Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka what are my choices)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka what are my choices)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Make that two of us. Someone should try.

I've actually never tried once they tightened the rules down a few years ago (same time when they cut off Diamond access to J lounges when flying other carriers ).

And I fly F pretty often ex-HKG, as it sounds like many others do here too. Literally just haven't tried lately, and now my curiosity is peaked. I still would assume "no", right??
I've tried, albeit not for the purpose of testing it, but just didn't bother reading the policy. I was departing F and asked if I could guest my friend who was flying UA. We were told the policy is CX or OW.
QRC3288 and clubeurope like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Visconti

I've tried, albeit not for the purpose of testing it, but just didn't bother reading the policy. I was departing F and asked if I could guest my friend who was flying UA. We were told the policy is CX or OW.
Yea that's what I assumed, and I think the rest of the regulars too. But thanks for confirming.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:04 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Not possible. You're not allowed in the departures area until Saturday around 6am.
Putting aside lounge access, is this true? HK is a 24 hour airport and places like aerotel and plaza premium are open 24 hours. If you are transiting I thought you can enter departures the night before especially if you have a passport that needs a visa to enter HK and you dont have that b
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
@QRC3288

Yes, are you sure about that? It seems many people transit overnight in the departures area of the airport, and some of the transfer points are open 24*7 - what would be the point of that if no-one can transfer from departures to arrivals between the time of the the last flight of the day and some arbitrary time in the mroning?

And the "closed period" doesn't really exist any more. For example, tonight there will be flights leaving at 02:50, 04:40 and 07:00. Where's the closed period?

Access to the lounge, by the rules, yes, not until it opens on the Saturday.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:57 am

I'm not 100pct sure what the rules are then! I'd be interested in more clarification myself

It was at least 24 months ago, but I've traveled with someone who had a CX onward ticket the next day and wasn't permitted in. I think we arrived mid-afternoon and his next flight was morning. But I'm not sure what is the basis for denying or allowing someone in.
​​​​​
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:39 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lovefly88

im assuming this is the correct answer in my case but just wanted to check. If land in HKG from long haul flight on Friday afternoon and my short haul isnt into 8:30 Saturday morning, could I access the J lounge Friday? Ideally we would hang out there until closing time. Then enter again when they open and save paying for a hotel. What do you all think?
Not possible. You're not allowed in the departures area until Saturday around 6am.
Originally Posted by christep
@QRC3288

Yes, are you sure about that? It seems many people transit overnight in the departures area of the airport, and some of the transfer points are open 24*7 - what would be the point of that if no-one can transfer from departures to arrivals between the time of the the last flight of the day and some arbitrary time in the mroning?

And the "closed period" doesn't really exist any more. For example, tonight there will be flights leaving at 02:50, 04:40 and 07:00. Where's the closed period?

Access to the lounge, by the rules, yes, not until it opens on the Saturday.
I'm not 100pct sure what the rules are then! I'd be interested in more clarification myself

It was at least 24 months ago, but I've traveled with someone who had a CX onward ticket the next day and wasn't permitted in. I think we arrived mid-afternoon and his next flight was morning. But I'm not sure what is the basis for denying or allowing someone in.
​​​​​
I've done this before, twice in 2017, and once in the last two months. In January, I was admitted into Wing F holding a F boarding pass for the next day, after coming in on the last flight from Taipei. Security practically didn't care and allowed me into the departures level, so long that I was carrying an onward boarding pass.

At The Wing, I was just told that my boarding pass is for the next day, and the lounge isn't 24 hours, implying I will have to leave at around 23:30 pm after the last CX departure. Nevertheless, it was interesting to see The Wing emptying out, especially after a handful of glasses of Louis Roederer Vintage 2012 (wasn't shabby at all if I may add!) which definitely helped out the wait
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I've done this before, twice in 2017, and once in the last two months. In January, I was admitted into Wing F holding a F boarding pass for the next day, after coming in on the last flight from Taipei. Security practically didn't care and allowed me into the departures level, so long that I was carrying an onward boarding pass.

At The Wing, I was just told that my boarding pass is for the next day, and the lounge isn't 24 hours, implying I will have to leave at around 23:30 pm after the last CX departure. Nevertheless, it was interesting to see The Wing emptying out, especially after a handful of glasses of Louis Roederer Vintage 2012 (wasn't shabby at all if I may add!) which definitely helped out the wait
Consider me thoroughly disproved!!! Thanks for this update.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:40 pm

this is great news. We thoroughly enjoyed the SkyCity Marriott last month but if can get into the lounge would rather save our points.

Any data points from others?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I'm not entirely sure the two scenarios are the same? The 'last flight from Taipei' arrives something like 2330. I wonder if that is considered differently to an arrival in the afternoon?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:20 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm not entirely sure the two scenarios are the same? The 'last flight from Taipei' arrives something like 2330. I wonder if that is considered differently to an arrival in the afternoon?
FWIW, Ive arrived on CX776 from CGK which arrives around 8 pm, and was admitted by virtue of a departing boarding pass on CX257 the next day. Dont ask me why I had that itinerary but I did. Spent around 5 hours on the steel benches near the ichiban shop.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

I did a similar thing in 2015. Fortunately, a flight was delayed and The Wing's downstair section was opened the entire night.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Will I get any lounge access for CX codeshare flights actually operated by Bangkok Airways? One ticket issued and purchased thru CX directly, DM in Economy. Thanks
Ausriver, there aren't a whole lot of CX codeshares on non OW metal and yours appears to be the latest post with regards to codeshare as CX DM in Eco on non OW metal.

Do you recall if they actually let you in at HKG? If so, was it based on your incoming flight on CX?

[Thinking about CX6204, which is operated by MIAT as OM2972. Booked through MIAT, the r/t flight costs ~3.800 HKD and if booked through CX it costs ~4.000 HKD. So 200 HKD for potential lounge access as CX DM in Economy, which I would certainly be willing to pay.]
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by gpia
Ausriver, there aren't a whole lot of CX codeshares on non OW metal and yours appears to be the latest post with regards to codeshare as CX DM in Eco on non OW metal.

Do you recall if they actually let you in at HKG? If so, was it based on your incoming flight on CX?

[Thinking about CX6204, which is operated by MIAT as OM2972. Booked through MIAT, the r/t flight costs ~3.800 HKD and if booked through CX it costs ~4.000 HKD. So 200 HKD for potential lounge access as CX DM in Economy, which I would certainly be willing to pay.]
CX already clarified this. Any MPO lite member departing on a CX- or KA-coded flight can access CX-operated lounges, so you will be allowed access. See https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html, under "Diamond" --> "Lounge Access" --> "Cathay Pacific First Class Lounges," it says, "Available only to members and their guests departing on ... flights marketed, but not necessarily operated, by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon."
gpia likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
CX already clarified this. Any MPO lite member departing on a CX- or KA-coded flight can access CX-operated lounges, so you will be allowed access. See https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html, under "Diamond" --> "Lounge Access" --> "Cathay Pacific First Class Lounges," it says, "Available only to members and their guests departing on ... flights marketed, but not necessarily operated, by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon."
Wow, completely missed that. Thank you!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
CX already clarified this. Any MPO lite member departing on a CX- or KA-coded flight can access CX-operated lounges, so you will be allowed access.
For that part, does the ticket need to include the code share flight number when I book, or will it be the same if I just book directly with the operating carrier's flight number? And the same question with the boarding pass, will they print out the boarding pass with the original operating flight number, or with the codeshare number? Does the boarding pass need to show CXxxxx in order to access the lounges?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.