Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
The Cathay Pacific Inflight Experience FAQs.

For information on CX equipment registration, new addition and retrofit status, and which equipment operate to which destinations:

Fleet, Route, Configuration Details about entire CX and KA Fleet:
* CX and KA Fleet: Cathay Pacific (CX) and Cathay Dragon (KA) Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

I’m looking at Cathay’s schedules and don't know what “Equipment” is meant by the three letter code. What do all the different three letter alphanumeric codes mean?

Cathay's schedules only display the IATA standard three letter alphanumeric codes for aircraft type (i.e. 773, 772, 333, 350 and 77W) rather than Cathay's own three letter alphanumeric equipment codes. The table below lists Cathay's internal three letter equipment codes, together with a breakdown of the types of seats installed on that particular aircraft.

Code:
Code  Operates     First Class   Business Class   Premium Econ.  Economy Class
 LONGHAUL 
 33E   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           No             Cradle
 33K   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           Yes            Cradle
 35G   Long Haul    -             New Cirrus       Yes            New cradle 
 77G   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           Yes            Cradle
 77H   Long Haul    Suite         Cirrus           Yes            Cradle 
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 REGIONAL
 33P   Regional     -             Regional         No          Hard Shell/Cradle
 772Z  Regional     No            Regional         No              Cradle
 73Z   Regional     No            Regional         No             Hard shell

See this link for pictures of the different types of business class seats: Cathay Pacific Business Class seats

Which of Cathay’s aircraft operate where?
We unofficially divide Cathay's aircraft into two types of product:
  • Long Haul (77G, 77H, 33E, 33K and 35G); and
  • Regional (33P, B772Z, 73Z).

We also unofficially divide Cathay's destination network into three zones:
  • Long Haul (Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand);
  • Medium Haul (Middle East and India); and
  • Regional (rest of Asia).

Generally, aircraft are deployed as follows:

1. If you are flying to a Long Haul zoned destination, your flight will ALWAYS be operated by a Long Haul aircraft.
Sometimes when looking at the schedule, it will show that your aircraft is 773 for a long haul destination. So long as you are flying to or from a Long Haul zoned destination your flight will ALWAYS be on a 777-300ER with Long Haul Product. Cathay's regional "773" has derated engines and it is simply physically impossible for them to fly to Europe or North America.

2. If you are flying to a Medium Haul zoned destination, the type of product on your flight will DEPEND on your specific destination and flight number.
Certain destinations are always served by Long Haul product, while other destinations might be served by Long Haul product on certain flights only. Generally these flights are "sticky", i.e. they are always scheduled to be operated by Long Haul products. However, unlike Long Haul destinations, these "sticky" Medium Haul zoned Long Haul product flights may sometimes, but rarely be subject to aircraft swaps to a Regional product due to operational (tech problems) requirements.

3. If you are flying to a Regional zoned destination, you may get EITHER a Regional product or a Long Haul product.
Certain regional destinations have "sticky" flights operated by Long Haul product; other regional destinations see Long Haul product on an ad hoc basis.

What is the best way to definitively determine which aircraft is scheduled on the particular flight I want to take?

Look at the seat map of the aircraft assigned to your flight. This can be done in one of two ways:

1. If you have an existing booking and are flying in Business Class, log in to Manage My Booking on cathaypacific.com. Pull up the seat map (select my seat) and look at the seat map (using the guide below) to ascertain the equipment currently assigned to your flight.

2. If you have not made a booking, or are travelling in Economy Class (and hence you do not have access to a JCL seat map) you can still use the purchases page to ascertain the configuration of the generic aircraft code you are given. Make a dummy booking for Business Class and then at the entry of traveller's details page to choose a seat, which will bring up the seat maps. The trick is to identify the layout: any aircraft which has more than two seats windowside (e.g. 2-2-2 or 2-3-2 configuration) in Business Class will be Regional product.

Be warned that aircraft switches between type are extremely common on regional flights, depending on maintenance requirements.

Will I get an amenity kit in First/Business class on my flight?

Long haul zoned flights: Yes
Medium Haul: Only on overnight sectors
Regional: No even if your regional flight is an overnight redeye.
Business Class Amenity Kits
First Class Amenity Kits

What is considered a regional flight and medium haul flight
Regional - Mainland China (PEK, PVG), Japan (CTS, FUK, KIX, HND, NGO, NRT), Indonesia (CGK, DPS, SUB), Malaysia (KUL), Philippines (CEB, MNL), Singapore (SIN), South Korea (ICN), Thailand (BKK)
Medium haul - India (BOM, DEL, HYD, MAA), Maldives (MLE), Middle East (BAH, DXB, RUH), Sri Lanka (CMB)

What will I eat on my flight?

Here are the most recent links to menus:

Links to menus
Discuss your meal options here

What are the seats like on Cathay Pacific?

You can find details and pictures of the different classes of travel at the Cathay Pacific website: Travel Classes

Where can I see seat maps for Cathay Pacific?

Cathay Pacific Seat Maps

What are the best seats in First Class?

1A, 1K, 2A and 2K are essentially the same seat. Similarly 1D and 2D are similar to each other.

Row 1 is closer to the galley so may be slightly noisier during meal times. The entry for suites 1D and 2D are on the right-hand aisle (i.e. the same aisle as 1K and 2K). This means that 1A and 2A could have less foot traffic. However, sometimes that this is compensated for by cabin crew using the left-hand aisle when they need to access the forward galley.

When flying long haul business class on a 777, is it better to sit in the "mini cabin" at the front, or in the second section?

There are a number of threads on this topic, which is open to personal opinion. Please do a search on the terms "mini cabin" "dorm room". These threads have some common opinions:
12D or 12J or the other part of J
12A or 16K on 77W New J Class?
How to get seat assignment for 11D & 11G on the 777-300ER?

What are the best Business Class seats on a A330 (long haul)?

The A330s have the "Reverse Herringbone" seats, also referred to as "Cirrus" or "New Business Class". The seat configuration is 1-2-1. The window seats are angled towards the window, and the middle pair of seats are angled towards each other. There are two cabins - rows 11-18 in Zone A between doors 1 and 2; and rows 19-22 in Zone B just behind door 2. The second cabin is smaller but there will be foot traffic from Economy Class passengers during door 2 during boarding. Row 18 is missing a window.

What are the best Business Class seats on a 777 (long haul)?

777s have the "Reverse Herringbone" seats, also referred to as "Cirrus" or "New Business Class". The seat configuration is 1-2-1. The window seats are angled towards the window, and the middle pair of seats are angled towards each other.
77G (3-class aircraft without First class)
Row 19 is missing both windows.

77H
There are two cabins; a main cabin in Zone B between doors 2 and 3 consisting of rows 15-26 and a smaller "mini-cabin" forward of doors 2 and behind the First Class cabin consisting of rows 11-12. Some like the quiet and privacy of the mini-cabin; while others prefer the spaciousness of the main Business Class cabin.

Note missing windows on the 77H as follows:
15A is missing both windows.
16K is missing one window.
21AK is missing the window nearest the pax's head.
24AK is missing the window nearest the pax's feet.

What are the best seats in Regional Business Class?

There is only one cabin in Regional Business Class. Generally you should have a look at the seat maps and find a seat that pleases you based on proximity to galleys and lavatories.

What are the best Business Class seats for a couple: Long Haul New Business Class?

The center seats D/G allow couples to be able to face each other and have a conversation over the partition. You are able to slide your seats forward to make conversation even easier, and then when you want some separate time, you can slide the seats back.

Some people prefer A/D or G/K seats as couples even though there is an aisle between you, as these seats allow you to physically visit the other person by crossing the aisle.

Also check this thread for opinions: New Business Class seating for couples

Best seats on 777-300ER Thread

Can I check my baggage through when connecting to another airline?

Yes. From Cathay's FAQ:

As a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will through-check you and your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our interline partners. However through-check may not be possible on their return journey if your travel begins with an airline that does not to provide separate ticket through-check service.

Passengers holding connecting itineraries booked on a single ticket or connecting between Cathay Pacific Group operated flights will be through-checked to their final destination regardless.
CX/KA has interline agreements with the following airlines. This means that baggage may be checked through to final destination even if travelling on separate tickets.

ELECTRONIC INTERLINE CARRIER AGREEMENTS-CX
INTERLINE CARRIER CODES :
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO

AA AB AC AE AF AH AI AM AS AT AV AY AZ BA
BD BG BI BL BP BR BT B6 B7 CA CI CM CO CZ
DL EI EK ET EY FI FJ FM GF GN HA HG HM
HR IB IC IG IR JC JJ JL JO JP JQ JU KA KC
KE KL KM KQ KU KW LA LG LH LO LP LR LX LY
MD ME MF MH MI MS MU MX NF NH NU NX NZ OA
OK OM OS OU OZ PG PK PR PS PX QF QR RA SA
SB SC SK SN SQ SU SV S7 TA TG TK TM TN TP
UA UL UN US UU VN VS VX WS WY W5 XL ZH 4M
9W
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
For DM/GO Members: say you are flying in Y out of HKG and you arrive to the gate whilst Y pax are boarding. You'll still board through the Priority lane, however will you board through the First/Business Class bridge?

Just curious what everyone else does.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If the bridge is still attached, then yes. But often it is detached once most of the F/J passengers have boarded.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by somemale
For DM/GO Members: say you are flying in Y out of HKG and you arrive to the gate whilst Y pax are boarding. You'll still board through the Priority lane, however will you board through the First/Business Class bridge?

i hv never actually boarded Y with the front bridge lol

that’s also got to do with me boarding v early (when theres no logjam) or very late i guess since Ive gotten OWS/OWE.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
My wife and I just made our first Cathay booking in Business Class (HKG-NRT-HNL), and we would appreciate expert insights regarding the following questions:

1. How far in advance can we check in at the airport?

2. Our tickets are all issued by Cathay, but the second flight is on JL. I called into Cathay and asked them for a record locator for the JL flight, and the agent said that JL would be using the same record locator as the originating Cathay flight. Is this correct?

3. Are Cathay business class cabins generally full?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 747FC
My wife and I just made our first Cathay booking in Business Class (HKG-NRT-HNL), and we would appreciate expert insights regarding the following questions:

1. How far in advance can we check in at the airport?

2. Our tickets are all issued by Cathay, but the second flight is on JL. I called into Cathay and asked them for a record locator for the JL flight, and the agent said that JL would be using the same record locator as the originating Cathay flight. Is this correct?

Many thanks!
1. Normally you can check-in in town at Airport Express 24 hours before, though since you're technically flying to the US, I am not too sure.

2. You can try it out on the JL website. If I recall correctly, JL recently did a system change, so yes it may be correct.

3. This is impossible to answer, and even harder to answer without the details of your HKG-NRT flight.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:07 pm

Nope, I've never done that before, and that just seems plain strange (and inconvenient!). You'll have to walk a longer distance, and your walk will be obstructed by F/J passengers stowing their bags.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by clubeurope
2. You can try it out on the JL website. If I recall correctly, JL recently did a system change, so yes it may be correct.
Yes, both CX and JL use Amadeus.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Given you are hailing from the US as per your location: Unlike (most?) airlines in the US, CX has no "gate upgrade system" where elites can stand by for open seats in higher classes. So unless op up for some reason, CX will happily fly with a half empty business class even if the back is filled to the last seat.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
1. Normally you can check-in in town at Airport Express 24 hours before, though since you're technically flying to the US, I am not too sure.
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I will be checking in at the airport after disembarking from a cruise ship. I was wondering whether there was a rigid checkin window, or if the agents allow checkin throughout the day.

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yes, both CX and JL use Amadeus.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by gpia
Given you are hailing from the US as per your location: Unlike (most?) airlines in the US, CX has no "gate upgrade system" where elites can stand by for open seats in higher classes. So unless op up for some reason, CX will happily fly with a half empty business class even if the back is filled to the last seat.
Thank you. Actually, we have confirmed J seats. I was just curious whether --like you observe--the J cabin will be packed or perhaps sparsely populated.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:41 am

MU is still an interline partner of CX?

Is there any official info from CX on their interline partner? I can't find any... Thx
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Nope, I've never done that before, and that just seems plain strange (and inconvenient!). You'll have to walk a longer distance, and your walk will be obstructed by F/J passengers stowing their bags.
The reason I did it was because of the massive line still on the bridge through the Y bridge, but literally zero wait on the First/Biz bridge. I was definitely in my Y seat way before the line got any shorter.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:59 pm

The reason I did it was because of the massive line still on the bridge through the Y bridge, but literally zero wait on the First/Biz bridge. I was definitely in my Y seat way before the line got any shorter.
If that works for you that's great! I guess it works if you board later when Y have started to board, when there defo will be queues at the Y jetbridge.
somemale likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
If that works for you that's great! I guess it works if you board later when Y have started to board, when there defo will be queues at the Y jetbridge.
And it probably works if your Y seat is close to the front, which it probably will be given your status! I've done it once myself when the J pax were all seated.
somemale likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:53 pm

I'm looking at redeeming some avios for HKG-TPE in October. I noticed on some flights CX uses long-haul widebodies configuration, with "proper" business class, while on other it's the regional product.

Are equipment swaps super-freqent on that route, or can I assume if I book a flight with long-haul C, it'll end up being long-haul C?

I know it's a short flight, but I wanted to bring my GF along, who never flown C before — I'm fine with "splurging" the additional avios if we'll end up on long-haul config, but it kinda misses the point if it'll be the regional one.

I know October it's still a fair ways out — so maybe it stabilizes closer to departures? Checking the calendar there seems to be plenty of availability at T-7, so if it's clearer by then which flights would have the long-haul config I might hold off with booking until closer to departure.

Last edited by klausa; Jul 17, 2019 at 2:06 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by maplenight
Is there any official info from CX on their interline partner? I can't find any... Thx
Yes it is.

Code:
W/*CX‡*MU«                                                      
 CX-160 CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS/CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS LTD       

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING                                  
       MU-781 CHINA EASTERN AIRLINES/CHINA EASTERN AIRLINES     

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO                                         
       MU

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.