Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka what are my choices)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka what are my choices)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:18 pm

I have a question about lounge access and I hope someone can give me more info since I'm completely new.

I'm thinking about booking award J/F ticket from LAX to HKG. Now I heard that If I fly J or F I can access the lounge for free. Is that correct? Do I have to pay anything when I'm inside the lounge such as food? I heard there's a buffet and other nice services there but I'm not sure if I need to bring money to pay or not.

Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by asiantraveler
I have a question about lounge access and I hope someone can give me more info since I'm completely new.

I'm thinking about booking award J/F ticket from LAX to HKG. Now I heard that If I fly J or F I can access the lounge for free. Is that correct? Do I have to pay anything when I'm inside the lounge such as food? I heard there's a buffet and other nice services there but I'm not sure if I need to bring money to pay or not.

Thanks!
Yes, you would have lounge access on a J/F ticket. If you have connecting flights on AA to get to LAX, you can also access AA lounges on the same day in other cities by showing your CX J/F boarding pass. If HKG is your final destination, you can also use the Arrivals lounge there. If you transit, you can use the departures lounges (Wing, Pier, Cabin, Bridge etc).

Food in CX lounges and the oneworld lounge at LAX is free. If you access an AA Admirals Club along the way, some light nibbles in those clubs are free but you need to pay for anything more substantial.

Doing a search of this forum might turn up some recent info on what's available in the LAX lounge before CX flights. I've only ever passed through once, a couple years ago, so my info is out of date.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:03 am

Thanks for the info CrazyJ82! I'm actually going to depart LAX to HKG to SGN. I heard a lot about the CX lounges in HKG with all the services and didn't know what to expect. Have you been to any of the lounges in HKG?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by asiantraveler
I heard a lot about the CX lounges in HKG with all the services and didn't know what to expect.
Refer to the above Wiki. There's endless links / reviews / photos for you to browse through.

They are all nicely furnished lounges for you to rest before your flight with a decent selection of food. Just don't set your expectation too high and expect it to be Disneyland - and you'll be fine.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think it would be great if someone added a definitive Q&A to the info above regarding long layovers where the passenger arrives on a long haul flight and wants to use the F lounge in departures to shower/eat/relax, leave a bag there, then go into the city, and then return and use a lounge before departing. How can they do this, where do they go, is it difficult, etc.

There is info in several threads about this, but it's not totally consistent, some people say it's easy to do, some people say it's a pain in the neck and going backwards from departures lounge through immigration is difficult and time consuming.

I'm interested in this because I'm flying in on an F flight at 6 a.m. next week and then connect on a KA flight in J 10 hours later. I hear the arrivals lounge is not that great, so I think I'll want to go through departures, use the Wing F lounge, leave a bag, go into the city, come back and use the lounge again. Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold
J LH inbound, Y SH outbound

I've bought the following tickets for my parents: 2 PNRs,
1. CDG-HKG on CX in J
2. HKG-HAN on KA in Y (leaving 3 hours after CDG flight arrival)
Based on OW rules, I understand they should have access to departing lounge in HK, however eligibility for a short haul flight in coach based on long haul arriving business flight is not mentioned on CX website.

they don't have any OW status

What's the best way for them to ensure they will have lounge access without having to argue with dragon (request invite in Paris, ask confirmation to customer service by email earlier?)

thanks
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:36 am

HKG-AKL flight

OW Emerald flying Premium Economy
NZ sold ticket, CX operated flight
HKG-AKL

Any CX lounge access?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Carberry
HKG-AKL

Any CX lounge access?
Hmmm..it's a good question, but I'm pretty certain you get CX First lounge access. You're an OWE flying on a CX operated flight.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:54 am

HKG-AKL

Any CX lounge access?
UPDATE: No lounge access
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:26 am
Suspended

Which flight # was this?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Oneworld FF access is for oneworld marketed and operated flights. Since NZ isn't oneworld, and assuming you have a NZ code on the ticket, you don't meet the criterion, unfortunately, nor will you benefit from the specIal arrangements with NZ ("Customers will also enjoy expanded opportunities to earn and redeem frequent flyer points or miles. Top-tier members from Air New Zealands Airpoints and Cathay Pacifics The Marco Polo Club will enjoy reciprocal benefits when travelling on code-share flights, including lounge access, extra baggage allowances and many other priority services") since those don't extend to top-tier members of other oneworld airlines, only top-tier members with CX or NZ

Do you have a NZ or CX code on the ticket? If it is a CX code, then check in at the CX counters and you will probably get a lounge invitation anyway. But, as I said, with a NZ code you are probably out of luck
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
Just a quick question regarding the CX lounge in KUL. Do CX operate separate F/J lounges or is it a combined lounge? Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by duckied
Just a quick question regarding the CX lounge in KUL. Do CX operate separate F/J lounges or is it a combined lounge? Thanks.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...tails.KUL.html

Alternatively, you can use MH's if you're OWS/GO or above.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:39 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
First time on CX J ex-HKG redeye. I will have about 4 hours airside, and would like to visit as many lounges as possible. If distance from the gate is not taken into account, what order would you recommend?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by :D!
First time on CX J ex-HKG redeye. I will have about 4 hours airside, and would like to visit as many lounges as possible. If distance from the gate is not taken into account, what order would you recommend?
If exHKG (non-transit), just do it in the order they are physically located. Start off with G16 -> Wing -> Cabin -> Bridge -> Pier.

If your gate is at the lower end (1~25), you might want to consider taking the train down to the far end, and visit the Pier first then walk your way backward. (ie. Pier -> Bridge -> [Cabin->Wing->G16] or [Wing->(if theres time G16)->Cabin])

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.