YVR, SFO and LAX. Generalizations on here can be confusing (ie, even the title of this thread...kinda implies all Transpac service is similar, which is far from the truth). The flights all leave at different hours, and to make matters even more confusing CX has changed meal timings on some of the flights in the last 5 years. What used to be on some of the routes is not necessarily how it is now..CX841/CX840 are two flights that come to mind where meal timings were changed in recent years (those are JFK flights).

I'll just lay out two recent flights I've taken recently in J....CX846 and CX873. CX846 is HKG-JFK and CX873 is SFO-HKG. CX846 serves a full dinner service in J soon after takeoff (starts about 45 minutes in) in the manner I describe a few posts above. There are at least 2 snacks on board (I recall beef noodles and a hamburger) for selection mid-flight between meals. The second full meal - "brunch" - is served about 2-3 hours before landing. It's basically breakfast but not as extensive as CX873 below. So you've got a long break between main meals but you do have the full dinner service (which can run 3 hours into the flight if the crew is taking a long time), and two hot snacks in between, plus the usual selection of all the stuff sitting in the galley (fruits, bags of chips, nuts, etc.). If you really crave it they will give you the instant noodles from EY class, although they're not out on display.

CX873 is a late-night departure ex-SFO, has a limited dinner service and a "light meal" pre-trayed option. I think a lot of the concerns I've been reading are based on a misunderstanding what the "light meal" option is. Often times the crew will pitch it to you and if you're not paying attention that's when you end up with, especially if their accent isn't perfectly clear. If you choose the limited dinner (I think called "supper") instead of the light meal, that's served shortly after takeoff. It is less extensive than the CX846 full dinner service. There is one hearty snack available for your choosing any time (wonton noodles) between meals, not two (there is also the "light meal" available for you to order whenever you want it..menu specifically says this). Also, like CX846 (and every other long-haul flight I'm familiar with) the galley has the cold selection of food laid out for you to get as you like. Finally, about 3-3.5 hours pre-landing a full breakfast service starts. This service is more extensive than the "brunch" option offered on CX846 I describe in the paragraph above. It usually ends about 75-90 minutes before landing.

IIRC, the timing for CX873 meals in J is also similar to CX881, CX883 (ex LAX) and CX845 (ex JFK). Some type of "supper" + light meal option at take-off and full breakfast pre-landing.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
First, just to clarify...
Have I summarized correctly?

late departure = supper after takeoff / light meal and one snack available on demand / full breakfast starting 3-3.5 hours before landing

non-late departure = full dinner after takeoff / two snacks available on demand / brunch 2-3 hours before landing

long last section of flight without food (as claimed by zhaobao and ijgordon): never happens in J
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Have I summarized correctly?
I'm not sure, because I can't speak for all the Transpac flights! I can speak confidently about the ones I've recently flown on, but can't remember others...I think I have actually flown on every single Transpac flight # (!), but forgot to track meal times. Sorry.

If you have a flight coming up, I recommend either doing a search (you'll want to find a recent thread, because meal times have changed on some flights) or just posting the question as a new thread. No doubt someone will have taken the flight recently and can speak authoritatively. But lumping all "Transpac" flights together obviously doesn't make sense due to many differences

Last edited by QRC3288; Dec 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:33 am
Suspended

Actually can you explain what is the difference between brunch and breakfast as I forgot on top of my head?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:46 am

Actually can you explain what is the difference between brunch and breakfast as I forgot on top of my head?
Looking a brunch menu now: 5 starters, 3 main course choices (omelette, dim sum, congee), bread basket, tea and coffee. IIRC, breakfast has a bit less to choose from.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW, I've done CX806 HKG-ORD in J a couple times, one year apart. The flight departs just before noon and arrives just after noon, all times local. Here is what I recall:

First time (Jan 2012): full lunch service immediately after takeoff, brunch service two hours before landing, snacks in between. Y was on the same schedule.

Second time (Jan 2013): full lunch service immediately after takeoff, second meal (cannot remember if it was dinner or breakfast) 6-7 hours into the flight, snacks available the rest of the way. Y and Y+ were on the same schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.