Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
XIY is elite light. Last time I flew it I was the sole CX DM, and there were 0 GO (OWS) either. (I didn't ask about partners). It's totally possible you guys were the only OWEs and OWS on board.

I had a similar experience to CKG before.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by QRC3288
XIY is elite light. Last time I flew it I was the sole CX DM, and there were 0 GO (OWS) either. (I didn't ask about partners). It's totally possible you guys were the only OWEs and OWS on board.

I had a similar experience to CKG before.
Am flying that route twice soon. Wondering if elites will get DYKWIA treatment
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Am flying that route twice soon. Wondering if elites will get DYKWIA treatment
Admittedly I've only done 4x KA sectors on each...hardly a very useful sample size. But that was the case for each of my flights at least.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I'm sure that this has been asked before but I can't find it in this thread. My wife has a bunch of miles that will expire at the end of the year and she would like to use them if possible before that time to upgrade from PEY to J. The thing is that the outward is about 10 months away and the return would be at least 15 months away, I assume it is not possible to book this in one go? If not, what's the best way to approach this to ensure that the miles are not lost?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Hi all, looking for some advice. My wife & I are both AA EXP and are flying CX PE on my birthday. I read about birthday upgrades for Asia Miles members, and wanted to know what the upgrade chances are for a newbie Asia Miles member. Is it worth creating a new Asia Miles account? We are flying ORD-HKG.

I need to credit this to AA to requalify, so I'd have to change my FF# back to AA at the gate. Any recommendations? Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Hi all, looking for some advice. My wife & I are both AA EXP and are flying CX PE on my birthday. I read about birthday upgrades for Asia Miles members, and wanted to know what the upgrade chances are for a newbie Asia Miles member. Is it worth creating a new Asia Miles account? We are flying ORD-HKG.

I need to credit this to AA to requalify, so I'd have to change my FF# back to AA at the gate. Any recommendations? Thanks
Birthday upgrade is an unpublished benefit for Marco Polo Club members (SL or above). Marco Polo is not the same as Asia Miles.

In other words, no it's not going to happen. (Unless your flight is oversold!)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave

CX only gives possible birthday upgrade to her own DM, GO and SL.
No birthday offer for GR and AM.
Thus, stick all the way with your AA EXP then. You might get op-up when oversold.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Lussac
I'm sure that this has been asked before but I can't find it in this thread. My wife has a bunch of miles that will expire at the end of the year and she would like to use them if possible before that time to upgrade from PEY to J. The thing is that the outward is about 10 months away and the return would be at least 15 months away, I assume it is not possible to book this in one go? If not, what's the best way to approach this to ensure that the miles are not lost?
Well, I like to arrange my holiday in advice so here is what I usually do:
Call MPC hotline, booking a confirmed outbound seat in 10 months, requesting to hold it for the next 5 months until confirming the inbound flight. Explain the situation to agent and usually they would do me this favor.

However, if your miles expired in less than 15 months, this wouldn't work.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Birthday upgrade is an unpublished benefit for Marco Polo Club members (SL or above). Marco Polo is not the same as Asia Miles.

In other words, no it's not going to happen. (Unless your flight is oversold!)
Originally Posted by wyskevin
CX only gives possible birthday upgrade to her own DM, GO and SL.
No birthday offer for GR and AM.
Thus, stick all the way with your AA EXP then. You might get op-up when oversold.
Thanks, I'll stick with my AA EXP. I'm happy with PE for the fare I paid, so no complaints if I don't get upgraded. I appreciate the advice.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'll be flying alone in PY (E) on CX883 on 31 Aug LAX-HKG. I took a look at EF and the flight appears to be very full in all cabins. Can someone confirm? I'm a bit new to EF.

Anyway, what's typically the recommended strategy for trying to get an op-up? Ask in the OW Biz lounge? Go to the gate? I am OWS and I'll be arriving at LAX 5-6hr prior to departure (long layover from AA). So I won't be using the checkin counters at TBIT.

FWIW, I looked into a miles upgrade, but the buy up to W/R was around $5k one way. And upgrade to J was the same price. No big deal if I don't get upgraded, but the flat seat would be nice for sleeping. I assume this flight is probably elite heavy, so I'm not looking for a miracle.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swingaling
I'll be flying alone in PY (E) on CX883 on 31 Aug LAX-HKG. I took a look at EF and the flight appears to be very full in all cabins. Can someone confirm? I'm a bit new to EF.

Anyway, what's typically the recommended strategy for trying to get an op-up? Ask in the OW Biz lounge? Go to the gate? I am OWS and I'll be arriving at LAX 5-6hr prior to departure (long layover from AA). So I won't be using the checkin counters at TBIT.

FWIW, I looked into a miles upgrade, but the buy up to W/R was around $5k one way. And upgrade to J was the same price. No big deal if I don't get upgraded, but the flat seat would be nice for sleeping. I assume this flight is probably elite heavy, so I'm not looking for a miracle.
CX 883 0 LAX
08/31/17 11:55 PM HKG
09/02/17 5:45 AM 77W
M,W,Th,F,Sa
73% / 20m F1 A1 J9 C9 D9 I8 W1 R1 E1 Y6 B6 H6 K6 M5 L4 V1 S0 N0 Q0
Looks like there may be a few op ups but bear in mind status and ACV (for which all oneworld elites = 0)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Looks like there may be a few op ups but bear in mind status and ACV (for which all oneworld elites = 0)
I have no status with MPO, as you probably surmised. I assume travelling alone in PY without a special meal request works in my favor. Is it a good idea to ask the GA (politely) about upgrade availability or is it best to just shut up and do nothing?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
ACV = Airline Customer Value?
Is ACV related to CIV (ow elites and everyone else has CIVs though)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I have no status with MPO, as you probably surmised. I assume travelling alone in PY without a special meal request works in my favor. Is it a good idea to ask the GA (politely) about upgrade availability or is it best to just shut up and do nothing?
I wonder about having a special meal request, if it can't be accommodated do they silently exclude you from an op-up? I wonder about this because some of my colleagues, who are MPC GO and hindu vegetarian, never seem to get op-ups. I thought one possibility may be special meal request. But I think there's no evidence to support this claim.

I originate outport from EWR. I don't think the agents in EWR are CX staff, just an outsourced crew that change uniforms for the different companies they handle. I don't think they have any discretion other than the system telling them to op-up.

However, I do ask, very politely, at each stage, check-in agent agent, lounge agent and sometimes at the gate before boarding. I am a firm believer in asking and that there is little to no harm if done politely and respectfully.

I've never scored an op-up in EWR this way, always I am paged and see the nearest agent to receive my new boarding pass. So I don't believe it's an effective strategy.

You are OWS, high availability in J and low availability in PE and Y, so it looks possible unless you get outranked by DMs and GOs.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:05 am

I assume travelling alone in PY without a special meal request works in my favor. Is it a good idea to ask the GA (politely) about upgrade availability or is it best to just shut up and do nothing?
Your odds are low. I wouldn't spend any more time thinking about it than you already have if you're the type who gets disappointed.

Asking isn't a problem - no harm - but it will 0pct have any impact on your odds. There is an American idea that politely asking agents helps gets upgrades. At least on CX, that's not how it works. Ever. They've got a system that sorts it out by CX and OW status, and customer value apparently. And in the times they have discretion, asking won't help you. It's just not the same culture where you can kinda sweet-talk your way to things. Believe me, everyone in the back would rather have a flat bed...not just you!

It's also mindful knowing an op-up on CX only happens due to oversold cabins. Whereas in the US flyers fully expect F class to go out full house every single time, it's not the same here. CX will very, very frequently leave empty seats in J or F class. It's not "upgrade until full" mentality. So that reduces odds too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.