Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBG89
Hi Folks!

Can anyone let me know if the mileage upgrade from Business (I Class) to First is "Worth it" for this itinerary? Is it correct to assume it will be 60k asiamiles for SIN - HKG - NYC?
oneway, yes
Would i also be able to earn F mileage when upgrading with miles?

Thanks!
no
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by JBG89
Hi Folks!

Can anyone let me know if the mileage upgrade from Business (I Class) to First is "Worth it" for this itinerary? Is it correct to assume it will be 60k asiamiles for SIN - HKG - NYC?
Yes, it'll be 60k one way, but make sure you have a flight with F operating (rare) for SIN-HKG to maximize it or else it'll be business in SIN-HKG then first for HKG-NYC.
You know, I was precisely in this 'worth it' dilemma earlier ago when I first switched to MPC/AM. I've since stopped doing these upgrades, so my answer is not quite worth it. To be honest, service in J as a DM on a good day is far better than F (always too nervous, not enough manpower, too many grabbers with their gopros and being noisy.)

Would i also be able to earn F mileage when upgrading with miles?

Thanks!
No, you will earn based on the underlying fare basis (I)
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Yes, it'll be 60k one way, but make sure you have a flight with F operating (rare) for SIN-HKG to maximize it or else it'll be business in SIN-HKG then first for HKG-NYC.
You know, I was precisely in this 'worth it' dilemma earlier ago when I first switched to MPC/AM. I've since stopped doing these upgrades, so my answer is not quite worth it. To be honest, service in J as a DM on a good day is far better than F (always too nervous, not enough manpower, too many grabbers with their gopros and being noisy.)
given that JBG89 isn't a DM, i would say, go for it. HKG JFK is heck of a long flight. there are better ways of getting CX F but if you have 60K miles, and are flying HKGJFK, go for it. As long as your fellow passengers are not noisy, you'll get better rest.
and if they are, complain the he!! out of it to the Manager, and ask for a commendation letter telling her you would give good comments if they fix it for you on the flight.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:59 pm

Flying out on 889 on Monday early am and was checking my opup chances. Interesting that at T-55 they had already opup'd 3 people into J. I saw the loading was J3 and W6 earlier today but now it's J0 and W9 so I think the tributaries have been chosen! Alas I was not one of them next time I guess.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
Flying out on 889 on Monday early am and was checking my opup chances. Interesting that at T-55 they had already opup'd 3 people into J. I saw the loading was J3 and W6 earlier today but now it's J0 and W9 so I think the tributaries have been chosen! Alas I was not one of them next time I guess.
Or 3 upgrade awards were cleared, or 3 passengers decided to pay the fare difference up to J.
Or 3 PEY passengers suddenly cancelled their ticket + 3 new J passengers booking were made.
Who knows.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by nolounge
Or 3 upgrade awards were cleared, or 3 passengers decided to pay the fare difference up to J.
Or 3 PEY passengers suddenly cancelled their ticket + 3 new J passengers booking were made.
Who knows.
It is likely that 3 (or even more) upgrade awards were cleared.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:13 am

Sorry folks, newbie question! How do you check that, where can you see that?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ctarda
Sorry folks, newbie question! How do you check that, where can you see that?
If you are asking about the poster's assertions about op-ups, although well-meaning I would ignore...as the other posters have said, it's impossible to deduce why. And I'd reckon his/her conclusion is, in fact, wrong for the reasons the posters below allude to.

If you are asking what he/she is using to see loadings, I think it is Expert Flyer. https://www.expertflyer.com/
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Mate, I suspect op-up might not be the reason!

Originally Posted by nolounge
Who knows.
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Agree with both of your skepticism about op-ups.

It could also be that CX determined they're not going to sell J, but they have a good market for W last minute. Etc. There are a lot of reasons. Just because CX isn't selling something doesn't mean it's not full. You can get more information if you cross-check against the CX employee log-in for precise loadings (not just sales, which is all EF can see), although you'll need to know staff to review.

In short hard to know exactly. Although you can get a better idea to triangulate if you see the precise loadings.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:16 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Mate, I suspect op-up might not be the reason!

Agree with both of your skepticism about op-ups.

It could also be that CX determined they're not going to sell J, but they have a good market for W last minute. Etc. There are a lot of reasons. Just because CX isn't selling something doesn't mean it's not full. You can get more information if you cross-check against the CX employee log-in for precise loadings (not just sales, which is all EF can see), although you'll need to know staff to review.

In short hard to know exactly. Although you can get a better idea to triangulate if you see the precise loadings.
I have a question about CX not selling a particular cabin. Quite a few times on 889 from JFK to YVR, CX zeroes out the J cabin but it ends up flying half empty. Why do they do that? I've never seen that on 888 on either the HKG to YVR or YVR to JFK leg
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
You're probably right, whatever the reason looks like the front of the plane is full
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
889 is usually empty (from JFK to YVR) in front cabins and W in my experience. Even for EWR I had terrible luck of getting op-ups from W to J.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Slow to report, but another data point: my first time flying CX on 27 Jan, and as a "lowly" OWS (BA EC Silver) received op up from Discounted PE (E) into J. No complaints from the 15 hour flight. And despite achieving OWE/BA EC Gold, never expecting it again (based on what I've read about non-MP members almost never receiving long haul op-ups)!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by sanfran767
And despite achieving OWE/BA EC Gold, never expecting it again (based on what I've read about non-MP members almost never receiving long haul op-ups)!
Non-CX elites do get long-haul op-ups from time to time, mostly from PEY-J and Y-PEY. Not saying you should expect one, but it’s not as rare as you think.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Non-CX elites do get long-haul op-ups from time to time, mostly from PEY-J and Y-PEY. Not saying you should expect one, but it’s not as rare as you think.
I'll chime in with a data point: over the weekend before Christmas, I got a J-F op-up as a OWE on BOS-HKG. This was my first time flying as a partner OW elite on an op-up eligible route (previous routes were either as CX elite or in the top cabin). FWIW, I did not get an op-up on HKG-KIX a few days later and flew in Y--I believe the flight was not oversold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.