Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by porsche534
I'm waitlisted as a Silver for PEY to J upgrade on 883 1/6. Not looking great at the moment. Should I give it a few days, or start looking for better availability / routing?
Usually that means the flights overbooked, so you may have a shot at an op-up!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:21 am

Could someone kindly help checking the loads please?

syd-hkg cx162 22-dec

Much appreciated, thank you.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by froggyoga
could someone kindly help checking the loads please?

Syd-hkg cx162 22-dec

much appreciated, thank you.
cx 162 0 syd
12/22/15 11:25 am hkg
12/22/15 5:50 pm 333
j7 c7 d7 i6 w2 r2 e1 y9 b9 h0 k8 m0 l0 v0 s0 n0 q0 o0
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; UA 1K
In the event that one intends to upgrade with AM, but credit flight miles to another OW program: if already waitlisted is there any danger in changing the FF # in your record via the website before clearing the upgrade.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Sorry, newbie question here. How does one exactly check flight loads and how do you determine if you have a good change of an upgrade?

I'm a MP Gold and I'm looking to book a EWR/JFK-HKG flight in November.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:33 pm

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could help educate me on how to interpret the inventory tables on EF. I'm a Diamond member with an upcoming flight booked in D inventory and I'm trying to maximize my chances of an upgrade to F.

I fully understand what all the various buckets (letters) represent, so no help needed there. But I'm less clear on what kind of inventory configuration is most likely to result in an oversold situation. My flight is coming up in about seven days and there's no cost to switch to a different aircraft.

Here's what it's looking like at the moment on the two days I'm able to depart:

1.) F4 A4 J9 C9 D8 I6 W2 R0 E0 Y6 B4 H2 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
2.) F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 I9 W3 R1 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
3.) F3 A3 J9 C9 D9 I9 W4 R2 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M7 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
4.) F2 A2 J7 C7 D6 I4 W9 R5 E2 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L7 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

I'm assuming flight #1 is the best option given Y and PE inventories, but then again the business cabin of flight #4 is the only one that's starting to look tight.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by AADFW
Here's what it's looking like at the moment on the two days I'm able to depart:

1.) F4 A4 J9 C9 D8 I6 W2 R0 E0 Y6 B4 H2 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
2.) F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 I9 W3 R1 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
3.) F3 A3 J9 C9 D9 I9 W4 R2 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M7 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
4.) F2 A2 J7 C7 D6 I4 W9 R5 E2 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L7 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

I'm assuming flight #1 is the best option given Y and PE inventories, but then again the business cabin of flight #4 is the only one that's starting to look tight.

Any suggestions?
My view: Zero op-up chance from J to F

1, 2, 3 has J wide open... Even W may seems tight J must be able to absorb the oversold W (if any at all) so no way J will get full

4 actually also unlike to get full... J7 may means a tighter J, but I4 I would say there should still be seats available in J... And F2 A2 also... so there's even less chance for one in J to use miles to upgrade to F
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
My view: Zero op-up chance from J to F

1, 2, 3 has J wide open... Even W may seems tight J must be able to absorb the oversold W (if any at all) so no way J will get full

4 actually also unlike to get full... J7 may means a tighter J, but I4 I would say there should still be seats available in J... And F2 A2 also... so there's even less chance for one in J to use miles to upgrade to F
Thanks very much for your perspective on this. I suppose with seven (now six) days to go, I figured that Y6 on flight #1 probably represents an oversold or about to be oversold situation as Y0 does not just mean full but indeed oversold to the point that the airline won't oversell more. With only 2 left in W (I understand CX also oversells PE), I'm also assuming that there is very likely going to be a wave of PE to J opt-ups. Whether or not that will ultimately push a DM into the front is another question entirely.

I'd really love to hear from someone else on this who (a.) works for CX; (b.) has in the past; or (c.) has had experience analyzing these inventory figures with a reasonable track record of success.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:03 pm

Hi anyone please kindly help to check the following loads? Many thanks.

HKG-SYD 19 JAN CX101
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by froggyoga
Hi anyone please kindly help to check the following loads? Many thanks.

HKG-SYD 19 JAN CX101
CX 101 0 HKG
01/19/16 11:55 PM SYD
01/20/16 12:15 PM 77W
Daily
94% / 39m J4 C4 D4 I3 W0 R0 E0 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Originally Posted by AADFW
Thanks very much for your perspective on this. I suppose with seven (now six) days to go, I figured that Y6 on flight #1 probably represents an oversold or about to be oversold situation as Y0 does not just mean full but indeed oversold to the point that the airline won't oversell more. With only 2 left in W (I understand CX also oversells PE), I'm also assuming that there is very likely going to be a wave of PE to J opt-ups. Whether or not that will ultimately push a DM into the front is another question entirely.

I'd really love to hear from someone else on this who (a.) works for CX; (b.) has in the past; or (c.) has had experience analyzing these inventory figures with a reasonable track record of success.
The #1 question that needs to be answered is whether your flight is departing from HKG or whether you're departing from an outstation. If departing from HKG, then I wouldn't expect to get an op-up unless there's absolutely no seats left and you are top of the list.

Unfortunately, while EF does give a decent overview of loadings it is not infallible. I have had flights where 3 days out EF has said that W is still 4, Y9 and looking at the seat map (again, not an entirely accurate source) there was still 24 seats available yet I had an op-up from Y to J and bypassed PE. I've also been on a flight where everything was zero on my flight out of HKG, yet there ended up being a few seats left in PE and no one was upgraded.

The other thing to keep in mind is that last minute rush for award seats that could be released in the last 48-24 hours before the flight. If all but 1 are released, then if an op-up is needed you would also have to be at the very top of the status list on the flight.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Can someone check the loads on the following flights?

SIN-HKG 22 JAN CX714
HKG-KIX 22 JAN CX596

I wonder if my friend and I have a chance for an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy. We're both on the same ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
CX714
J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 G9 S9 N9 Q9 O9

CX596

Doesn't look likely.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by alphaod
CX714

CX596

Doesn't look likely.
Okay thanks, at least we got bulkhead seats aisle and window, hope we don't get moved to a middle seat.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:29 pm

Can you use your AM to upgrade someone else without travelling with them?

Hello, I have read through 25 pages of thread and not too sure if I can use my miles to upgrade someone else without travelling with them? I want to buy my father PE and get him upgraded to Business.

Or do I have to spend the money to transfer miles to his account, etc.?
He is on my redemption group, so I can redeem an award ticket for him, but the website would not allow me to redeem the upgrade for him because it would say they cannot find a reservation under my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.