Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by uni818
I have wait listed for the return flight home HKG-YYZ on July 18th, but I imagine it will likely have to wait for instant upgrade at Checkin.

I am wondering how long it takes for miles to post to my account from the inbound YYZ-HKG. The second leg HKG-SGN did post already (from the same date).

Perhaps this has to do with the the fact that the ticket was upgraded from PE to J (HKG-SGN was not upgraded). Does anybody know how long this delay will take since it will affect the calculation of how many Asiamiles I need to transfer over if it doesn't post in time.
It should take two days, but sometimes the CX's terrible system does not pick it up and think it was a full redemption. It happens to my wife as recent as last year. I had to call to get that fixed. You should contact them. It should be posted already.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:46 am

I have a 1-way CX award ticket (JFK to HKG in Feb 2016) in Biz Class, obtained via AA miles. Is it possible to upgrade via Asia Miles to a first class seat (once space opens up)? Trying to cover myself in case of CX <=> AA shenanigans in the way of F award space not being released to partners.

From the Wiki, I wasn't sure if it had to be a round trip ticket.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KHTravelBitten
I have a 1-way CX award ticket (JFK to HKG in Feb 2016) in Biz Class, obtained via AA miles. Is it possible to upgrade via Asia Miles to a first class seat (once space opens up)? Trying to cover myself in case of CX <=> AA shenanigans in the way of F award space not being released to partners.

From the Wiki, I wasn't sure if it had to be a round trip ticket.
Not possible, but you'd be insane not to convert the award to f class (for an extra 12.5k aa miles).
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Not possible, but you'd be insane not to convert the award to f class (for an extra 12.5k aa miles).
Indeed that is my plan first and foremost (convert using AA miles), but I'm working on backup options in case availability via AA doesn't materialize.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KHTravelBitten
Indeed that is my plan first and foremost (convert using AA miles), but I'm working on backup options in case availability via AA doesn't materialize.
Maybe tack on a regional flight with f availability so the entire ticket books into f?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:19 am

Maybe tack on a regional flight with f availability so the entire ticket books into f?
AA redemption strategy should be discussed in the AA forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Jul 11, 2015, 5:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
AA redemption strategy should be discussed in the AA forum.
Interesting option but only one we in HK can dream about cos there's no easy ways to manufacture or even earn AAdvantage miles.

Perhaps continue AAdvantage on CX discussion here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-new-post.html ?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It should take two days, but sometimes the CX's terrible system does not pick it up and think it was a full redemption. It happens to my wife as recent as last year. I had to call to get that fixed. You should contact them. It should be posted already.
My return leg is coming up and since I have a connection, my understanding is I won't be able to Instant Upgrade HKG-YYZ leg until I transfer through HKG. I will be starting my journey DAD-HKG. Can anyone tell me where the CX service desk is located once I arrive at HKG to request the instant upgrade?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, UA GOLD
Questions on upgrading BA WT+ (Premium Economy) > CW (Business) with Asia Miles:

1. Do Asia Miles upgrades (the fare class) for BA come from award flights, the same as BA? So if I see a flight with award availability in CW on AA/BA.com, I should be able to upgrade with Asia miles?

2. Please confirm this example: DFW-LHR (4761 miles, award zone C), a round trip upgrade from WT+ to CW (Premium Economy to Business) would only cost me 22.5k Asia Miles plus applicable fees? I understand the fees would be in the $600-800 range.

3. Let's say I have LAX-DFW-LON as a round trip, with LAX-DFW being a codeshare with AA. Am i able to only upgrade the DFW-LON-DFW segments with 22.5k Asia miles plus fees, or would I be forced to book a ticket in economy the whole way and upgrade the whole journey? I'm inclined to say no, but one can hope .

4. If I'm gathering this information correctly, since I'm only able to upgrade a round trip ticket, I pretty much have to find availability on both to/fro before actually booking my upgrade?

Thanks!

Last edited by ahiromu; Jul 15, 2015 at 9:54 pm Reason: Corrected an error, originally said 25k miles instead of 22.5k.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uni818
My return leg is coming up and since I have a connection, my understanding is I won't be able to Instant Upgrade HKG-YYZ leg until I transfer through HKG. I will be starting my journey DAD-HKG. Can anyone tell me where the CX service desk is located once I arrive at HKG to request the instant upgrade?
You can request it at the transfer counters before going through transfer security, at the lounge service desk (if you have lounge access as a Y/PEY traveler), or at the gate agent desk at your departure gate.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:56 pm

Can someone assess the following plan I've cooked up? I'm about to book a ticket for HKG -> NYC - I have both Cathay Gold and AA Plat, but I'm aiming for Exec Plat so I'd rather credit my miles to AA.

1. Request an upgrade from Y to PEY for the flight using Asia Miles while on Cathay Gold
2. Assuming once upgraded, wait for as *long* as possible and hope for a free op-up to J while the flight is boarding. Since I'm Gold I have higher priority than OWEs
3. Either way if I do or do not get it, request to change my FF number from Marco Polo to AAdvantage.

Any problems with this plan?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by nappington
Can someone assess the following plan I've cooked up? I'm about to book a ticket for HKG -> NYC - I have both Cathay Gold and AA Plat, but I'm aiming for Exec Plat so I'd rather credit my miles to AA.

1. Request an upgrade from Y to PEY for the flight using Asia Miles while on Cathay Gold
2. Assuming once upgraded, wait for as *long* as possible and hope for a free op-up to J while the flight is boarding. Since I'm Gold I have higher priority than OWEs
3. Either way if I do or do not get it, request to change my FF number from Marco Polo to AAdvantage.

Any problems with this plan?
Once beeped for boarding, that is when you have the final chance of op-up, it is too late to change your programme.

It is also a courtesy not to make request to change FF programme once people are queued up for boarding. The gate agents are busy at that time.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:06 am

Thanks for the info - In that case, I should be able to change my FF program before boarding starts, correct?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:55 pm

Hi, I have Prem Econ tkts SFO-HKG-BLR and MAA-HKG-SFO. Out Sep 5 Returning Oct 3. Have bought R fare class hoping will get upgrade to J using Asia Miles. Still on upgrade waitlist though despite numerous calls to Asia Miles (terrible wait time every call). There are 3 flights SFO-HKG every day and am betting chances of upgrade are high considering the low travel season. Should I hang on or buy a lower fare class Prem Econ which will save me a few hundred $$?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:57 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Hang on if CX879 but you will be made to sweat:

Flight Availability
SFO to HKG on 03/10/15 12:00 AM
Flying CX
Direct/Non-Stop Only
Expanded
CX 873 SFO 1:00 → HKG 6:10
F3 A3 J9 C9 D9 I2 W9 R7 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
Expanded
CX 879 SFO 13:35 → HKG 18:55
J9 C9 D9 I5 W9 R6 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.