Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by heartface
CX261 for 29th Apr is showing
F1 A1 J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 R0 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Is this typical of an overbooked CX flight?

Reading this guide am wondering if it's worth turning up extra early to the airport (I'm oneworld emerald) in case there's a chance of an opup.
yes it looks decent from EF for sure.

however, unfortunately it also appears there is 1 seat for sale on the plane....meaning your chances are quite slim. Extremely low chance on a CDG flight there are any fewer than 5 DM+GO in J class, and perhaps 10 in EY. (DM is CX's OWE equivalent, GO is the OWS equivalent). I think those are minimum #s but it's likely to be even more. There are particularly large # of GOs out there and CDG is a relatively elite-heavy route. At this stage it's possible the entire plane is oversold.

In CX's op-up priority, both DM and GO are above OWE. Anyway, if you have the time it doesn't hurt, but I would probably keep your expectations in check.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'm a OWE and this is the EF situation four days out on CX729 from HKG-KUL, operated by a two-class 333:

J5 C5 D4 I3 Y4 B3 HL KL ML LL VL SL NL QC OL

EF currently shows eight seats unallocated in J, all reserved for premium passengers (so non-elites may be booked into J and unable to select a seat).

1. I assume that there'll be CX's own cardholders ahead of me, so my op-up chances are still pretty slim; and
2. Is it likely to be the case that CX will sell Y seats in the expectation of op-upping into J, or are the two completely separate and they'll just offload more if they need to?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:15 pm

Hi ALL,
I booked an award J ticket from LAX - HKG - SGN from AA (using AA miles) For CX flight , My brother also have 25K Asia Miles in his account.
1) is 25K enough to ask for upgrade from J to F (if available) during checking?
2) if it is enough, can he use his Miles to upgrade my ticket?
Please advise, thank you!

Last edited by hondaman82; Apr 27, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hondaman82
LAX - HKG - SGN from AA (using AA miles)
Cannot. He has to have AA reissue his ticket (at the new rates...)
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:57 am

Anyone has any idea since MPO is now based on Club Points, does the op-up now uses that as tie-breaker? Or still CIV? and how is this CIV differ from Club Points?
Old May 2, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by soonyeap
Anyone has any idea since MPO is now based on Club Points, does the op-up now uses that as tie-breaker? Or still CIV? and how is this CIV differ from Club Points?
Does CIV take in account the previous year's travel pattern? Hence looking at it may tell how much more potential "contribution" you have to the MPC with your future travels?

Club points accrued to date will only indicate the past few months travels.

Someone who travels plenty of short hops in economy will have accrued points in just a few months, but someone who travels less frequently but in long haul ( and in PE or higher) will take several months/ an entire year to prove that he has more value/ club points.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by soonyeap
CIV is the same as it was before, presumably.

It is not related to your club points.

Club points are just a fancy re-organization for your MPC elite miles. You can basically think of it as elite miles divided by 100. Just all the sectors / classes earn a little differently but same idea. Just like elite miles didn't have any impact on your CIV (and previously BN#), presumably neither do club points.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:09 am

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and planning to book some flights on British Airways and hoping to use my asiamiles to upgrade from premium economy to business class. Have read the front page about upgrade a BA flight, but this open jaw tickets and I'm based in UK.

I have not booked yet, but would like to know if I can upgrade the following and if upgradable can you check that specific dates have space upgraded to business class.

22nd May DUB-LHR-SIN
BA 835 (Economy K)
BA 011 (Premium Economy T) or BA 015 (Premium Economy T)

26th May SIN-HKG
CX690 (Premium Economy E)

30th May HKG-LHR
BA032 (Premium Economy T) or BA028 (Premium Economy T)

Would welcome any comments and advices as this sound complicated and asiamiles are taking time to responding me. Since I got a chunk of my miles expiring soon, if I can't upgrade this flights can I book a pair of premium economy tickets (LHR-HKG) and have both upgraded myself and other?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:44 am

https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts#3

"6 For British Airways, only... fare classes W, T and E are eligible for Premium Economy Class (World Traveller Plus Class) to Business Class Upgrade Awards."

Also has to be a round trip, so it's the LHR-LHR part of your journey only. And you have to clear all upgrade segments on confirmation of upgrade.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:30 am

Thank you Percy Smith for providing the information so quickly.

If upgrade spaces are available then my journey DUB-LHR are economy and LHR-SIN-HKG-LHR will be upgraded?

That’s ok, since the seat are the more or less the same on intra EU flights and I was more keenly looking forward to long haul LHR-SIN + HKG-LHR for sleep and possibly bonus on the SIN-HKG sector.

How do I clear all upgrade segments? Who do I e-mail or call to? BA? Avios? CX? Asiamiles? Or Marco Polo?

Since both LHR-SIN and HKG-LHR are similar timing I don’t really mind which flights, hence I want to book the one that I can upgrade on if spaces are available. Is there anyway I can search for which specific flights that have space available to be upgraded or not? Or are they hidden in a secret airline search system?
Old May 3, 2016, 2:51 am

Is the underlying tix one tix? I just called AM, they said your BA tix must be one tix in order to qualify for AM upgrade (I didn't HUACA).
Old May 3, 2016, 3:15 pm

I'm making my first trip on CX to HKG from SFO and am hoping to upgrade from PEY to Business. I'm MP Green for now and I tentatively booked 21 May CX873 a month ago . I am waitlisted for a AM upgrade but the loading (from ExpertFlyer) isn't looking good (J3) as of today. I'm flexible within a day or two; Would it make sense to shift to CX879 (J9), or to 22 MAY CX873 (J7), CX 879 (J9), CX893 (J9)?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaFFlyer
I'm making my first trip on CX to HKG from SFO and am hoping to upgrade from PEY to Business. I'm MP Green for now and I tentatively booked 21 May CX873 a month ago . I am waitlisted for a AM upgrade but the loading (from ExpertFlyer) isn't looking good (J3) as of today. I'm flexible within a day or two; Would it make sense to shift to CX879 (J9), or to 22 MAY CX873 (J7), CX 879 (J9), CX893 (J9)?
absolutely that would make sense. if you're flexible, call MPC and see if they can confirm any of those right now.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
yes it looks decent from EF for sure.

however, unfortunately it also appears there is 1 seat for sale on the plane....meaning your chances are quite slim. Extremely low chance on a CDG flight there are any fewer than 5 DM+GO in J class, and perhaps 10 in EY. (DM is CX's OWE equivalent, GO is the OWS equivalent). I think those are minimum #s but it's likely to be even more. There are particularly large # of GOs out there and CDG is a relatively elite-heavy route. At this stage it's possible the entire plane is oversold.

In CX's op-up priority, both DM and GO are above OWE. Anyway, if you have the time it doesn't hurt, but I would probably keep your expectations in check.
No op-up. At check in they confirmed the flight was overbooked in EY and J but that they weren't upgrading OWE at the moment. Funnily enough I got the red light upon scanning my boarding pass at the gate, but this turned out to be because I had forgotten my luggage tags at check in.

That said, first time long haul on CX and I have to say they really look after elites.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi ALL,
I booked an award J ticket from LAX - HKG - SGN from AA (using AA miles) For CX flight , My brother also have 25K Asia Miles in his account.
1) is 25K enough to ask for upgrade from J to F (if available) during checking?
2) if it is enough, can he use his Miles to upgrade my ticket?
Please advise, thank you!
1) No, thats not enough. You need 50000 miles if I'm not mistaken.
2) Even if he had enough miles you can't be upgraded on an award ticket. You would have to reissue it yourself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.