Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by rays
Not sure if that's only my personal experience, but when I went to the Bridge, I'd say 30% of the time they didn't scan my BP especially when there were many people waiting to be admitted. (Maybe due to status so they don't need to scan the bp to confirm invitation.)

At other lounges they scan my BP every single time.
Yea, but you had a lounge invite right? The person who is being responded to won't have a lounge invite. I can never once recall being admitted just my looking at my BP. Either they take the lounge invite, or scan the BP, or both. Maybe it has happened once in a rare rare time but just visually scanning BP definitely isn't something they normally do if you don't have an invite.

​​​​​​I recommend they go for it regardless, but don't want them to get their hopes up.

​​​​​
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
So… I'm looking at a flight option that has the following fare availability via EF:
  • J9 C9 D9 I9 W6 R6 E6 Y2 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
  • EF seat map shows just a handful of Y seats unoccupied
I go through the motions of dummy booking into Y and am offer the all options for Y fares as well as the option to upgrade to PE. As an OWE, would it be "wise" to book into Y and sorta expect to get a comp upgrade to PE or just book PE and maybe expect op-up into J.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: LH HON
PE to J seems to be the sweet spot. At least for me on more than a handful of flights.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:47 am

Anyone know if/how traveling with a non-status companion on the same PNR effects chances of an op-up? Would they upgrade both of us if op-ups are available?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by windsnob
Anyone know if/how traveling with a non-status companion on the same PNR effects chances of an op-up? Would they upgrade both of us if op-ups are available?
I don't have status but my wife is GR this year
Two weeks ago in FUK the MOD advised at checkin my wife will be upgraded at gate if all passengers presented themselves on the flight. When we boarded both of us were opuped.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
I just requested an upgrade from J to F for JFK-HKG. No availability at time of request so have been waitlisted. Prior to the request, my booking status was showing "Confirmed" for all four J sectors in the booking. Now after the request, everything is showing on hold even though I have paid for the J booking. Is this normal? Or should I call?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by hew204
I just requested an upgrade from J to F for JFK-HKG. No availability at time of request so have been waitlisted. Prior to the request, my booking status was showing "Confirmed" for all four J sectors in the booking. Now after the request, everything is showing on hold even though I have paid for the J booking. Is this normal? Or should I call?
Stuff like this is normal in MMB (which is where I assume you are seeing this). Don’t worry, your booking is all there. CX IT is not the interactive playground the US 3 offer
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Originally Posted by hew204
I had a similar experience when upgrading to F from J back in Jan. I think its just an IT issue. The issue cleared up when my upgrade cleared though
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:20 am

I just tried to book a redemption upgrade, the first time I've done so with the "new" CX webpage.

For one of my flights, I was waitlisted. For the other, it just said "upgrade not available". Not even a waitlist. What? I have always had the ability to waitlist.

Does anyone know why this is?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I just tried to book a redemption upgrade, the first time I've done so with the "new" CX webpage.

For one of my flights, I was waitlisted. For the other, it just said "upgrade not available". Not even a waitlist. What? I have always had the ability to waitlist.

Does anyone know why this is?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...d-flights.html
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Flew 659 yesterday and spoke with checkin staff at HKG and was told the pecking order is

CX DM
CX GO
CX SL

ahead of OWE and OWS
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Flew 659 yesterday and spoke with checkin staff at HKG and was told the pecking order is

CX DM
CX GO
CX SL

ahead of OWE and OWS
Interesting to know SL has higher priority than OWE!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by SLGO

Interesting to know SL has higher priority than OWE!
Had the same thought too and the explanation given was own member ahead of alliance.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Had the same thought too and the explanation given was own member ahead of alliance.
This is understandable, and good news to MPC members who are often not being treated good enough as CX’s own member.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Actually I'm more interested in tiebreaker... Previously is BN, but nowadays SEC should means nothing in op-up... I always wonder if booking class matters or not... Will report later this month after I make another HKG SIN flight

Last edited by sscywong; Oct 4, 2018 at 10:22 am Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.