Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
The Cathay Pacific Inflight Experience FAQs.

For information on CX equipment registration, new addition and retrofit status, and which equipment operate to which destinations:

Fleet, Route, Configuration Details about entire CX and KA Fleet:
* CX and KA Fleet: Cathay Pacific (CX) and Cathay Dragon (KA) Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

I’m looking at Cathay’s schedules and don't know what “Equipment” is meant by the three letter code. What do all the different three letter alphanumeric codes mean?

Cathay's schedules only display the IATA standard three letter alphanumeric codes for aircraft type (i.e. 773, 772, 333, 350 and 77W) rather than Cathay's own three letter alphanumeric equipment codes. The table below lists Cathay's internal three letter equipment codes, together with a breakdown of the types of seats installed on that particular aircraft.

Code:
Code  Operates     First Class   Business Class   Premium Econ.  Economy Class
 LONGHAUL 
 33E   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           No             Cradle
 33K   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           Yes            Cradle
 35G   Long Haul    -             New Cirrus       Yes            New cradle 
 77G   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           Yes            Cradle
 77H   Long Haul    Suite         Cirrus           Yes            Cradle 
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 REGIONAL
 33P   Regional     -             Regional         No          Hard Shell/Cradle
 772Z  Regional     No            Regional         No              Cradle
 73Z   Regional     No            Regional         No             Hard shell

See this link for pictures of the different types of business class seats: Cathay Pacific Business Class seats

Which of Cathay’s aircraft operate where?
We unofficially divide Cathay's aircraft into two types of product:
  • Long Haul (77G, 77H, 33E, 33K and 35G); and
  • Regional (33P, B772Z, 73Z).

We also unofficially divide Cathay's destination network into three zones:
  • Long Haul (Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand);
  • Medium Haul (Middle East and India); and
  • Regional (rest of Asia).

Generally, aircraft are deployed as follows:

1. If you are flying to a Long Haul zoned destination, your flight will ALWAYS be operated by a Long Haul aircraft.
Sometimes when looking at the schedule, it will show that your aircraft is 773 for a long haul destination. So long as you are flying to or from a Long Haul zoned destination your flight will ALWAYS be on a 777-300ER with Long Haul Product. Cathay's regional "773" has derated engines and it is simply physically impossible for them to fly to Europe or North America.

2. If you are flying to a Medium Haul zoned destination, the type of product on your flight will DEPEND on your specific destination and flight number.
Certain destinations are always served by Long Haul product, while other destinations might be served by Long Haul product on certain flights only. Generally these flights are "sticky", i.e. they are always scheduled to be operated by Long Haul products. However, unlike Long Haul destinations, these "sticky" Medium Haul zoned Long Haul product flights may sometimes, but rarely be subject to aircraft swaps to a Regional product due to operational (tech problems) requirements.

3. If you are flying to a Regional zoned destination, you may get EITHER a Regional product or a Long Haul product.
Certain regional destinations have "sticky" flights operated by Long Haul product; other regional destinations see Long Haul product on an ad hoc basis.

What is the best way to definitively determine which aircraft is scheduled on the particular flight I want to take?

Look at the seat map of the aircraft assigned to your flight. This can be done in one of two ways:

1. If you have an existing booking and are flying in Business Class, log in to Manage My Booking on cathaypacific.com. Pull up the seat map (select my seat) and look at the seat map (using the guide below) to ascertain the equipment currently assigned to your flight.

2. If you have not made a booking, or are travelling in Economy Class (and hence you do not have access to a JCL seat map) you can still use the purchases page to ascertain the configuration of the generic aircraft code you are given. Make a dummy booking for Business Class and then at the entry of traveller's details page to choose a seat, which will bring up the seat maps. The trick is to identify the layout: any aircraft which has more than two seats windowside (e.g. 2-2-2 or 2-3-2 configuration) in Business Class will be Regional product.

Be warned that aircraft switches between type are extremely common on regional flights, depending on maintenance requirements.

Will I get an amenity kit in First/Business class on my flight?

Long haul zoned flights: Yes
Medium Haul: Only on overnight sectors
Regional: No even if your regional flight is an overnight redeye.
Business Class Amenity Kits
First Class Amenity Kits

What is considered a regional flight and medium haul flight
Regional - Mainland China (PEK, PVG), Japan (CTS, FUK, KIX, HND, NGO, NRT), Indonesia (CGK, DPS, SUB), Malaysia (KUL), Philippines (CEB, MNL), Singapore (SIN), South Korea (ICN), Thailand (BKK)
Medium haul - India (BOM, DEL, HYD, MAA), Maldives (MLE), Middle East (BAH, DXB, RUH), Sri Lanka (CMB)

What will I eat on my flight?

Here are the most recent links to menus:

Links to menus
Discuss your meal options here

What are the seats like on Cathay Pacific?

You can find details and pictures of the different classes of travel at the Cathay Pacific website: Travel Classes

Where can I see seat maps for Cathay Pacific?

Cathay Pacific Seat Maps

What are the best seats in First Class?

1A, 1K, 2A and 2K are essentially the same seat. Similarly 1D and 2D are similar to each other.

Row 1 is closer to the galley so may be slightly noisier during meal times. The entry for suites 1D and 2D are on the right-hand aisle (i.e. the same aisle as 1K and 2K). This means that 1A and 2A could have less foot traffic. However, sometimes that this is compensated for by cabin crew using the left-hand aisle when they need to access the forward galley.

When flying long haul business class on a 777, is it better to sit in the "mini cabin" at the front, or in the second section?

There are a number of threads on this topic, which is open to personal opinion. Please do a search on the terms "mini cabin" "dorm room". These threads have some common opinions:
12D or 12J or the other part of J
12A or 16K on 77W New J Class?
How to get seat assignment for 11D & 11G on the 777-300ER?

What are the best Business Class seats on a A330 (long haul)?

The A330s have the "Reverse Herringbone" seats, also referred to as "Cirrus" or "New Business Class". The seat configuration is 1-2-1. The window seats are angled towards the window, and the middle pair of seats are angled towards each other. There are two cabins - rows 11-18 in Zone A between doors 1 and 2; and rows 19-22 in Zone B just behind door 2. The second cabin is smaller but there will be foot traffic from Economy Class passengers during door 2 during boarding. Row 18 is missing a window.

What are the best Business Class seats on a 777 (long haul)?

777s have the "Reverse Herringbone" seats, also referred to as "Cirrus" or "New Business Class". The seat configuration is 1-2-1. The window seats are angled towards the window, and the middle pair of seats are angled towards each other.
77G (3-class aircraft without First class)
Row 19 is missing both windows.

77H
There are two cabins; a main cabin in Zone B between doors 2 and 3 consisting of rows 15-26 and a smaller "mini-cabin" forward of doors 2 and behind the First Class cabin consisting of rows 11-12. Some like the quiet and privacy of the mini-cabin; while others prefer the spaciousness of the main Business Class cabin.

Note missing windows on the 77H as follows:
15A is missing both windows.
16K is missing one window.
21AK is missing the window nearest the pax's head.
24AK is missing the window nearest the pax's feet.

What are the best seats in Regional Business Class?

There is only one cabin in Regional Business Class. Generally you should have a look at the seat maps and find a seat that pleases you based on proximity to galleys and lavatories.

What are the best Business Class seats for a couple: Long Haul New Business Class?

The center seats D/G allow couples to be able to face each other and have a conversation over the partition. You are able to slide your seats forward to make conversation even easier, and then when you want some separate time, you can slide the seats back.

Some people prefer A/D or G/K seats as couples even though there is an aisle between you, as these seats allow you to physically visit the other person by crossing the aisle.

Also check this thread for opinions: New Business Class seating for couples

Best seats on 777-300ER Thread

Can I check my baggage through when connecting to another airline?

Yes. From Cathay's FAQ:

As a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will through-check you and your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our interline partners. However through-check may not be possible on their return journey if your travel begins with an airline that does not to provide separate ticket through-check service.

Passengers holding connecting itineraries booked on a single ticket or connecting between Cathay Pacific Group operated flights will be through-checked to their final destination regardless.
CX/KA has interline agreements with the following airlines. This means that baggage may be checked through to final destination even if travelling on separate tickets.

ELECTRONIC INTERLINE CARRIER AGREEMENTS-CX
INTERLINE CARRIER CODES :
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO

AA AB AC AE AF AH AI AM AS AT AV AY AZ BA
BD BG BI BL BP BR BT B6 B7 CA CI CM CO CZ
DL EI EK ET EY FI FJ FM GF GN HA HG HM
HR IB IC IG IR JC JJ JL JO JP JQ JU KA KC
KE KL KM KQ KU KW LA LG LH LO LP LR LX LY
MD ME MF MH MI MS MU MX NF NH NU NX NZ OA
OK OM OS OU OZ PG PK PR PS PX QF QR RA SA
SB SC SK SN SQ SU SV S7 TA TG TK TM TN TP
UA UL UN US UU VN VS VX WS WY W5 XL ZH 4M
9W
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by klausa
I'm looking at redeeming some avios for HKG-TPE in October. I noticed on some flights CX uses long-haul widebodies configuration, with "proper" business class, while on other it's the regional product.

Are equipment swaps super-freqent on that route, or can I assume if I book a flight with long-haul C, it'll end up being long-haul C?

I know it's a short flight, but I wanted to bring my GF along, who never flown C before — I'm fine with "splurging" the additional avios if we'll end up on long-haul config, but it kinda misses the point if it'll be the regional one.

I know October it's still a fair ways out — so maybe it stabilizes closer to departures? Checking the calendar there seems to be plenty of availability at T-7, so if it's clearer by then which flights would have the long-haul config I might hold off with booking until closer to departure.
Very frequent and sometimes it happens just 1 day before.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Very frequent and sometimes it happens just 1 day before.
Even between 359 and 330/777, or just "within" specific subfleets? , e.g. would I be safer booking a 359 flight, with it less having less chance of equipment swap, than a long-haul configured 330 being swapped for other 330?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by klausa
Even between 359 and 330/777, or just "within" specific subfleets? , e.g. would I be safer booking a 359 flight, with it less having less chance of equipment swap, than a long-haul configured 330 being swapped for other 330?
Everything, although some flight #s more likely than others. CX474 morning is usually a good bet. But still impossible to guarantee.

The plane type doesn't really matter. If anything is more important it's flight number not plane rostered. The medium and longhaul rotations using those longhaul plane types (33E/K, 35G/K, 77A/H/G/K) take priority. For any reason really, the regionals can be swapped. CX474 is late enough that even if the scheduled rotation plane lands late from Europe, America, Australia, Dubai etc. usually it still gets its frame. But not always.

The short replies are due to this being a very frequent topic, just 10 days ago there was a thread, I responded to it in the last post with a bunch of similar queries.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...t-changes.html

If you are really obsessive, you can check the sheet board regulars here maintain. (Google access not necessary....a bug if it requests). Regional flights (except HND) aren't there intentionally. But all the longhauls and equipment types you can see, and see how there is a motherload of longhaul planes landing early morning. Generally CX tries to utilize them for at least one daytime rotation in Asia. As the day rolls on, predictability can go down, although some flights CX still tries hard to protect, for example CX739 to SIN, because the return flight is business heavy.

CX / KA Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

Last edited by QRC3288; Jul 17, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Everything, although some flight #s more likely than others. CX474 morning is usually a good bet. But still impossible to guarantee.

The plane type doesn't really matter. If anything is more important it's flight number not plane rostered. The medium and longhaul rotations using those longhaul plane types (33E/K, 35G/K, 77A/H/G/K) take priority. For any reason really, the regionals can be swapped. CX474 is late enough that even if the scheduled rotation plane lands late from Europe, America, Australia, Dubai etc. usually it still gets its frame. But not always.

The short replies are due to this being a very frequent topic, just 10 days ago there was a thread, I responded to it in the last post with a bunch of similar queries.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...t-changes.html

If you are really obsessive, you can check the sheet board regulars here maintain. (Google access not necessary....a bug if it requests). Regional flights (except HND) aren't there intentionally. But all the longhauls and equipment types you can see, and see how there is a motherload of longhaul planes landing early morning. Generally CX tries to utilize them for at least one daytime rotation in Asia. As the day rolls on, predictability can go down, although some flights CX still tries hard to protect, for example CX739 to SIN, because the return flight is business heavy.

CX / KA Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

Understood. Thanks for the long explanation and the patience.

I actually saw that doc before and came here because it didn't answer my question — if I may suggest something, I think putting a short disclaimer in the doc that planes for those routes can't be guaranteed and are subject to last-minute swaps might reduce amount of questions y'all get.

In any case, thanks again and thanks for maintaining that doc for all FTers!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Hello,

I am a bit confused about CX's baggage policy for OW elites. I'm currently AA Platinum, OW Saphire. According to CX's baggage page, Saphire members do not receive any additional allowance in economy or premium economy? Curious to know as I'm flying premium economy in September with a lot of gear for work.

Any intel appreciated!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:50 pm

I'm sorry if this is obvious, but where can I find a list of airlines with whom Cathay Pacific has interline baggage agreements?

I'm planning to fly from Bangkok to Saipan in November. The most convenient trip is Bangkok-Hong Kong-Saipan. Hong Kong Express (now owned by Cathay) does the Hong Kong-Saipan leg. If Cathay has an interline baggage agreement with them, then I will book the Bangkok-Hong Kong leg with Cathay. I'd really like to avoid having to go through customs and immigration in Hong Kong. However, I can't find a way to book this trip on a single ticket.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:22 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by MikeNewman
I'm sorry if this is obvious, but where can I find a list of airlines with whom Cathay Pacific has interline baggage agreements?
Well, I have to admit I'm surprised. I guess I'll go ahead and book the tickets and see what happens!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
I will be departing through NRT T2 for the first time next month, and have a few questions. I will be on CX527 STD 14:45, travelling with another friend, me holding CX Gold.

1) I understand that CX counters open from 06:55-10:00 and 11:45-17:50, will I be able to check-in for my flight during the period of 06:55-10:00, or must I wait until 11:45?
2) Is fast track security/immigration available for Sapphire? And only for myself, or can I bring my companion to use it as well?
3) Is it possible to lounge hop between lounges in the main T2 building and the T2 Satellite, or cannot return to main building from Satellite like the situation in ICN T1 and T1 Satellite, where the train only goes one-way?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Sozee
I will be departing through NRT T2 for the first time next month, and have a few questions. I will be on CX527 STD 14:45, travelling with another friend, me holding CX Gold.

1) I understand that CX counters open from 06:55-10:00 and 11:45-17:50, will I be able to check-in for my flight during the period of 06:55-10:00, or must I wait until 11:45?
2) Is fast track security/immigration available for Sapphire? And only for myself, or can I bring my companion to use it as well?
3) Is it possible to lounge hop between lounges in the main T2 building and the T2 Satellite, or cannot return to main building from Satellite like the situation in ICN T1 and T1 Satellite, where the train only goes one-way?
1. Yes, you can check in at 06.55 for any CX flight on the same day.
2. There is fast Track for OWS but I’m not sure it work for your travel companion too.
3. There is no trouble traveling between T2 main and Satellite. The only transportation tool is your feet
Sozee likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:52 am

This must have been answered before but search came up with nothing, so I apologize in advance.

HKG-BKK shows a long-haul 777 with first class seats, but only sells business class. Who is eligible for seating in the first two rows? Are they reserved for pax with F itineraries, or does it go by status?

Thanks a lot,

Shuly
Old Feb 13, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Sorry I cant find if there is a specific thread for this question but I was wondering about choosing between 1A or 2A in CX F. I'm travelling alone so of course realize those are the best 2 seats since only 2 ppl on that aisle. I like that 2A has a little more privacy from the galley and lav not to mention literally not a single passenger walking by your seat. Is it worth getting 2A and taking the risk that a passenger with a baby can bump me later on? Also, 2k is open so even if I took 2A maybe a person with a baby would be assigned 2K for their bassinet seat. How often does a baby travel in F on CX and furthermore how much better is 2A than 1A or is it just best to play it safe and take 1A ? Thx in advance for your recommendations.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Sorry I cant find if there is a specific thread for this question but I was wondering about choosing between 1A or 2A in CX F. I'm travelling alone so of course realize those are the best 2 seats since only 2 ppl on that aisle. I like that 2A has a little more privacy from the galley and lav not to mention literally not a single passenger walking by your seat. Is it worth getting 2A and taking the risk that a passenger with a baby can bump me later on? Also, 2k is open so even if I took 2A maybe a person with a baby would be assigned 2K for their bassinet seat. How often does a baby travel in F on CX and furthermore how much better is 2A than 1A or is it just best to play it safe and take 1A ? Thx in advance for your recommendations.
Not sure if this is the right post, but I'll try to help out. What equipment will you be flying on?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
WOW, you are really working hard on your potential trip.

I am sensitive to noise and avoid the first row at all cost. Others might be less sensitive.
1D&K are near galley noise. 1A is uiter but near toilet used by pax and occasionally staff. I had flights where people used the forward space for chatting. The curtain is not enough to contain the noise.
2A is best, but 2K good too. I do not dislike 2D (preferred to 1A for me).
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
Not sure if this is the right post, but I'll try to help out. What equipment will you be flying on?

Its a 777. I believe that is their only plane with F. 1A & 2A are the best since those 2 are separated from the other 4 seats by the wall.. I can get 2A if I call in as its not ever able to be booked online. 2A seems the best seat as you arent as close to the lav or galley. Just you take a risk if someone calls in with a baby. They do have to pay 10% of the ticket fee to bring a baby. I'm sure the chances are super slim but at the same time maybe its better too just take 1A and know I will 100% be on the side I want. 1A just was worrying me with sleeping a FA's making noise. However, I feel that CX FA's will maybe have a little more respect for those sleeping than AA FA's. And anyways I have read that in the very front row of the mini J cabin there is storage there and people have said FA's are in and out of that often (so maybe that even would be a reason not to take row 2 since outside of the curtain there really isnt anything else separating this storage area by the first row of J.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
WOW, you are really working hard on your potential trip.

I am sensitive to noise and avoid the first row at all cost. Others might be less sensitive.
1D&K are near galley noise. 1A is uiter but near toilet used by pax and occasionally staff. I had flights where people used the forward space for chatting. The curtain is not enough to contain the noise.
2A is best, but 2K good too. I do not dislike 2D (preferred to 1A for me).
Thanks for the help !! Have you ever been bumped out of 2A/2K with someone with a baby? I called CX and can get 2A/2K but could potentially be bumped.

I read a few reviews of people taking 1A and it not being sold out in F and 2A being open since most people maybe dont realize they can snag it online. Thus, you can use 1A as your seat and 2A as your bed and have the entire side to yourself. That would be cool but I would think most times with only 6 seats it sells out.

Yes, working hard on my trip. Pretty much all done with it and then can sit back and just hope it happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.