Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka what are my choices)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka what are my choices)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Flying CX F from LAX to HKG in 2 months, and am unfortunately under the age of 21- supposedly meaning I won't be allowed into the QF F lounge. If this is the case, will I be able to guest anyone over the age of 21 into the lounge, who in return will have the misfortune of being my "adult supervisor" for a few hours?
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by AJ747M
Flying CX F from LAX to HKG in 2 months, and am unfortunately under the age of 21- supposedly meaning I won't be allowed into the QF F lounge. If this is the case, will I be able to guest anyone over the age of 21 into the lounge, who in return will have the misfortune of being my "adult supervisor" for a few hours?
Check out the lounge meetup thread, you can make an offer and see if anyone takes it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
I am going to be in transit in HKG for about 8 hours flying in J on CX and am a OWE. Last time I used The Wing F Lounge the staff at the reception desk put a small stamp on my boarding pass, I guess to indicate that I entered the lounge. If I use The Wing F lounge again, can I then go and visit The Pier F Lounge too or because I have already "used" my boarding pass to enter one lounge I will not be able to enter another F lounge?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by yabadoo
I am going to be in transit in HKG for about 8 hours flying in J on CX and am a OWE. Last time I used The Wing F Lounge the staff at the reception desk put a small stamp on my boarding pass, I guess to indicate that I entered the lounge. If I use The Wing F lounge again, can I then go and visit The Pier F Lounge too or because I have already "used" my boarding pass to enter one lounge I will not be able to enter another F lounge?
You can enter as many lounges as often as you want, even the QF one as well. The stamp is to indicate you have been 'processed', not that you have used a one time entry.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You can enter as many lounges as often as you want, even the QF one as well. The stamp is to indicate you have been 'processed', not that you have used a one time entry.
Thank you!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I don't know about QF, but I believe CX lounges are OK as HK drinking age is 18.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by yabadoo
Do you mean the red stamp (for F - they use blue for J)? That is for re-entry. They usually don't stamp your BP. I sometimes ask them to stamp my BP so I can get in and out faster if there is a line. You can re-enter even without the stamp.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Do you mean the red stamp (for F - they use blue for J)? That is for re-entry. They usually don't stamp your BP. I sometimes ask them to stamp my BP so I can get in and out faster if there is a line. You can re-enter even without the stamp.
tbh they have hardly checked the stamp. i have a feeling they are well trained to "recognize" passengers who already went in once. (not if you move from one lounge to another, tho)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I don't know about QF, but I believe CX lounges are OK as HK drinking age is 18.
QF F did you mean in LAX? But it's a tended bar in LAX so i think you'd be able to get in? (Im not sure)

but in HKG you'd be fine in CX and QF lounge both. Australia and HK both have drinking age as 18 so there are no reason to have other rules.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
QF F LAX - the first thing they ask for, even before BPs, is passport (to check you're over 21), so the adult guest trick is probably not going to work

This is the strictest lounge when it comes to this! (CX SFO is a close 2nd, while AA FLs hardly care. Perhaps OP could visit the LAX FL instead, it's pretty nice now!)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
QF F LAX - the first thing they ask for, even before BPs, is passport (to check you're over 21), so the adult guest trick is probably not going to work

This is the strictest lounge when it comes to this! (CX SFO is a close 2nd, while AA FLs hardly care. Perhaps OP could visit the LAX FL instead, it's pretty nice now!)
Hmm...that's not good to hear!

The policy on the Cathay website states Alcoholic drinks are only offered to passengers aged 21 and over. Travellers under the age of 21 can only enter the lounge when supervised by an adult.

Is anyone aware if they insist that the adult is a family member and/or is travelling with you?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The policy on the Cathay website states Alcoholic drinks are only offered to passengers aged 21 and over. Travellers under the age of 21 can only enter the lounge when supervised by an adult.
The policy I see on the Cathay site here says
If the passenger is a minor and is travelling alone, admission to the lounge and alcohol consumption follow local laws and the policy of the lounge operator. Proof of age may be required to access the lounge.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by christep
The policy I see on the Cathay site here says
Yep, I missed that. Don't think I'd classify as a minor however (19yrs). The policy I was looking at is here. No mention of who can be considered a supervising adult so am hoping someone who has been in the same situation before could shed light.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:07 pm

Yep, I missed that. Don't think I'd classify as a minor however (19yrs). The policy I was looking at is here. No mention of who can be considered a supervising adult so am hoping someone who has been in the same situation before could shed light.
You are still a minor in LAX, but not in HKG.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
So I am now confused. I have a non-status friend, flying CX in C from BKK-HKG and then connecting to CX in PE HKG-SFO. All one ticket.

I was prepared to tell him he'll have lounge access in BKK but not in HKG since the first flight is under five hours, but a few posters above said that for CX to CX connections, the highest class at any point in the journey will determine access, that it is more generous than OW rules. So will he get in to the lounge in HKG?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.