Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Transpac R/T QF award on CX -- J+J or F+Y ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transpac R/T QF award on CX -- J+J or F+Y ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Since you mentioned you called MPC, I assume you have some sort of their with MPO?
Why not open CX.com and search for yourself...
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Hi -- I did search on CX using AsiaMiles ... and there does seem to be more availability for CX flights than using QF points for those same flights.

However, the AsiaMiles availability for early DEC between HKG-YVR is via London (CX257 and then BA). With the baby we really are looking for shorter path, ideally CX838, but in any case am limited to the availability via QF website (which currently doesn't have any business seats in December).

Anyway, thank you for your assistance and insights. It was certainly helpful and I will follow the evolution of availability via QF over the next couple weeks and go from there.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:54 pm

Polarpacific,

How much does QF charge for infant in arms for CX? When I was trying to book my ticket using AA miles, AA wanted to charge me 25% of the full fare. That added up to alot of money.

CX J full fare round trip is around $8000 dollars, so CX wanted me to pay $2000.
CX F full fare one way and ECON is around $10K to 12K. That is a 2K to 4 K difference in fare and at 25%, that is 500 to 1000 extra..

I end up using BA points. The fuel surcharge was not as bad as paying for CX F Full fare 25%....

Originally Posted by polarpacific
Hello

We are 2 adults plus infant going from HKG to YVR in December.

Using QF points, Business round-trip is 92000+92000 = 184000 points each plus charges and infant fee.

Alternatively, First outbound and Economy inbound is 50000+134000 = 184000 points each, plus charges and infant fee.

So total cost is identical at 368000 points plus charges and fees.

Have 377000 points available, so not enough for R/T In F for 2.

Which experience combination is better -- J+J or F+Y ?

Flexible to consider routing via SFO or LAX if necessary for availability.

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I would seriously recommend JJ combination, it's probably one of the best J product you can find. Unless you really want a F experience, I would not recommend doing FY because the Y part would be a serious pain
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Follow-Up

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Over the past couple weeks I checked online every day with QF to see how award availability evolved for 2 business seats (+ infant) on CX for HKG-YVR in early DEC.

We are actually in SIN, but the key issue was the long-haul HKG-YVR leg.

As it turns out, the system tonight showed some availability on 03DEC for HKG-YVR. As the QF online system cannot show SIN-YVR with transfer in HKG, I called QF to double-check and make the booking.

While HKG-YVR in business is 92,000 points + tax per person one-way, the extra distance SIN-HKG-YVR is 104,000 points + SGD 228 in tax per adult, and just SGD 194 in tax for the baby.

So all-in 208,000 + SGD 650 for 2 adults + infant in business one way.

The HKG-YVR flight is CX 888 (773 aircraft) departing 01:00. The available connections for SIN-HKG were either CX636 arriving 00:05 for straight through, or CX734 (333 aircraft) arriving 20:20 with several hours to rest in the lounge.

We chose CX734 as the rest in HKG will be more relaxing for us with the baby (he will be 2 months old) instead of rushing with less than an hour.

If it is not too much trouble for those familiar with the 333 and 773, how does it work with the baby bassinet? Is there just one particular seat on each flight which we need to reserve directly with CX?

QF has already issued the confirmations with ticket numbers.

We are glad we got the outbound trip sorted -- Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Over the past couple weeks I checked online every day with QF to see how award availability evolved for 2 business seats (+ infant) on CX for HKG-YVR in early DEC.

We are actually in SIN, but the key issue was the long-haul HKG-YVR leg.

As it turns out, the system tonight showed some availability on 03DEC for HKG-YVR. As the QF online system cannot show SIN-YVR with transfer in HKG, I called QF to double-check and make the booking.

While HKG-YVR in business is 92,000 points + tax per person one-way, the extra distance SIN-HKG-YVR is 104,000 points + SGD 228 in tax per adult, and just SGD 194 in tax for the baby.

So all-in 208,000 + SGD 650 for 2 adults + infant in business one way.

The HKG-YVR flight is CX 888 (773 aircraft) departing 01:00. The available connections for SIN-HKG were either CX636 arriving 00:05 for straight through, or CX734 (333 aircraft) arriving 20:20 with several hours to rest in the lounge.

We chose CX734 as the rest in HKG will be more relaxing for us with the baby (he will be 2 months old) instead of rushing with less than an hour.

If it is not too much trouble for those familiar with the 333 and 773, how does it work with the baby bassinet? Is there just one particular seat on each flight which we need to reserve directly with CX?

QF has already issued the confirmations with ticket numbers.

We are glad we got the outbound trip sorted -- Thanks again for everyone's help.
I would call CX and reserve it (assuming QF did not make remarks that you require it or chose appropriate seats.)
I don't usually travel with infants in J though so I can't comment (I only did once, in TPAC Y. It was absolute h3ll but for $50 compensation, then...)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thundershaft

How much does QF charge for infant in arms for CX?
Hi Thundershaft

QF charged cash amounts of SGD 194 for the baby and SGD 228 for each adult, and 104,000 points for each of the adults (none for the baby) for the award tickets SIN-HKG-YVR on CX.

For paid flights on QF, I think the infant fee is normally 10% of the regular adult price.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Hi Thundershaft

QF charged cash amounts of SGD 194 for the baby and SGD 228 for each adult, and 104,000 points for each of the adults (none for the baby) for the award tickets SIN-HKG-YVR on CX.

For paid flights on QF, I think the infant fee is normally 10% of the regular adult price.
Correct with regards to revenue tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.