Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:11 pm

Updated loadings CX198 AKL-HKG Sunday 6 Jan & CX321 HKG-BCN Monday 7 January 2019

Hi, could anyone please advise updated loadings across all classes and all booking categories, CX198 AKL-HKG Sunday 6 Jan 2019 and CX321 HKG-BCN Monday 7 January 2019

Last edited by Adgwn; Jan 3, 2019 at 2:31 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:22 pm
cgo

Originally Posted by fakecd
no u have better luck on instant stractch lotto that pays 3k usd to buy ur upgrade

thats return to work travel peak. J loading of 0 and 1 means filled with pax whos schedule are fixed, unlike other times when there is business trips travel with flexibility. so expect all J to turn up.

i was upgraded from economy to premium eco on the hkg to kix leg. It is not much, but hey, a freeebie is always fun. I would have loved the longer heathrow upgrade, since they made use of the 3-4-3 b777s. It is quite a squeeze. But still, it is very nice to get free things
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
When can you apply the instant upgrade?

Tried to do so just now and was asked to come back to the lounge desk at 1.5 hours before the flight

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
On a recent longhaul flight, wife and I booked separate tickets (hers on CX, mine on AA). She's MPC Silver, I am OWE. She got upgraded to PE from Y - nothing special for me with an AA ticket on CX metal. I do fly on CX way more than she does so it shouldn't be a "CIV" score thing.

Out of curiosity, we asked nicely if Silver should get preference over OWE and didn't get a straight answer (CX staff out of SFO is pretty clueless - one even said MPC Silver is higher than OWE (no proof one way or another but I remember seeing a chart on FT that surmises OWE should having higher priority over MPC Silver).

Usually, there's no way of knowing who got upgraded to what via which status they're holding so the results were somewhat interesting, but my suspicion is the difference with the ticket stock was the difference maker here.

Last edited by triplefives; Jan 10, 2019 at 3:24 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Very interesting anecdote @triplefives above
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by HaikalS
When can you apply the instant upgrade?

Tried to do so just now and was asked to come back to the lounge desk at 1.5 hours before the flight

Thanks!
It depends on what the agents are told from the office. I've converted instant upgrade at check-in desk before, but other times have been told its too early and to try in the lounge, once had to wait until 1 hour before departure time. I guess they want to wait for all possible revenue pax before upgrade conversion.
HaikalS likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by triplefives
On a recent longhaul flight, wife and I booked separate tickets (hers on CX, mine on AA). She's MPC Silver, I am OWE. She got upgraded to PE from Y - nothing special for me with an AA ticket on CX metal. I do fly on CX way more than she does so it shouldn't be a "CIV" score thing.

Out of curiosity, we asked nicely if Silver should get preference over OWE and didn't get a straight answer (CX staff out of SFO is pretty clueless - one even said MPC Silver is higher than OWE (no proof one way or another but I remember seeing a chart on FT that surmises OWE should having higher priority over MPC Silver).

Usually, there's no way of knowing who got upgraded to what via which status they're holding so the results were somewhat interesting, but my suspicion is the difference with the ticket stock was the difference maker here.
I also remember that OWE used to be between GO and SL, but I saw another lately that SL was ahead of OWE. You are probably right. Ticket stock may also make the difference. AFAIK, CIV score is only a tie-breaker.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: JetPrivelege, AsiaMiles, British Airways AVOIS
Upgrade Possibility

I'm booked on an economy class Cathay BOM-HKG-BOM flight this month. Booking classes are Q and N. Is there any possibility to get an upgrade to Business class, via either outright purchase or through using miles (which I would have to purchase/obtain)?

I am looking for a dream scenario where I am able to upgrade for a cpl hundred $. Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium, United 1K
Originally Posted by Si99
I'm booked on an economy class Cathay BOM-HKG-BOM flight this month. Booking classes are Q and N. Is there any possibility to get an upgrade to Business class, via either outright purchase or through using miles (which I would have to purchase/obtain)?

I am looking for a dream scenario where I am able to upgrade for a cpl hundred $. Thanks.
The short answer is no. Q and N are discount Econ I believe and you would need a flex ticket or an upgradeable econ ticket (I forgot the minimum booking class, but its definitely not Q and N) to use miles to get an upgrade.
Si99 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Si99

The lowest fare class that is miles upgradeable is M. Cathay Economy fare classes in order are Y B H K M L V S N Q.

Also, you can only use miles to upgrade one class. So from Economy you would only be able to upgrade to Premium Economy. (Unless your destination has no Premium Economy)

In general there is no cheap way to upgrade to business on Cathay. If you want Business you will have to pay the fare difference, or at the minimum buy an (quite a bit more) expensive ticket and then use (quite a number of) miles to upgrade (and hope that CX releases upgrade availabilities).
dddc and Si99 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Could someone please advise the flight loads for CX255 on 20th Jan? Thank you very much
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
What about the upgrade bid process?

I've only just come across this a couple of weeks ago. Is this available to all ticket classes? I have a 2 x 2 sectors Q class flights coming up next month (LGW-HKG-BNE, MEL-HKG-LGW) and currently when I put my reference number in, it says:

Unfortunately your trip is not eligible at this time.
Does this mean it's too early or not eligible at all? Do you bid per sector (eg LGW-HKG, HKG-BNE) or the whole through route? Do you bid for both out and in bound flights?

Looking at the FAQs, if I join Asia Miles or the Marco Polo club, my chance "may" be better for an upgrade, but I want to credit my miles to BA (paltry at 25%, but still better in that scheme than one I'd only realistically use once or twice a year). So, would I be able to switch crediting to BA after the upgrade period closes, ie the day before the flight say?

Also, with the comment about original fare paid, would that mean someone on a Q class ticket would need to bid more than someone on an M or full Y ticket? The difference between what I paid and the current PE price is more than what I would pay but I would consider the price of the exit row seats or around that to be something I would consider. To me, that's the opportunity cost of PE. But the general impression I'm getting is that the upgrades go to those who basically pay the fare difference to the next cabin. Would people concur with that?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by dddc
What about the upgrade bid process?

I've only just come across this a couple of weeks ago. Is this available to all ticket classes? I have a 2 x 2 sectors Q class flights coming up next month (LGW-HKG-BNE, MEL-HKG-LGW) and currently when I put my reference number in, it says:

Does this mean it's too early or not eligible at all?
T and C of Upgrade Bid

B. Eligibility

1. Participation in Upgrade Bid promotion is by invitation only and Cathay has the right to determine eligibility at its sole and absolute discretion. Not all passengers will be extended an invitation.
    Only passengers with confirmed ticket documentation purchased for travel with Cathay under select booking classes may be eligible to make an offer in Upgrade Bid, for the opportunity to upgrade from the cabin class originally purchased to the next higher cabin class (Offer)
AFAIK Q is not included in that "selection"
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by sscywong
T and C of Upgrade Bid

AFAIK Q is not included in that "selection"
I had a feeling that may be the case, I just wish they published it somewhere so that it was black and white. However I wonder if they keep it vague so that they can offer it to Q class if they have exhausted the other classes without any/sufficient offers. It would make sense to maximise revenue by exploiting opportunities where possible and modern technology should be able to make that happen right up to boarding at the gate. However I understand from a logistics point of view that may not always be possible and there are others that think it somehow "cheapens" the cabin to allow discount upgraders. Not sure how they'd know unless the pax made a spectacle of themselves!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
How does my shot at an op-up look on these flights. AA plat (OW sapphire) on an E fare

MAA to HKG
J9 C7 D4 I1 W2 R0 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0

CX 8840HKG
01/26/19 12:45 PMLAX
01/26/19 9:15 AM77W
F4 A4 J9 C7 D4 I1 W2 R0 E0 Y9 B9 H9K9 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.