Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Ticketed R for CX 690 31 Jan and CX 659 4 Feb.
Gunning for a W>J upgrade but told the outbound is waitlisted when they are still selling I both ways with 4 seats left. E is still selling for the outbound. Inbound is cleared. Wonder what's up with CX redemption inventory
4 seats left 10days out?
come back to the question 2 days out.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:30 pm
cgo

Originally Posted by QRC3288
The fellow above has posted good reasons. Yet there is another, which is related to what you mention and it's possibly correct. CX is known to, sometimes (but certainly not always) upgrade members who are bumped up a tier the first time. I've seen two colleagues get upgraded their first flight as SL. Personally, 12+ years ago when I first hit SL just starting out with CX I was given an op-ups HKG-SIN. And I've read about it on here.
​​​​​​
Now I've never heard about this dynamic before for Green, but I think it is at least a possibility you got the upgrade as your first flight as an MPC member.

this happened to me, too. I have been travelling with cx for quite some time since 2006. But since the frequency of my travel is few and far in between, i never considered getting MPC, but was an asia miles member ever since.

I realised that at 2016, my travels will be more frequent, especially on the KIX to HKG segment, i decided fo try out MPC. Especially when i was counting the points of my future prospective travels and think that it will reach 300points (after the lst restructuring). Happily, i was upgraded to business from economy while travelling on KIX to HKG.

The anecdote here would be, for every set of roundtrip tickets i bought, i have been upgraded for at least one sector. I love how uncertain these things are, there is a sort of surprise waiting to happen (or not).

Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
hush... before some here accuses cx of watering down their ffp further after cx giving 2mm mpo members DM
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by cgo

this happened to me, too. I have been travelling with cx for quite some time since 2006. But since the frequency of my travel is few and far in between, i never considered getting MPC, but was an asia miles member ever since.

I realised that at 2016, my travels will be more frequent, especially on the KIX to HKG segment, i decided fo try out MPC. Especially when i was counting the points of my future prospective travels and think that it will reach 300points (after the lst restructuring). Happily, i was upgraded to business from economy while travelling on KIX to HKG.

The anecdote here would be, for every set of roundtrip tickets i bought, i have been upgraded for at least one sector. I love how uncertain these things are, there is a sort of surprise waiting to happen (or not).

happened to me as well. I travel just enough to maintain silver, but I didn’t join mpc until feb of last year, and it was right after I booked my flight (BOS-HKG-MNL RT) so I didn’t get mpc points for it (dumb, I know). But on the BOS-HKG leg I got op up from PE to J, boy was I happy!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by kar don
I am guessing your profile is old then? Shows AA plat..

Was PE completely 0'ed out?
Yeah to both. Haven't updated my profile since Hyatt rebranded, guess I should update
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Another data point for op-up:
CX619 (BKK-SIN) on a Sunday. MMB showing economy all the way till counter check-in at BKK, where myself (DM) and travelling companion (SL) were upgraded to business. Expertflyer was showing 0s throughout all classes before the flight.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Chance of one J seat becoming available

Flying BOM-HKG-SFO on Saturday into Sunday. Work only pays for PE. Transferred Citi TY to Asia Miles and upgraded BOM-HKG. No availability to SFO. Anyone experienced know if a seat will open up last minute? The business cabin is not full at all. Wondering if it’s worthwhile to proactively transfer more Citi TY points. I’ll likely be able to use Asia Miles to upgrade a flight within two years but not totally sure. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:47 pm

Is it correct that PEY Class E cannot be upgraded to business class with miles anymore? Trying to decide whether to book CX PEY or SQ PEY for travel between SFO and Singapore/Hong Kong.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SilverGGA
Is it correct that PEY Class E cannot be upgraded to business class with miles anymore? Trying to decide whether to book CX PEY or SQ PEY for travel between SFO and Singapore/Hong Kong.
Correct. E class cannot upgrade to J with miles.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Correct. E class cannot upgrade to J with miles.
Worthwhile to spend $100 on MP Green for a better chance for OP upgrade? (vs Asia Miles only).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:56 pm
cgo

Originally Posted by SilverGGA
Worthwhile to spend $100 on MP Green for a better chance for OP upgrade? (vs Asia Miles only).
Yes, but only if you have plans of many future travels with CX in the short-medium term (within the next 2 years). I find it to be extremely rewarding. (And I am now spoiled)
SilverGGA likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:24 pm

Redeeming upgrades for family members?

Has anyone redeemed upgrade awards for others when you're not travelling with them and if so, how do you actually do this? Would I need to call or can I do it through the Cathay or Asia Miles website? Normally for myself, I would log onto the Cathay website to redeem (I think, although I think I ended up needing to call them with my most recent upgrade).

Also, do they allow you to waitlist if no upgrade award is available?

I would purchase upgradable PEY fare, and use miles to upgrade/ (or more like waitlist to upgrade) to Business.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by suziemay
Has anyone redeemed upgrade awards for others when you're not travelling with them and if so, how do you actually do this? Would I need to call or can I do it through the Cathay or Asia Miles website? Normally for myself, I would log onto the Cathay website to redeem (I think, although I think I ended up needing to call them with my most recent upgrade).

Also, do they allow you to waitlist if no upgrade award is available?

I would purchase upgradable PEY fare, and use miles to upgrade/ (or more like waitlist to upgrade) to Business.

Thanks in advance!
[mod hat on] I merged your thread with this existing one because you may find some of your answers here.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
[mod hat off]
I did that many times. The passenger does not need to be a family member, but must be on your redemption list. If you are not traveling with the passenger, you must confirm and ticket the upgrade before hand (no instant upgrade at airport in this case).

Yes, you can waitlist. I usually call to do upgrade or waitlisting, but some good TAs can also handle that for you. Wait time for call can be very long depending on your CX status. I am CX GO and my wait time is usually none or very short.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
[mod hat on] I merged your thread with this existing one because you may find some of your answers here.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
[mod hat off]
I did that many times. The passenger does not need to be a family member, but must be on your redemption list. If you are not traveling with the passenger, you must confirm and ticket the upgrade before hand (no instant upgrade at airport in this case).

Yes, you can waitlist. I usually call to do upgrade or waitlisting, but some good TAs can also handle that for you. Wait time for call can be very long depending on your CX status. I am CX GO and my wait time is usually none or very short.
Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:13 pm

i have booked my ticket at cathay website, but when i logged in to asiamiles and click redeem upgrade, it bring me back to cathay website and says can't find my booking and ask me to update my membership number, i have done that and is still the same. Anyone experienced this before?

before i booked i have called asia miles and check there are seats available for upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.