Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Wing-let - a lounge for any questions and discussions [NEWBIE QUESTIONS WELCOME]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Welcome to The Wing-let - a lounge to discuss any topics.

This is a place for newbie questions, any topics semi-related to Cathay Pacific, where everyone is welcome to ask and discuss.

No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Cathay Pacific you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here. Feel free to post here without fear of retribution for not using search.

As with the rest of FlyerTalk, discussions here should be constructive, courteous without aggression or personal attacks.

If anyone feels a good topic is posted here that should be broken out into a separate thread, please use the red triangle to report the post, and it will be considered for its own thread.
Print Wikipost

The Wing-let - a lounge for any questions and discussions [NEWBIE QUESTIONS WELCOME]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by not2017
I have Google searched this question: When does Cathay release unsold premium cabin space to be used as award travel. Answers I have received are about 7 days to as little as 24 hours before flight time.
I've been searching availability a lot on LAX-HKG and SFO-HKG flights over the last few weeks. As a general rule, they have seemed to be releasing 1 or more F award seats on many flights right around 7 days out. Such that if you check flights departing 9-30 days away, very limited F award seating available, but then seats open up right around 7 days, but then those seats are snagged within a few days, so limited availability on flights departing 4-5 days from now.

Whether they also release more seats 24 or 48 hours out, I don't know, but there has definitely been something to the 7 day thing when I've checked.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
First CX Flights!

Right have finally sorted out my new year after messing about looking for redemptions when this beauty came up

Code:
Date	Flight	From	To	Depart	Arrive	Aircraft	Asia Miles	Class	Booking Status	Seat
	27 Dec 2013, Fri	CX252	LHR	HKG	11:25	07:00(+1)	77W	-	First (Z)	Confirmed	01A
	28 Dec 2013, Sat	CX163	HKG	MEL	10:20	22:35	333	-	Business (U)	Confirmed	18A
Never flown F on any airline and the TR's seem to rave about the CX product on the 777

Anything I should be aware of? I picked 1A for the window seat but the other side was free too - any preferences? Business on the 2nd leg is fairly busy but that looked the best of what's left

Do I need to worry about my bags in HKG or just move between planes? ^

Looking forward to a few glasses of Krug
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:52 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by teledude
Right have finally sorted out my new year after messing about looking for redemptions when this beauty came up

Code:
Date	Flight	From	To	Depart	Arrive	Aircraft	Asia Miles	Class	Booking Status	Seat
	27 Dec 2013, Fri	CX252	LHR	HKG	11:25	07:00(+1)	77W	-	First (Z)	Confirmed	01A
	28 Dec 2013, Sat	CX163	HKG	MEL	10:20	22:35	333	-	Business (U)	Confirmed	18A
Never flown F on any airline and the TR's seem to rave about the CX product on the 777

Anything I should be aware of? I picked 1A for the window seat but the other side was free too - any preferences? Business on the 2nd leg is fairly busy but that looked the best of what's left

Do I need to worry about my bags in HKG or just move between planes? ^

Looking forward to a few glasses of Krug
Hi there and welcome to our forum! It's great you're excited about your first First flights.

We have some FAQs about the CX experience, so I suggest you have a look through them to get some ideas about tips regarding flying on CX.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...rules-628.html
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: Macro Polo
Changing FF from Marco Polo Gold to AAdvantage after checkin

Hi,

I'm going to be travelling economy on Cathay LHR to Sydney and have entered my Marco Gold number in the hope I am higher up the pecking order for an operational upgrade.
I do however want to earn AAdvantage or BA miles on the flight so can I change the frequnet flyer number after checkin, and if so how ?

Many thanks for any help.

PS I did try searching as I am sure this must have been asked before but nothing came up.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: Macro Polo
Special cabin baggage allowance

Hi,

Cathay website says Marco Polo gold gets special cabin baggage allowance 10kg.

Does that mean an Extra 10kg, I.e aren't you allowed 10kg anyway, on economy?

Also you get extra cracked agate allowance but I don't think you n put more than 23kg in a case from the Uk so des that mean yu have to ake an additional case or have I got that wrong?

Cheers

Chris
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CXchris
Hi,

Cathay website says Marco Polo gold gets special cabin baggage allowance 10kg.

Does that mean an Extra 10kg, I.e aren't you allowed 10kg anyway, on economy?
CX.com's website is very clear on both of your questions.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...n-baggage.html

Class Weight
First Class 15kg (33 lbs)
Business Class 10kg (22 lbs)
Premium Economy Class 7kg (15lbs)
Economy Class 7kg (15lbs)
Membership tiers Weight Allowance Extra Allowance
Diamond 15kg
Gold 10kg
Silver 10kg
Total of 17kg MAX

Also you get extra cracked agate allowance but I don't think you n put more than 23kg in a case from the Uk so des that mean yu have to ake an additional case or have I got that wrong?

Cheers

Chris
Weight System – for all countries except the Americas, and point-to-point flights between Hong Kong and New Zealand*
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...allowance.html
Maximum combined weight (See Note 1):
First: 40kg (88lbs)
Business: 30kg (66lbs)
Premium Economy: 25kg (55lbs)
Economy: 20kg (44lbs)
Maximum combined weight (See Note 1):
Diamond Member: Additional 20kg (44lbs)
Gold Member: Additional 15kg (33lbs)
Silver Member: Additional 10kg (22lbs)
ITotal of 35kg MAX
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX DM
I don't know what medication you were on when you typed the above but I would like some.

Further to the answer already given, each piece checked baggage cannot be over 32 kg without prior notification to CX (info from the same page as above). So although you get a total of 35 kg, they should be split into different pieces.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:30 am

Hello guys, got a quick question on KA Holidays. I booked a KA J package to PEK on CX Holidays, which explicitly states that the package is only valid on KA flights. I'm wondering if I can go to the airport early and switch to the 9am CX flight at airport check in. Cheers.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:49 am

JFK Terraces Lounge

Quick question RE: the BA Terraces lounge at JFK.

Do CX J passengers get access to the pre-flight "supper" buffet provided by BA? I've only ever done the buffet as an F passenger, so I know they carefully scrutinize BP's for access to that roped-off room.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by MattPol

Do CX J passengers get access to the pre-flight "supper" buffet provided by BA? I've only ever done the buffet as an F passenger, so I know they carefully scrutinize BP's for access to that roped-off room.
I think it's been reported around here that CX J pax are not eligible for the supper, but am not certain. This has been discussed, though, so a quick search should yield some info.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by MattPol

Nah. Just passengers flying in first class. Not even Oneworld Emerald has access.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Checked baggage fees

I'm flying PVG-HKG-SFO this week (yeah there is a direct PVG-SFO flight, I know). The PVG-HKG leg is on KA, whereas the HKG-SFO leg is on CX. Likewise for the return. All sectors in Y.

I'm going to SF for a ski/snowboarding trip. I am bringing some of my gear and it should be about 22 kg. It was around there last time I flew. The bag says 156 cm (so they may go by writing on the bag), but I measured it to be more than 163 cm lengthwise.

I am also hauling a lot of stuff back. The issue is that requires two additional suitcases to be checked at least. So I would have at least three bags checked on my return. To save money, I bought a new bag on Amazon and had it shipped to my friend's house (in SF). I am checking an empty suitcase as well with my snowboard bag.

To SF:
(1) Full snowboard bag;
(2) Empty suitcase.

Return from SF:
(1) Full snowboard bag;
(2) Full suitcase;
(3) Full suitcase.

I will make sure everything is under 23 kg, but I cannot be sure of this. My snowboard may be considered oversized.

To further complicate things, I am in the process of being status matched to CX Silver, but it may not come through before my first leg.

In this scenario and worse case, what should I expect my baggage fee to be?

---

Now I am also considering bringing an extra empty suitcase going to SF. I will basically put a smaller empty suitcase into the bigger one.

So this would look like this~

To SF:
(1) Full snowboard bag;
(2) Otherwise empty suitcase with smaller empty suitcase inside.

Return from SF:
(1) Full snowboard bag;
(2) Full suitcase;
(3) Full suitcase;
(4) Full suitcase.

Obviously with an additional suitcase, I expect everything to definitely be within the weight limit of 23 kg.

How much more would the additional suitcase cost me?

----

Which is better? Am I better offer taking the risk of having two stuffed [and possibly overweight] suitcases or having three likely much lighter [and normal] weighted suitcases?

There is also one more issue I have considered is coming back with 4 suitcases will likely get me flagged by customs for a thorough inspection.

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by alphaod
I'm flying PVG-HKG-SFO this week (yeah there is a direct PVG-SFO flight, I know). The PVG-HKG leg is on KA, whereas the HKG-SFO leg is on CX. Likewise for the return. All sectors in Y.

I'm going to SF for a ski/snowboarding trip. I am bringing some of my gear and it should be about 22 kg. It was around there last time I flew. The bag says 156 cm (so they may go by writing on the bag), but I measured it to be more than 163 cm lengthwise.

I am also hauling a lot of stuff back. The issue is that requires two additional suitcases to be checked at least. So I would have at least three bags checked on my return. To save money, I bought a new bag on Amazon and had it shipped to my friend's house (in SF). I am checking an empty suitcase as well with my snowboard bag.

To SF:
(1) Full snowboard bag;
(2) Empty suitcase.

Return from SF:
(1) Full snowboard bag;
(2) Full suitcase;
(3) Full suitcase.

I will make sure everything is under 23 kg, but I cannot be sure of this. My snowboard may be considered oversized.

To further complicate things, I am in the process of being status matched to CX Silver, but it may not come through before my first leg.

In this scenario and worse case, what should I expect my baggage fee to be?

---

Now I am also considering bringing an extra empty suitcase going to SF. I will basically put a smaller empty suitcase into the bigger one.

So this would look like this~

To SF:
(1) Full snowboard bag;
(2) Otherwise empty suitcase with smaller empty suitcase inside.

Return from SF:
(1) Full snowboard bag;
(2) Full suitcase;
(3) Full suitcase;
(4) Full suitcase.

Obviously with an additional suitcase, I expect everything to definitely be within the weight limit of 23 kg.

How much more would the additional suitcase cost me?

----

Which is better? Am I better offer taking the risk of having two stuffed [and possibly overweight] suitcases or having three likely much lighter [and normal] weighted suitcases?

There is also one more issue I have considered is coming back with 4 suitcases will likely get me flagged by customs for a thorough inspection.

Thanks!
Consulting the CX website under "baggage":

The following articles, irrespective of their actual dimensions, may be considered as a bag of 158cm (62in) in size:

...snip...

One pair of snow skis with one pair of ski poles and one pair of ski boots, or one snow board and boots
So that may solve your oversized problem, at least, although I guess it depends on what else might be in the bag and how lenient they want to be if the contents are more than the board and the boots.

SL doesn't get you any extra baggage for an itinerary like yours that would be on the piece system instead of the weight system. So for a third bag you're looking at USD150, and I think USD100 for overweight bags. Depending on how urgently you'll need things after you get back to PVG, it may make sense just to ship stuff ahead.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82

So that may solve your oversized problem, at least, although I guess it depends on what else might be in the bag and how lenient they want to be if the contents are more than the board and the boots.

SL doesn't get you any extra baggage for an itinerary like yours that would be on the piece system instead of the weight system. So for a third bag you're looking at USD150, and I think USD100 for overweight bags. Depending on how urgently you'll need things after you get back to PVG, it may make sense just to ship stuff ahead.
Thanks for the response.

I usually avoid flying with so many checked bags (I like to fly light), but I do need to bring all theses back. The cost of shipping them would easily exceed a few hundred dollars if not more, and quite a number of things I do need them back to where I am now.

I just don't know CX's policy very well, mostly trying to figure out if they'll let me check 4 suitcases and is the pricing consistent at $150 for each additional bag over two pieces? Or do they charge for both my snowboard bag being both oversized and as an additional piece? (So $250 extra), or how do they do it?

I guess I'll easily find out tomorrow, but it's always good to be prepared so I'm not charged more than I should be.

EDIT: So earlier I checked my snowboard and they counted it as one of my bags. The check in agent did not charge me for oversize (it wasn't overweight at only 17 kg); he simply counted it as part of my allocation. At least that much I've saved!

Last edited by alphaod; Dec 31, 2013 at 7:28 am
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
Nah. Just passengers flying in first class. Not even Oneworld Emerald has access.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.