Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Gone: Trick to extend Asiamiles for $120/12K AM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Couldnt search up the thread that detailed the trick on 'extending' Asiamiles expiry by 3+ years. (Book an award, cancel, pay the penalty, and the miles would hit back your account like 'freshly earned' miles).

Did find a recent thread where a poster alluded to the refunded miles not having a full 3y, but a 'shorter' life. Here're the details.

I can confirm that the trick doesn't work any longer.

Had a complicated oneworld multicity award aa-bb-cc//dd-bb-aa-ee or something like that. Travel plans changed and i just needed a round trip aa-bb ticket. Fast and efficient agent caught on my concern of not wanting the award seats for aa-bb 'released' back and cancelled the original ticket (for the 120 fee), & issued a new award ticket using the original award reservation segments required (infact the booking reference for both CX and the partner airline remained the same as the original).

There being a mileage difference, I got a few Asiamiles refunded to my account.

Looking up my old statements, these miles came back to the exact 'expiry year buckets' that they had originally been taken from (some with 2y and others with a 3y expiry).

Not sure if an outright cancellation would be any different, but I'd think not, as a new ticket issued today would also use the 'earlier expiring' miles first.

A trick lost is always sad..but guess this is just fair.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:01 am
Suspended

Fair approach ^
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Blatant posting on here is a sure way for CX to close any gaps and trust me they do. A more discrete means of sharing tips like this would more than likely kept this one going.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:51 pm

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
@jagmeets thanks for the heads up.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
i think one of the reasons might be that the original miles have in itself a long expiration date. i would imagine if someone were to redeem using miles that would expire in the near future might be a different story
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Could well be, but I doubt..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-expiring.html

and as far as I recall, the original trick gave 3years (not sure whether it was from the original expiry date, or the date you cancelled).
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:13 am
Suspended

Just wondered what happened when u refund it past the original expiry date already?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Just wondered what happened when u refund it past the original expiry date already?
Exactly, that's why I think they will still postpone the expiry date
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jona970318
Exactly, that's why I think they will still postpone the expiry date

There's no written policy and I'm sure people can argue for a full three year expiration before CX come up with something...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catcathk
There's no written policy and I'm sure people can argue for a full three year expiration before CX come up with something...
And with this thread created and wide in visible of CX' management's eyes....it will won't be too long until a policy get drafted up.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Not entirely sure about the 'harm' caused by discussing a trick lost, unless someone knows for a fact, of the MPC's flexibility in giving longer expiry dates on 'returned' miles for cancelled tickets.

In which case I apologize for starting this. In that package also comes the apology for giving a heads up to folks who'd been counting on using the original trick to extend their miles (And would have a nasty surprise waiting when they tried).

I for one would be in the camp that would be glad if CX was actively monitoring and following up on stuff discussed here. Doubt they'd be sneaky enough to only deal with things they could 'take away' while entirely ignoring issues that might cause loyal fliers to take their biz away.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Previous discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-possible.html

I did a refund and reissue (US$120 kind, I kept the return seats on a round-trip redemption but rerouted and changed airlines on the outbound) in March. The original redemption was made in February. Since the miles were fresh and I didn't held the tickets for long I got fresh miles back.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:26 am

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Agree with jagmeets.

I don't think he should apologize as he is merely stating an experience.

I don't see the wisdom others are invoking that we keep out mouth shut so that CX won't find holes and seal it. Should we now speak in secret language when we find these uncovered or gray matter so that we can discuss?

This is a forum after all.

I remain thankful to this discussion (as was the previous one), and if CX thinks the fair attitude is to revert the miles back to its original expiration then so be it. At least its clear.

Look if CX wanted to give us that perk of resetting to a new expiration, they would even if they know customers are talking about it or not. Since it appears they want to sticklers, at least we all know.

I believe to talk about this is way positive than not at all.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
And with this thread created and wide in visible of CX' management's eyes....it will won't be too long until a policy get drafted up.
How many times do these people need to be told about this stupid type of posting. We know whats coming next, a barrage of whingers complaining how the fly for free crowd are being treated so badly
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

With due respect, why dont mayodave and others who think that this thread is stupid/purpose-defeating, do the constructive thing and highlight this to the mods to remove from the board? Instead of replying on, and bringing the thread back 'up' on the forum from the soltitude of back-pages.

I for one would have appreciated info like this, hence the post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.