Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific – Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by wickedkhalsa
hi folks, i am OWS .. I will be flying out of HKG @7pm CX flight and my guest will be flying out @1am on a CX flight .. my question is can i visit multiple lounges with my guest ... and leave him in the last lounge for extra few hours as I leave before him ...
Not a problem. Just make sure your guest gets their boarding pass scanned when they enter with you, and gets a re-entry stamp when you guys exit and go to another lounge. This will ensure they're allowed back in if they pop out without you.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
hi folks, i am OWS .. I will be flying out of HKG @7pm CX flight and my guest will be flying out @1am on a CX flight .. my question is can i visit multiple lounges with my guest ... and leave him in the last lounge for extra few hours as I leave before him ...
Yes to the first question, but no to the second, in principle: since they are your guest, when you leave, they must leave. Which means at about 6:30pm. They have no grounds for complaint if they are asked to leave then or refused re-entry later.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: MARIOTT GOLD, QR GOLD,OW S. HH DIA, CHASE RESERVE
Originally Posted by christep
Yes to the first question, but no to the second, in principle: since they are your guest, when you leave, they must leave. Which means at about 6:30pm. They have no grounds for complaint if they are asked to leave then or refused re-entry later.
Thank you .... it should be interesting doing this ....
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Thank you .... it should be interesting doing this ....
What christep says is perhaps technically correct, although I'm not even sure about that. Nowhere in the MPC terms and conditions that I can find does it say your lounge guest must leave when you do.

It won't be "interesting"...it will be a non-event. In practice, it is 0% enforced even if they technically must leave. I've done this too many times to count over 10 years. I've never quite had a guest stay as long as you I don't think (5+ hours), but very frequently I go in with colleagues and clients and say I have a 9am flight and theirs is 10am. Many of us fly all the time. What am I going to do, tell them to leave the F lounge because I did? It's awkward and bizarre. I'm not telling a client that. Some of my clients have access on their own, others are flying Y class with no status. I'm definitely not booting the guy out. Never, ever, ever had an issue.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: MARIOTT GOLD, QR GOLD,OW S. HH DIA, CHASE RESERVE
Noted... i meant it would be interesting visiting multiple lounges .... I am not worried about my guest ... i am sure he will be just fine ....

On another note ... any hidden features of any of the J lounges in HKG.. we are foodies ..

thanks all
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:20 pm

Noted... i meant it would be interesting visiting multiple lounges .... I am not worried about my guest ... i am sure he will be just fine ....

On another note ... any hidden features of any of the J lounges in HKG.. we are foodies ..

thanks all
Then your best bet will be to just go to The Pier. It's the one lounge that comprises all offerings from the other lounges. But remember, it's still airport lounge food

For example, The Cabin doesn't have that lovely CX Noodle Bar, but serves Paninis. The Wing has a proper noodle bar but only minor offerings of cold cuts and cheeses and doesn't serve Paninis. The Bridge has a proper bread selection and pizza, but doesn't have a Noodle Bar and again only limited cold cuts selection. And so on
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Cathay First Class Lounge Access Question

Hey guys,

I managed to secure 3F award seats via AS from LAX-HKG. We have an onward flight to AKL 2 days later on an A350, which of course, does not have an F cabin.

Because this is an F redemption and the only reason we aren't in F for the HKG-AKL flight is the plane's lack of an F cabin, is there any way to convince the CX lounge staff to allow us into the F side? I would really love to show my family the F lounge and would hate to not be able to due to a technicality.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey guys,

I managed to secure 3F award seats via AS from LAX-HKG. We have an onward flight to AKL 2 days later on an A350, which of course, does not have an F cabin.

Because this is an F redemption and the only reason we aren't in F for the HKG-AKL flight is the plane's lack of an F cabin, is there any way to convince the CX lounge staff to allow us into the F side? I would really love to show my family the F lounge and would hate to not be able to due to a technicality.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Highly unlikely, as in almost impossible, IMHO.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:15 pm

It's not a "technicality"! Haha mate it's the rules. Those Alaska tickets provide bare bones revenues to CX and are a great win for you if you scored 3 tickets. But I haven't heard of a single case where it was permitted for partner redeemers to break the rules, and we get this question quite a lot here. If you search around you'll see heaps of similar questions with identical answers. The rules are same day yes, other day no. Regardless if the ticket was bought at once or not. So for example you land on Dec 15 at 6am on CX883 (presumably leaving LAX on Dec 13 evening). If you have a connecting flight that leaves HKG on Dec 15, or even Dec 16 up until about 2am end of the "airport day" you're good. If your connecting flight take off on Dec 16 from 6am onwards you aren't good.

CX is indeed quite reasonable for other situations, I do know of instances where it was permitted for cash pax. But these guys were paying 20k+ USD for a similar itinerary. CX has some way of identifying the higher value pax and acconodating. Alaska mileage redemption tix don't provide CX with much more revenue than ID discount (industry / crew) passengers. I would just Pat yourself on the back for the incredible situation of getting 3 F tix and paying peanuts!

Another positive is visit the Pier J, it is a superb lounge. Many of us CX DMs visit it instead of the F side anyway.

Last edited by QRC3288; Dec 5, 2017 at 5:23 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Hi just want to make sure we get the correct picture when you said 2 days later. A night flight from LAX arrives HK "2 calendar days" later in the morning. Ie if you fly on Dec 5, you will arrives on Dec 7 morning HK time. And if your connecting flight is same day (ie dec 7), you are allowed to use F lounge. Otherwise, like other explained as its the rule.
note right now there is night flight leaves LAX around 11:40pm arrives 8am(2 days later).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Almost definitely no, unless you have OW Emerald.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My advice would be to enjoy the trip and be pleased that you are showing your family the world in a style that relatively few people will ever be able to do, rather than be concerned that others are entitled to access a lounge that you cannot show off to your family. I doubt they’ll ever miss the difference between a CX F and J lounge compared to the excitement of seeing New Zealand and Hong Kong.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Hi just want to make sure we get the correct picture when you said 2 days later. A night flight from LAX arrives HK "2 calendar days" later in the morning. Ie if you fly on Dec 5, you will arrives on Dec 7 morning HK time. And if your connecting flight is same day (ie dec 7), you are allowed to use F lounge. Otherwise, like other explained as its the rule.
note right now there is night flight leaves LAX around 11:40pm arrives 8am(2 days later).
We arrive into HKG on 12/13 @ 18:55 and depart HKG to AKL on 12/15 @ 15:20

I appreciate the comments and they seem to echo the information from the CX call centre but I didn't think there was any chance to get 2F much less 3F ... so I'm still holding out hope.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Pier J lounge as well ... what I really want is the Cabana access
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: CX DM
You could try making a request on the lounge meet up master thread to see if there are people available to guest you all in.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
......what I really want is the Cabana access
Hmmmm. Let me see if I understand this.....
You scored a bunch of CX F tickets.
But you want access to the Cabanas 2 days after you arrive in HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.