Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:27 pm

Not sure how this happened but in chatting with my parents, my brother was once upgraded from Y to F with no status. This was probably 8-10 years ago. Anyone else heard of this happening back then? I'm guessing this never happens these days.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
Not sure how this happened but in chatting with my parents, my brother was once upgraded from Y to F with no status. This was probably 8-10 years ago. Anyone else heard of this happening back then? I'm guessing this never happens these days.
I've had it twice when I used miles to upgrade from Y to J, and then op-upped from J to F, but not a direct op-up from Y to F. Perhaps some details were missing from your brother?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sscywong
CX198 6 Jan AKL - HKG
CX118 7 Jan AKL - HKG
HK POS:

CX () 198 0 AKL
06/01/18 15:00 HKG
06/01/18 21:15 77W
Daily
61% / 20m J0 C0 D0 I0 W1 R1 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0

CX () 118 0 AKL
07/01/18 9:00 HKG
07/01/18 15:10 359
Daily
57% / 18m J0 C0 D0 I0 W1 R1 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Am traveling with my wife from HKG to YVR on March 21 on CX 838 on PEY (Class Ticket E).

We are unable to redeem AsiaMiles to upgrade to a higher class based on our ticket restrictions but was wondering if we still had a chance (however small) for an upgrade once we've checked in. We are MPC Silver if that helps.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Originally Posted by dmatthew
Am traveling with my wife from HKG to YVR on March 21 on CX 838 on PEY (Class Ticket E).

We are unable to redeem AsiaMiles to upgrade to a higher class based on our ticket restrictions but was wondering if we still had a chance (however small) for an upgrade once we've checked in. We are MPC Silver if that helps.

Thanks!
It’s really too soon to tell. An op-up would probably be one of the few ways to get to J and at the moment your flight is wide open, so no need to bump anyone to a higher class of service.
dmatthew likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by dmatthew

Thanks!
As you discovered already, E class cannot use miles to upgrade. W or R only for premium economy sub fareclasses. (E is the cheapest, followed by R, and W is most expensive).

However, premium economy is the best shot of an upgrade by far. I still think it's way too far in advance to take EF seriously, but essentially you're just rooting for a) Open J seats and b) oversold Y or PEY about a week or two before the flight.

Any status, even Silver (or Green!) has a good shot from PEY to Biz, simply because PEY attracts an odd lot of passengers who have no status on CX. The way it is marketed and its target customer seems to be, in many cases, different than the typical frequent flier profile. The more non status people in PEY, the better for you.

I've seen countless posts in here by low and no status folks getting upgraded in PEY. If you're DM or GO, the upgrade rate out of PEY to J on certain routes seems to be north of 40pct. It's high relatively speaking.
dmatthew likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Thank you for the insights @windchaser777 and @QRC3288 !

Guess we'll find out at check-in or at the lounge if we've been upgraded haha - fingers crossed!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: CX Gold
J9 C9 D9 I9 W4 R4 E3 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0
L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

I'm booked in Y with the wife, CX918. Is there a chance of being upgraded to PEY? I would love to try the PE seats of the 359, even if it's just a short flight.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I've seen countless posts in here by low and no status folks getting upgraded in PEY. If you're DM or GO, the upgrade rate out of PEY to J on certain routes seems to be north of 40pct. It's high relatively speaking.
It would be interesting if people started posting their successful uprades in a central thread to see which routes really do have a higher chance of op-ups.
dmatthew likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
Hi there!

I’m a MPC SL and also AA GO (soon to be Platinum-OWS). Switched to AA ever since they revamped MPC and lost my MPC GO. From experience, I got more op ups as MPC SL than MPC GO. It’s a relief to see fellow FTers seem to believe this.

Anywho, is there a way for me to get AA miles but also show off my MPC number so I can score an op up?

Maybe it makes sense if I put my MPC on the ticket first, then last minute before boarding I ask the gate agent to change it. But how long before boarding do they start upgrading ppl? Obviously it’s not a question to ask them to change it after they scan my BP and those red flashes of joy starts beeping on the scanner.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
As a OWE, I'm 0 for 3 on HKG-SFO. No op-ups on Y to PE either - for that it's 0 for 5.

Only of an op-up was on HKG-PEK on KA when we requested an earlier flight due to across the broad delays. But that was probably due to the fact it would be easier to switch us into J seats as Y was probably completely full already.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by BB8Dreamliner
Hi there!

I’m a MPC SL and also AA GO (soon to be Platinum-OWS). Switched to AA ever since they revamped MPC and lost my MPC GO. From experience, I got more op ups as MPC SL than MPC GO. It’s a relief to see fellow FTers seem to believe this.

Anywho, is there a way for me to get AA miles but also show off my MPC number so I can score an op up?

Maybe it makes sense if I put my MPC on the ticket first, then last minute before boarding I ask the gate agent to change it. But how long before boarding do they start upgrading ppl? Obviously it’s not a question to ask them to change it after they scan my BP and those red flashes of joy starts beeping on the scanner.
If anything, ask at the lounge what your op up chances are, and ask them to change if slim.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by triplefives
As a OWE, I'm 0 for 3 on HKG-SFO. No op-ups on Y to PE either - for that it's 0 for 5.

Only of an op-up was on HKG-PEK on KA when we requested an earlier flight due to across the broad delays. But that was probably due to the fact it would be easier to switch us into J seats as Y was probably completely full already.
Well that sucks! Tough going with those travel patterns, economy class longhaul are the real road warriors.

The odds are obviously quite dependent on many factors. But I still think PEY is your best shot for an upgrade. Of course, given the huge number of flights CX has and different situations, you could easily hit a streak as bad as yours.

I will add, one of those variables is aircraft type. 35G and 77G have less shot of an op up to J versus 77H just based on sheer numbers; PEY cabins very close in size, while 77H has 53 J seats, considerably more than both 35G and 77G. Plus 77H has 6 F seats, essentially meaning there are 59 seats in front of PEY for CX to use as excess "inventory" for PEY and Y oversales.
dmatthew likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
I will add, one of those variables is aircraft type. 35G and 77G have less shot of an op up to J versus 77H just based on sheer numbers; PEY cabins very close in size, while 77H has 53 J seats, considerably more than both 35G and 77G. Plus 77H has 6 F seats, essentially meaning there are 59 seats in front of PEY for CX to use as excess "inventory" for PEY and Y oversales.
+1 on this. I think routes and travel times are also important. A lot of my colleagues are GO, like me, flying out of NYC, EWR or JFK. As both an SL and GO, I've received way more opups, PEY->J, than my colleagues. Perhaps because my travel patterns are a little different.

I tend to take EWR CX899 01:00 on a Friday morning to arrive Saturday morning in HKG. Then depart HKG on Sunday evenings. The rest of my colleagues want to minimize weekend time in HKG, arrive HKG Monday morning, depart HKG on Friday evening. I feel that my travel pattern may be luckier to avoid DMs in the race for opups in overbooked situations.

Perhaps also less DMs using EWR vs JFK. I've read on this forum that SFO is probably DM heavy, lots of Silicon Valley executives.

I tend to book my flights within a week or two of departure. I always use EF to check the loading and pick based on that. If I'm booking PEY and the section looks crowded then see if J is lightly loaded. If I don't think theres a good chance, I try to pick a flight were PEY is light, usually an EWR flight. If I'm not going to get an opup, I'd prefer to have an emptier cabin (not surprising)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by triplefives

As OWE, I had about 6/8 op-up from deep discount Y to PEY; but 0/8 for PEY to J. EWR/JFK-HKG for the last ~20 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.