Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific – Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The bit that isn't trivial (in fact can be a real faff bordering on impossible) is getting back landside once you have entered the departures area. I wouldn't recommend trying this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sriirvine
Hello,
We are arriving at 6am in HKG and our connecting flight is at 8pm on the same day; both in J. We'd like to take a shower before heading into the city using the airport express, but the Arrivals lounge is now closed. It looks like we either take the shower at the free airport showers, or head to the one of the departure J lounges. Is leaving the arrivals area, going through immigration and heading back into departures trivial? Thanks.
There's a link in the last line of the wiki on this subject - basically it's possible, but difficult.

To access the departures hall you disembark, clear transit security and then come out in the departures hall (no need to go through immigration and then come back in).

But once you're in the departures hall you are considered a departing passenger.
sriirvine likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sxc

The expansion was a few years ago? I think reports of people being turned away was even after the expansion.
I see. It was expanded to accommodate two night flights about 2-3 years ago. It is a little strange that they at at capacity for a mid-afternoon flight as there is only one noon flight (CX879). Perhaps they are limiting capacity with smaller lounge staff???
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I see. It was expanded to accommodate two night flights about 2-3 years ago. It is a little strange that they at at capacity for a mid-afternoon flight as there is only one noon flight (CX879). Perhaps they are limiting capacity with smaller lounge staff???
but as you'll remember, it was always too small. When there was just 1x night flight (CX873), the original lounge which opened in 2011 I think was too small and an obvious design problem. Then, they expanded it and that only temporarily solved things...because SFO soon expanded to 2x night flights.

I flew ex-SFO in August and then again in October midnight flights in F. Not even so much as a heads-up, or apology, or anything really despite the laughable state of the lounge. Maybe I got really unlucky, but on both occasions people were once again camped out on the floor in the lounge, it was totally packed and an absolute madhouse. Drinks gone on one of the occasions, no water bottles in the fridge, plates of food mostly dusted, it looked like the place had been ransacked on both occasions. A bad visual. First time a few months back me the missus turned around and went to sit at the gate, which isn't a great experience at SFO either. Second time, alone I wandered around the terminal doing a business call. I'm mostly based in Hong Kong and fly CX a lot, so this was not too weird to me (although what does that say!!). But I'm "used" to it and just think I'll be on the plane soon enough, the CX bed is very comfortable, and I can sleep a long long time on those CX longhaul night flights so water off my back that the pre-flight experience sucks. Just reaffirms I should try to arrive at SFO 60-75 minutes prior to departure. But I think, if I'm an infrequent CX F (or even J!) traveler and looking for something special, SFO has been a crappy situation ever since they ditched the BA lounge and the lounge boarding. Like, I'm talking about a cash passenger flying maybe once or twice per year. Something like that. This can't be a good look for CX!

Not to mention the SFO gate scene is a bad design. Lo and behold, on the flight with the missus (we were at the front of the line, because we had decamped to the gate because the lounge was such a madhouse), one of our fellow F pax came up to the front desk after the line had already formed, expecting to be shuttled to the front of the F/J line. Nope, he was shown the back of the J/F combined, maybe 30 people deep. He didn't say anything and was a good sport about it but you could tell he wasn't pleased. I can't blame him for being miffed. For all I knew he probably saw the hordes in the lounge too.

So, with the long whinge above, I do see and frankly encourage the CX lounge dragons to be more tough denying people access. Other OW carriers blatantly do it so why can't CX? The 77W servicing SFO midday is now almost exclusively 77K, which means inevitably you're going to have more CX and OW elites on that plane, with nearly 370 pax total. Anyway my point is the SFO lounge is still too small for two flights, and maybe even at peak with a very full 77W with a lot of elites.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Where I agree, that lounges can be packed, seriously packed, at one or two short period of the day, I do not think, it is fair to blame CX for that.

Many, many airlines have that problem and it does originate simply from "lack of space" at the airport. Many airlines would very well like to expand their lounges, though simply the lack of (proper) space is a major item at nearly every major (and even minor) airports. And when an airline could get a lot of space, that space is located far from the central area's, implying a long and timely walk for the visitors.

I don't know the SFO gate layout, though BKK also does get a lot of blames. Being there myself regularly, I don't think, the BKK gate layout is that bad at all. There are clearly designated areas for status and J/F pax. From what I do see, it works out fine, the gate layout more or less reflects the plane layout.

The gate layout at HKG far is less "efficient", so to say, one big area, without a natural separation between regular and status pax, the whole plane load of passengers waves in big chunks around the boarding entrance. Chaos, the gate layout does not resemble the plane layout.

Oh, and even F and DM's do have to line-up in order of arrival, when being a large bunch of equal status

Lounge boarding would be nice, though not every airport does have lounges the size that Emirates does have at DBX .....
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
Thought I should ask this question again just to clarify:

I recently obtained a membership with a higher tier than my Marco Polo membership (Sapphire vs. Ruby). If I wish to bring a guest into the lounge with my oneworld status, do I need to change my mileage accumulation (boarding pass) or I just need to present my membership card with a higher tier and show that to the CX lounge personnel for access?
Maybe I should rephrase it since there wasn't a response before.

I am Silver Member of MP and while I can get lounge access with a CX ticket, can I accumulate the miles and points to another oneworld carrier?

Basically it is whether access and accumulation are attached together or are they considered separately?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:42 am

Thought I should ask this question again just to clarify:

I recently obtained a membership with a higher tier than my Marco Polo membership (Sapphire vs. Ruby). If I wish to bring a guest into the lounge with my oneworld status, do I need to change my mileage accumulation (boarding pass) or I just need to present my membership card with a higher tier and show that to the CX lounge personnel for access?

----------

Maybe I should rephrase it since there wasn't a response before.

I am Silver Member of MP and while I can get lounge access with a CX ticket, can I accumulate the miles and points to another oneworld carrier?

Basically it is whether access and accumulation are attached together or are they considered separately?
AFAIK, the guesting is related to the Sapphire status and can be used, when both you AND your guest do fly OneWorld metal (the ticket issuer is not relevant).
How deep the staff does bow to you is based on the FF number on the BP. The guesting is not related to the FF number on the BP, but simply "rules".

In case you run into troubles, you can always ask the lounge guardians to replace the FF number on the BP to the one giving you guesting privileges and at the gate return to the FF for claiming points/miles. Be aware, to get a new BP with the correct FF number, as a proof for you, in case something goes wrong in the points/miles registration. Then you have a BP showing the real life. CX seems to be pretty good at this. MH has been reported that the change of FF on the BP does not trickle through to the correct systems and the points/miles go to the wrong savings' location. Take care to have a BP showing the factual situation (If they reissue the BP, they keep the old one).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by Cambo
AFAIK, the guesting is related to the Sapphire status and can be used, when both you AND your guest do fly OneWorld metal (the ticket issuer is not relevant).
How deep the staff does bow to you is based on the FF number on the BP. The guesting is not related to the FF number on the BP, but simply "rules".

In case you run into troubles, you can always ask the lounge guardians to replace the FF number on the BP to the one giving you guesting privileges and at the gate return to the FF for claiming points/miles. Be aware, to get a new BP with the correct FF number, as a proof for you, in case something goes wrong in the points/miles registration. Then you have a BP showing the real life. CX seems to be pretty good at this. MH has been reported that the change of FF on the BP does not trickle through to the correct systems and the points/miles go to the wrong savings' location. Take care to have a BP showing the factual situation (If they reissue the BP, they keep the old one).
Thank you so much for that detailed reply. I think to be on the safe side, I should do the Check-in with the Sapphire status and gained lounge access. Then I change it to another FFP at the gate prior to take off right?

I wonder whether I can just use my preferred FFP upon check-in and show the sapphire status card to gain access? Do the lounge guardians require that BP be changed so that it is on the record?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:02 am

Thank you so much for that detailed reply. I think to be on the safe side, I should do the Check-in with the Sapphire status and gained lounge access. Then I change it to another FFP at the gate prior to take off right?

I wonder whether I can just use my preferred FFP upon check-in and show the sapphire status card to gain access? Do the lounge guardians require that BP be changed so that it is on the record?
I would go the route to have the wanted FF number used with check-in, show the Sapphire card at the lounge and if the refuse to comply, let them change the FF number. And then when you leave the lounge, revert to the FF number you want, maybe at the gate.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:32 am

As a Qantas platinum FF (oneworld Emerald) flying on CX Premium economy HKG to LHR I was surprised to be turned away from the Cathay Pacific First lounge last week at HKG - is this correct?
I received a very firm “You have a Qantas lounge you can use, we suggest you try there”.
I’ve previously accessed the CX F lounge many times without any problems.
To be fair it was insanely busy with a queue behind me - but should I have pushed further?
The Qantas HKG lounge by contrast was wonderfully welcoming, and accepted me, with 2 guests on the same Cathay flight (1 adult, 1 child of 4, plus one infant).
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:31 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lorkers
As a Qantas platinum FF (oneworld Emerald) flying on CX Premium economy HKG to LHR I was surprised to be turned away from the Cathay Pacific First lounge last week at HKG - is this correct?
I received a very firm “You have a Qantas lounge you can use, we suggest you try there”.
To be fair it was insanely busy with a queue behind me - but should I have pushed further?
The Qantas HKG lounge by contrast was wonderfully welcoming, and accepted me, with 2 guests on the same Cathay flight (1 adult, 1 child of 4, plus one infant).
You can tell them you do mind being turned away from something you're entitled to enter, and show them this https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/HKG/-1. You don't have to draw their attention to the second bullet point, let them invoke it if they know about it and wish to.

I had similar problem with YVR BA Galleries (entering as CX J, probably they don't get a lot of people like me who don't want to use their own lounge instead). The gate dragon even opened a binder of training materials, I pointed to the oneworld international Business entry.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
You can tell them you do mind being turned away from something you're entitled to enter, and show them this https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/HKG/-1. You don't have to draw their attention to the second bullet point, let them invoke it if they know about it and wish to.

I had similar problem with YVR BA Galleries (entering as CX J, probably they don't get a lot of people like me who don't want to use their own lounge instead). The gate dragon even opened a binder of training materials, I pointed to the oneworld international Business entry.
I am very surprised that CX turned lorkers away when the departing flight is on CX! In any case, I would cite https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_....html?switch=Y as this one is more direct for CX lounge staff and doesn't even mention capacity restriction.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I am very surprised that CX turned lorkers away when the departing flight is on CX! .
Yes, I was really surprised too; it's odd CX want to embarrass a top status Frequent Flyer like this.

Maybe, and being willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on a day the lounge was packed to the rafters, the CX staff don't understand the guess access rules?

As I understand I can guest in my wife, my 4 year old child (two guests in total), and infants (seated on lap) don't count as an adult guest (so in theory, I could bring in an infinite number) - is that correct?

I'm back at HKG next week, same guests, same lounge, so I'll get ready for more fun and games in the opposite direction. Printout at the ready.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Yes, I was really surprised too; it's odd CX want to embarrass a top status Frequent Flyer like this.

Maybe, and being willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on a day the lounge was packed to the rafters, the CX staff don't understand the guess access rules?

As I understand I can guest in my wife, my 4 year old child (two guests in total), and infants (seated on lap) don't count as an adult guest (so in theory, I could bring in an infinite number) - is that correct?

I'm back at HKG next week, same guests, same lounge, so I'll get ready for more fun and games in the opposite direction. Printout at the ready.
CX are 100% aware of lounge access rules and access based on status. No need for a print out of the rules. Although based on your status you should get a lounge invite automatically if connecting or originating on CX.

Maybe they were concerned about capacity.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Whoah, they were correct to deny you! You are only allowed 1 guest as a partner OWE. Not 2, which is the minimum you were shooting for, and you were maybe trying to bring 3.

CX permits 2 only for their own program, Diamond members. While I'm not sure how your infant is technicallysupposed to be treated, im not sure anywhere it says infants don't count. Anyway, even ignoring the infant you were asking them to stretch the rules for you by bringing your wife AND four year old kid. Throw in the extra youngest one, and you were stretching it further than perhaps you realized. My guess is, they weren't leniant because they saw not only the extra guest but the younger one as well, and perhaps the lounge was busy to boot.

When I read your first post I was very surprised. But I must've read the last paragraph too quickly. Now that you've returned and reiterated the situation I think I understand now. Nothing strange happened here!

I will add, those links being thrown about above are quite abundantly clear the number is one guest, not two (or three). Perhaps like the other posters I just missed the fact there was a single OWE essentially trying to bring in 3 extra bodies. I think CX muddles the issue by being leniant sometimes.

Last edited by QRC3288; Dec 31, 2018 at 9:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.