Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dkc192
I'll chime in with a data point: over the weekend before Christmas, I got a J-F op-up as a OWE on BOS-HKG. This was my first time flying as a partner OW elite on an op-up eligible route (previous routes were either as CX elite or in the top cabin). FWIW, I did not get an op-up on HKG-KIX a few days later and flew in Y--I believe the flight was not oversold.
BOS - HKG (and ORD - HKG) seem to be the easier route to get op-up. I almost always got Y to W upgrade on EWR (7/8) two years ago, but almost never from W to J since last year.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Data Point as a MPC Gold:

March 9, 2018 CX 785 HKG > DPS from Y to J.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:49 am

Looking for some guidance to upgrade my/wife's J tickets (I fares) which are ORD-LAX-HKG-MLE-HKG-ORD to F. A family member has too many Amex points to burn and has graciously offered them for this redemption. The FM is not a AM member at this time. I have an AM account, but a zero mileage balance. It sounds like the way to potentially achieve this is:

1) Call AM and waitlist the upgrades with my account (would this be allowed with a zero balance currently?)
2) FM establishes AM account and adds me/wife to redemption group
3) If upgrade clears, transfer applicable mileage from Amex to FM's AM account
4) I call AM to use apply the sponsor (FM's) mileage to the upgrade award (would FM have to call and apply from his/her end?)

Any guidance is appreciated. Note, FM is not traveling with us.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Congratulations on snagging the deal!

Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Looking for some guidance to upgrade my/wife's J tickets (I fares) which are ORD-LAX-HKG-MLE-HKG-ORD to F. A family member has too many Amex points to burn and has graciously offered them for this redemption. The FM is not a AM member at this time. I have an AM account, but a zero mileage balance. It sounds like the way to potentially achieve this is:

1) Call AM and waitlist the upgrades with my account (would this be allowed with a zero balance currently?)

There is a rule that requires >70% required miles already in your account in order to waitlist for an upgrade. However, you may be lucky and get away with it HUACAing a few times

2) FM establishes AM account and adds me/wife to redemption group

Family member should set up account in the first place and call in to request the waitlist for you and your wife, so before step one

3) If upgrade clears, transfer applicable mileage from Amex to FM's AM account

Yes, but possibly before that if 70% rule is strictly enforced (got no dice around it a few days ago even as an MPO DM, but I didn't HUACA excessively)

4) I call AM to use apply the sponsor (FM's) mileage to the upgrade award (would FM have to call and apply from his/her end?)

Family member would have to do it, not you.

Any guidance is appreciated. Note, FM is not traveling with us.

Bear in mind if that is the case, you will not be able to do instant upgrade at the airport (yes, 2 F awards for ORD may not be that difficult but I highly doubt CX will release two awards in total before very close to departure, unless it's F6A6)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Congratulations on snagging the deal!
Thanks for your guidance, immensely helpful. Looks like we'll be able to work around the sponsor issue and I will join the Amex account as an AU in order to transfer the miles to my AM account.

One final question, since I will likely have to speculatively transfer 70% of the redemption amount to AM in advance, could the same miles serve as the "deposit," if you will, for all four potential awards, or would I need 70% of each award separately.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:31 am
cgo

another data point: Flew CX925 HKG to CEB from KIX. At check in in KIX, i was told my HKG to CEB has been upgraded from economy to premium economy. No complaints, of course! At boarding in HKG, i was upgraded to Business. Too short flight time, but hey, why not! Gratefully received! **And this is the second time this happened. Y to PEY to J.

I just started this month as Silver (from Green the last year). And i have 0 points so far since my silver year just started.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Aside from the bidding system does CX allow upgrading tickets to a higher class for a single segment or a single trip with cash? (e.g. I buy ICN-HKG-DXB-HKG-ICN in Y and only want to upgrade ICN-HKG-DXB to J later)

Also if this is allowed is this possible online or do I have to go through a local CX office?

Last edited by corbomite; Apr 6, 2018 at 5:13 am
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by corbomite
Aside from the bidding system does CX allow upgrading tickets to a higher class for a single segment or a single trip with cash? (e.g. I buy ICN-HKG-DXB-HKG-ICN in Y and only want to upgrade ICN-HKG-DXB to J later)

Also if this is allowed is this possible online or do I have to go through a local CX office?
it really depends on your sub fareclass.

If you bought a full fare Y or B, yes absolutely shouldn't be a problem. If you bought cheaper, the more discounted the more you'll run into problems because they can't refare a sector in many cases.

So I'm pretty sure the answer is "it depends". And no it's not possible online if it's allowed.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: CX
Data point: OWS + 1 (CX Green) both got bumped from W to J on CX846 (HKG-JFK)

Always easier to get opups ex-HKG (even got Y-J once as CXSL) compared to ex-JFK/EWR... not sure if it's about the load / % of elites / ground staff that mattered
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:42 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
So this has never happened to me before.
I purchased a Economy V Fare to go from MNL to HKG and I was already upgraded to Premium Economy at check in. I'm used to that as I usually get an upgrade maybe 3 out of 5 times.

But I just got another upgrade again to Business. I guess a double upgrade does happen! I thought it was just a myth lol.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:44 pm

Looking like my J->F upgrades will come down to the airport. Given that we’re connecting from ORD can we get on the Instant Ugrade list at LAX lounge or do we need to leave airside and go to the check in counter? Our check in will be with AA at ORD so they will not be able to help.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Looking like my J->F upgrades will come down to the airport. Given that we’re connecting from ORD can we get on the Instant Ugrade list at LAX lounge or do we need to leave airside and go to the check in counter? Our check in will be with AA at ORD so they will not be able to help.
​​​​​​It depends if CX staff are in the lounge. For sure you can do it at the gate if the staff arrive early enough. Pretty sure you just need to flag down any CX-uniform wearing staff. If you're on the second nighttime flight (CX881), you could head down to the gate for CX883 and find staff there. CX883 departs first.
ElCaminoReal likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by blum81
I purchased a Economy V Fare to go from MNL to HKG and I was already upgraded to Premium Economy at check in. I'm used to that as I usually get an upgrade maybe 3 out of 5 times.

But I just got another upgrade again to Business. I guess a double upgrade does happen! I thought it was just a myth lol.

it happens. Especially if you are are a status pax
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Gold, DL Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium

When I was SL, I flew from MNL to HKG with a Economy X class ticket (Asia Miles Redemption). The lounge staff called my name with the microphone when I was at the lounge and she printed me a new boarding pass of Premium Economy Class. She then asked me if I were upgraded to Business, would I want to keep my ordered fruit platter meal or have the Business Class meal.

However, it turned out the flight wasn't that terribly overbooked (Many vacant seats in PEY, including my neighbouring seat), therefore I didn't get upgraded
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

As a CX GO, you may even get upgrade as often as 100% on this particular route. As far as the double upgrade, it can happen on a flight with PE as the PE cabin is quite small. All PE passengers might already been upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.