Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
The Cathay Pacific Inflight Experience FAQs.

For information on CX equipment registration, new addition and retrofit status, and which equipment operate to which destinations:

Fleet, Route, Configuration Details about entire CX and KA Fleet:
* CX and KA Fleet: Cathay Pacific (CX) and Cathay Dragon (KA) Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

I’m looking at Cathay’s schedules and don't know what “Equipment” is meant by the three letter code. What do all the different three letter alphanumeric codes mean?

Cathay's schedules only display the IATA standard three letter alphanumeric codes for aircraft type (i.e. 773, 772, 333, 350 and 77W) rather than Cathay's own three letter alphanumeric equipment codes. The table below lists Cathay's internal three letter equipment codes, together with a breakdown of the types of seats installed on that particular aircraft.

Code:
Code  Operates     First Class   Business Class   Premium Econ.  Economy Class
 LONGHAUL 
 33E   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           No             Cradle
 33K   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           Yes            Cradle
 35G   Long Haul    -             New Cirrus       Yes            New cradle 
 77G   Long Haul    -             Cirrus           Yes            Cradle
 77H   Long Haul    Suite         Cirrus           Yes            Cradle 
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 REGIONAL
 33P   Regional     -             Regional         No          Hard Shell/Cradle
 772Z  Regional     No            Regional         No              Cradle
 73Z   Regional     No            Regional         No             Hard shell

See this link for pictures of the different types of business class seats: Cathay Pacific Business Class seats

Which of Cathay’s aircraft operate where?
We unofficially divide Cathay's aircraft into two types of product:
  • Long Haul (77G, 77H, 33E, 33K and 35G); and
  • Regional (33P, B772Z, 73Z).

We also unofficially divide Cathay's destination network into three zones:
  • Long Haul (Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand);
  • Medium Haul (Middle East and India); and
  • Regional (rest of Asia).

Generally, aircraft are deployed as follows:

1. If you are flying to a Long Haul zoned destination, your flight will ALWAYS be operated by a Long Haul aircraft.
Sometimes when looking at the schedule, it will show that your aircraft is 773 for a long haul destination. So long as you are flying to or from a Long Haul zoned destination your flight will ALWAYS be on a 777-300ER with Long Haul Product. Cathay's regional "773" has derated engines and it is simply physically impossible for them to fly to Europe or North America.

2. If you are flying to a Medium Haul zoned destination, the type of product on your flight will DEPEND on your specific destination and flight number.
Certain destinations are always served by Long Haul product, while other destinations might be served by Long Haul product on certain flights only. Generally these flights are "sticky", i.e. they are always scheduled to be operated by Long Haul products. However, unlike Long Haul destinations, these "sticky" Medium Haul zoned Long Haul product flights may sometimes, but rarely be subject to aircraft swaps to a Regional product due to operational (tech problems) requirements.

3. If you are flying to a Regional zoned destination, you may get EITHER a Regional product or a Long Haul product.
Certain regional destinations have "sticky" flights operated by Long Haul product; other regional destinations see Long Haul product on an ad hoc basis.

What is the best way to definitively determine which aircraft is scheduled on the particular flight I want to take?

Look at the seat map of the aircraft assigned to your flight. This can be done in one of two ways:

1. If you have an existing booking and are flying in Business Class, log in to Manage My Booking on cathaypacific.com. Pull up the seat map (select my seat) and look at the seat map (using the guide below) to ascertain the equipment currently assigned to your flight.

2. If you have not made a booking, or are travelling in Economy Class (and hence you do not have access to a JCL seat map) you can still use the purchases page to ascertain the configuration of the generic aircraft code you are given. Make a dummy booking for Business Class and then at the entry of traveller's details page to choose a seat, which will bring up the seat maps. The trick is to identify the layout: any aircraft which has more than two seats windowside (e.g. 2-2-2 or 2-3-2 configuration) in Business Class will be Regional product.

Be warned that aircraft switches between type are extremely common on regional flights, depending on maintenance requirements.

Will I get an amenity kit in First/Business class on my flight?

Long haul zoned flights: Yes
Medium Haul: Only on overnight sectors
Regional: No even if your regional flight is an overnight redeye.
Business Class Amenity Kits
First Class Amenity Kits

What is considered a regional flight and medium haul flight
Regional - Mainland China (PEK, PVG), Japan (CTS, FUK, KIX, HND, NGO, NRT), Indonesia (CGK, DPS, SUB), Malaysia (KUL), Philippines (CEB, MNL), Singapore (SIN), South Korea (ICN), Thailand (BKK)
Medium haul - India (BOM, DEL, HYD, MAA), Maldives (MLE), Middle East (BAH, DXB, RUH), Sri Lanka (CMB)

What will I eat on my flight?

Here are the most recent links to menus:

Links to menus
Discuss your meal options here

What are the seats like on Cathay Pacific?

You can find details and pictures of the different classes of travel at the Cathay Pacific website: Travel Classes

Where can I see seat maps for Cathay Pacific?

Cathay Pacific Seat Maps

What are the best seats in First Class?

1A, 1K, 2A and 2K are essentially the same seat. Similarly 1D and 2D are similar to each other.

Row 1 is closer to the galley so may be slightly noisier during meal times. The entry for suites 1D and 2D are on the right-hand aisle (i.e. the same aisle as 1K and 2K). This means that 1A and 2A could have less foot traffic. However, sometimes that this is compensated for by cabin crew using the left-hand aisle when they need to access the forward galley.

When flying long haul business class on a 777, is it better to sit in the "mini cabin" at the front, or in the second section?

There are a number of threads on this topic, which is open to personal opinion. Please do a search on the terms "mini cabin" "dorm room". These threads have some common opinions:
12D or 12J or the other part of J
12A or 16K on 77W New J Class?
How to get seat assignment for 11D & 11G on the 777-300ER?

What are the best Business Class seats on a A330 (long haul)?

The A330s have the "Reverse Herringbone" seats, also referred to as "Cirrus" or "New Business Class". The seat configuration is 1-2-1. The window seats are angled towards the window, and the middle pair of seats are angled towards each other. There are two cabins - rows 11-18 in Zone A between doors 1 and 2; and rows 19-22 in Zone B just behind door 2. The second cabin is smaller but there will be foot traffic from Economy Class passengers during door 2 during boarding. Row 18 is missing a window.

What are the best Business Class seats on a 777 (long haul)?

777s have the "Reverse Herringbone" seats, also referred to as "Cirrus" or "New Business Class". The seat configuration is 1-2-1. The window seats are angled towards the window, and the middle pair of seats are angled towards each other.
77G (3-class aircraft without First class)
Row 19 is missing both windows.

77H
There are two cabins; a main cabin in Zone B between doors 2 and 3 consisting of rows 15-26 and a smaller "mini-cabin" forward of doors 2 and behind the First Class cabin consisting of rows 11-12. Some like the quiet and privacy of the mini-cabin; while others prefer the spaciousness of the main Business Class cabin.

Note missing windows on the 77H as follows:
15A is missing both windows.
16K is missing one window.
21AK is missing the window nearest the pax's head.
24AK is missing the window nearest the pax's feet.

What are the best seats in Regional Business Class?

There is only one cabin in Regional Business Class. Generally you should have a look at the seat maps and find a seat that pleases you based on proximity to galleys and lavatories.

What are the best Business Class seats for a couple: Long Haul New Business Class?

The center seats D/G allow couples to be able to face each other and have a conversation over the partition. You are able to slide your seats forward to make conversation even easier, and then when you want some separate time, you can slide the seats back.

Some people prefer A/D or G/K seats as couples even though there is an aisle between you, as these seats allow you to physically visit the other person by crossing the aisle.

Also check this thread for opinions: New Business Class seating for couples

Best seats on 777-300ER Thread

Can I check my baggage through when connecting to another airline?

Yes. From Cathay's FAQ:

As a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will through-check you and your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our interline partners. However through-check may not be possible on their return journey if your travel begins with an airline that does not to provide separate ticket through-check service.

Passengers holding connecting itineraries booked on a single ticket or connecting between Cathay Pacific Group operated flights will be through-checked to their final destination regardless.
CX/KA has interline agreements with the following airlines. This means that baggage may be checked through to final destination even if travelling on separate tickets.

ELECTRONIC INTERLINE CARRIER AGREEMENTS-CX
INTERLINE CARRIER CODES :
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO

AA AB AC AE AF AH AI AM AS AT AV AY AZ BA
BD BG BI BL BP BR BT B6 B7 CA CI CM CO CZ
DL EI EK ET EY FI FJ FM GF GN HA HG HM
HR IB IC IG IR JC JJ JL JO JP JQ JU KA KC
KE KL KM KQ KU KW LA LG LH LO LP LR LX LY
MD ME MF MH MI MS MU MX NF NH NU NX NZ OA
OK OM OS OU OZ PG PK PR PS PX QF QR RA SA
SB SC SK SN SQ SU SV S7 TA TG TK TM TN TP
UA UL UN US UU VN VS VX WS WY W5 XL ZH 4M
9W
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I believe piotrkol1 is trying to enter his KTN, not FF #.
Ouch, I left my answer listed, because the answer itself might be useful for others.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Hi all,

First time posting on the CX forum, been lurking for some time as I spend a fair bit of time in Asia. I'll be flying HKG-KUL next week in KA Y, and looking for some seating advice. I'm currently on 35A (bulkhead). Would someone have an idea of the legroom at those seats? Optionally, I could take an exit row seat further back at ca. row 55, but that is quite far back indeed. I'm 6'3", so on a 4-hour flight the legroom does matter.

Thankful for any insights.

Edit: The aircraft seems to be 33H.

Last edited by SuloL; Mar 14, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: Added stuff
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SuloL
Hi all,

First time posting on the CX forum, been lurking for some time as I spend a fair bit of time in Asia. I'll be flying HKG-KUL next week in KA Y, and looking for some seating advice. I'm currently on 35A (bulkhead). Would someone have an idea of the legroom at those seats? Optionally, I could take an exit row seat further back at ca. row 55, but that is quite far back indeed. I'm 6'3", so on a 4-hour flight the legroom does matter.

I don't know the answer but welcome to the forum!

Bumping here in hope someone else knows.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:01 pm

Hi all,

Sorry you haven't received an answer yet. I don't recall much about the 330 bulkheads either, but try to avoid them in general from several experiences on A32x's where you don't get a legroom "extension" - just more space to move your feet around.

What I can tell you, and which is also true for the 330, is that the TV will be on the wall in front of you at an awkward height (not as bad for someone tall like yourself, but still). Plus, you'll be too far away to enjoy a movie due to the screen size. Having flown with friends who are of your height, they've always been very comfortable in the exit rows.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Hi all,

33H were CX planes that got transferred to KA I believe. I'm 6'1" and I think 22A/K and 35A/K are all alright (assuming you want a window). Of course, 55C/H will be the best for legroom but you need to pay if you don't have status. 55A/K depends on your personal preference. You have the exit row protruding to you, but if you don't have to put your legs straight there's good legroom for part of the seat (if you understand what I mean).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by gpia
Sorry you haven't received an answer yet. I don't recall much about the 330 bulkheads either, but try to avoid them in general from several experiences on A32x's where you don't get a legroom "extension" - just more space to move your feet around.

What I can tell you, and which is also true for the 330, is that the TV will be on the wall in front of you at an awkward height (not as bad for someone tall like yourself, but still). Plus, you'll be too far away to enjoy a movie due to the screen size. Having flown with friends who are of your height, they've always been very comfortable in the exit rows.
Thanks for the tips. Yes, this actually stems from mistakenly assigning myself one of those A320 bulkheads once... I've flown in the A330 bulkheads a few times, but it has always been in other configurations, and in the first row of the economy cabin (22). I actually prefer aisle seats, but 35C and the mirror one are bassinet locations, so unable to select those in MMB. I think I'll take an exit seat at the aisle for the outbound, and take a look at the situation at row 35 when passing by, and then make a decision on the inbound.

Will report back on the experiences next week!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Hi there, I would be flying from KUL to HKG on KA,and then to PVG on CX. There will be a tight but doable(according to many) 50min connection time in HKG. Would my luggage make it on the same flight usually or I would need to wait for my luggage on the next flight from HKG?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Does anyone know whether seat 39K on the 777-200 has a window? Any particular features (good/bad) I should be aware of for this seat? Route is HKG-DPS.

Thank you!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by teo1991
Hi there, I would be flying from KUL to HKG on KA,and then to PVG on CX. There will be a tight but doable(according to many) 50min connection time in HKG. Would my luggage make it on the same flight usually or I would need to wait for my luggage on the next flight from HKG?
It should make it assuming no delay on the inbound.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by teo1991
50 minutes is plenty of time. A friend of mine’s luggage made it with 21 minutes for a connection to CAN. But i have had a missconnect once for luggage on a 45 minute connection. CX will forward the bag to your hotel or accommodation.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:14 am

Hi all,

Ok, I solved this mystery by sitting at 55C on the outbound, and 35A on the inbound, here are my observations:

55C: Legroom is practically unlimited, except during takeoff/landing when one of the FAs is sitting opposite to you on the jumpseat. People queuing up to lavatories disturbed my long legs once or twice, but not to an irritating extent. The seat was good, but sitting so far back was an interesting experience otherwise. I had the pleasure of experiencing a big, loud tour group from somewhere up north surrounding me. That was a good reminder of why I bought my noise cancelling headphones in the first place. One of the FAs was very kind to ask for my meal preference on the ground, and served it before others had even realised there would be food on offer (slightly awkward! But appreciate the service gesture).

35A: The knee room is adequate. With my 6'3" frame and surprisingly long thighs, I had roughly 10cm of free knee space - enough to sit comfortably, legs crossed. Obviously no room to fully stretch the legs with my limbs. The IFE screen position was actually just excellent in my mind, right on eye level. 35C is the designated bassinet seat, and the bassinet table extends to the territory of 35A as well, so beware of the risk of parents with infants who might need the table. There was also enough space to use the lavatory etc. without having to climb over the person at 35C.

Hope this can help someone with their seat selection!
gpia likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Does anybody have recommendations of the best Economy seats available for the below KA planes? I'm able to choose Bulkhead and Emergency exit rows as well due to my Emerald status.

KA734 KUL-HKG A333 (A33H) - Chose first row 22A, what about 35 and 55?
KA396 HKG-HND A321 - Chose Exit Row 35A facing flight attendant. I don't mind first row 22 bulkhead as I need to catch a connecting flight and I'll probably skip meal service and just sleep all the way.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Does anybody have recommendations of the best Economy seats available for the below KA planes? I'm able to choose Bulkhead and Emergency exit rows as well due to my Emerald status.

KA734 KUL-HKG A333 (A33H) - Chose first row 22A, what about 35 and 55?
KA396 HKG-HND A321 - Chose Exit Row 35A facing flight attendant. I don't mind first row 22 bulkhead as I need to catch a connecting flight and I'll probably skip meal service and just sleep all the way.
My recollection of KA's narrowbodies is a bit sketchy, but from what I remember the bulkheads aren't all that great. They are much better than the quite tight seat pitch in standard rows, but not masses of legroom. The exit at 35A/K however is a good choice.

For the A330s, I've always taken either the exit, or one of the bulkheads. The bulkheads are ok on those planes
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
My recollection of KA's narrowbodies is a bit sketchy, but from what I remember the bulkheads aren't all that great. They are much better than the quite tight seat pitch in standard rows, but not masses of legroom. The exit at 35A/K however is a good choice.

For the A330s, I've always taken either the exit, or one of the bulkheads. The bulkheads are ok on those planes
^
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
I'm hoping to move to an earlier flight tonight (non-US) but have checked baggage and have already put it through the counters at the Airport Express this morning already.

If I change my flight, would you know if they automatically look for it an re-tag it? Would want to know before I even attempt to head out earlier as I have never done this with checked baggage. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.