Search

Cathay vs. Qantas, five years on

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Cathay vs. Qantas, five years on

Inspired by http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ree-years.html , but no intention to parrot.

Using my recent HKG-SYD-MEL-SYD-HKG to compare Cathay against HK emigre's "other big" overseas airline. Using same headings.

Service

I am low status on both airlines. Pleasantly surprised with QF service tho (previous flights were bad, esp. my last flight which was a PER-SYD 4h domestic on a unrefurbished 767 with VHS video and an inedible Macaroni main).

Well they were smart enough to give out bottles for everyone, which eliminated half the need for crew calls.

My SO constantly asked for Perrier during meals which were served without issue from the galley.

And (as opposed to domestic) food option is argurably better than CX - better mains and better wines (SO pleasantly surprised at my sparkling wine, which she appropriated to accompany her Perrier).

Side note which I did not add to or take away marks from QF - the tech on the inbound domestic causing a 24h delay:
- (plus) the pilot did the right thing to cancel the flight
- (minus) let down by QF Engineering. I've been on dozens more CX/KA short hauls and lucky enough to never have a delay due to tech, much less an cancelled flight
- (plus) stranded passenger hotel, transfer, meals and accom as good as can be expected
- (minus) no success getting me on CX flights on same day (there were seats, but in J), although they did get me out within 24 hours.

Seats

We were scheduled to try out two planes, the new 380 outbound and 747 return. And a couple of domestics on 738s.

Slightly disappointed with the 380 - no power port (seat 70F). Neither my SO in 70E nor a discreet search of my neighbour in 70G shows any power plug. Supposedly there was meant to be a shared one http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...ions/global/en . I dunno if it is my seat or is there really no power plug in QF A380 Y. I didn't notice one on SQ or KE A380 Y either but I only took regional flights with them, I sort of expected a plug on an Aus-HK flight for laptops esp during daytime (spoilt by the CX 33G cradle seats).

At least they have USB.

I knew in advance the inbound 747 I was on had no power port or USB at all (the plane has F so I knew it's one of the unrefurbished ones). I even went home and nabbed an extra battery over lunch on departure date. The batteries had enough juice to watch let my SO watch Downton Abbey throughout the daytime flight (see comment on AVOD below), but added to my carry-on luggage weight. Hope the situation improves after refurbishment.

Also another black mark for Qantas - even at 24hrs prompt OLCI, we were only given no choice for seats. This can be reallocated at HK AEL QF counter but it's frustrating to have to wait to do so.

We were allocated split seats on the original SYD-HKG return that MEL couldn't fix - had to wait til I got to SYD. But I missed the flight anyway. No issues on next day.

Surprising the domestic 738s have insufficient bin storage - to the extent our outbound domestic was delayed for it. Everyone had a rollaboard - the captain had to come on the PA to say everyone (except me and SO) has made full use of the carry-on allowance so FAs are still trying to find empty space for all rollaboards. I'd expect this on LCCs with their paid-for checked-in baggage allowance, but QF includes allowance in all fares (checked with neighbour). Not so much an issue on the larger 332.

Since our original inbound 738 went tech we were transferred to a recently-refurbished domestic 332. It's on-par with CX 33G - USB in each seat, comparable seat comfort, similar AVOD. I would have been happy to be on that 332 back to HK.

Finally on AVOD - CX Studio definitely > onQ for programming. No currently showing (or even recently shown) cinema movies - the best they had was Life of Pi - fortunately I haven't watched that before.

Lounges

Not used - no status and on Y tix.

Had to rely on Priority Pass/Plaza Premium lounges, of which there are none in Sydney.

But because QF provides bottles for all pax, half the reason I go into a lounge has been eliminated.

Stopovers

Not that great.
With reduced frequency (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...k-changes.html) the chances of having to stopover are more likely.
MEL/BNE are OK for stopover in my view - same domestic/international terminal building.
SYD is a bxtch - have to take shuttle. I stupidly didn't use the transit facility the last time I had to transit Sydney. I get it now.

Partners

Same alliance. Hope QF doesn't really leave OW cos they are a useful redemption partner for tight redemptions such as this.

Nothing to redeem QF points for - never accumulated enough.

But (unlike KF) there are non-flying redemption options - the 4,000 I had off a red fare to Perth I used for shopping coupons.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 21, 2013 at 1:13 am
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:13 am
Suspended

actually you ommitted a few important points.

Basically for QF they might as well give up the Asia routes.

Look at the frequency now to Asia and to HKG compare to CX?
For premium class, other than catering which QF can be better at times, the hardware is a joke (sloping beds are still used on most flights).

I think for lounges we can omit as you can use either airlines if your are status or in premium cabins.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Frequency is the big QF killer. Probably due to higher cost base, CX is running circles around QF on the HK-AU bilateral. CX is trying to exceed 70 flights/week whereas QF is probably still struggling to maintain the 29 it currently operates http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...s-to-australia

(side note: I don't see how a HK-owned Australian carrier can operate successfully, if the current virtual monopolist is struggling like this and the other Australian International Airline VA isn't touching this route with a barge pole)

I think QF might give up all Asian routes sometime down the road but I hope that date won't come too soon - even with 1 flight/day there's more redemption availabilility on it than any CX flight.

P.S. cross referencing the CX-AC thread, I've seen none of the appalling AC customer service on QF. Certainly no coffee spills or elbows. Yes the QF crew was on average older... old compared to CX, but they still provided what I (my SO) wanted without fuss (see what competition and the potential for redundancy does?)

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 21, 2013 at 1:46 am
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
I think it's almost unfair to mention Qantas alongside Air Canada. While on an overall basis CX is better than QF, particularly on a hard product basis, there are many important attributes on which QF is materially superior to CX such as the quality of the food offering, the breadth and quality of wines, and the home airport lounge facilities.

Air Canada on the other hand, while one of the better airlines within a North American context, is nowhere near what passes these days for international standard.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Too much travel
I think it's almost unfair to mention Qantas alongside Air Canada. While on an overall basis CX is better than QF, particularly on a hard product basis, there are many important attributes on which QF is materially superior to CX such as the quality of the food offering, the breadth and quality of wines, and the home airport lounge facilities.

Air Canada on the other hand, while one of the better airlines within a North American context, is nowhere near what passes these days for international standard.
I wouldn't say it is MATERIALLY Superior.

QF doesn't offer a good snack selection (ie. noodles and they just got rid of the toasted sandwiches).
QF does not provide Espresso in J Class
QF does not provide 2 meals on the SYD-hKG route in J Class and u just eat the left overs from the first service
CX can use the SYD lounge and vv so not even a point to consider.
QF's IFE is not as good as StudioCX
QF does not provide the same level of non-alcoholic beverages.
The Champagne between CX and QF is around the same.
Only thing QF is better is the main course - which is plated separately.
QF's dessert and cheese selection not as good as CX and they have the OR rather than AND between the 2, but of course if you want both they would allow.
Service wise, each are good and bad in different ways so also a moot point based on personal preference.

But given the hardware and schedule QF is the clear loser here and a lot of corp clients I know on the SYD-HKG route have jumped to CX. As a business traveller, I really don't give a S about the meal and wine if you can't give me the choice of schedule.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:20 am
Original Poster

My parents and their friends mention AC and QF under the same breath (then say how good CX is in comparison); I'm assessing how true is that.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
In terms of Y+, I'm going to give QF a go and see how they compare.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hau cheng
Interesting! Please remember to post your thoughts here after trip.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hau cheng
Their seat appears to be better but it is not on offered in the 330
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Their seat appears to be better but it is not on offered in the 330
Booked on A380 and 747
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Usually I wouldn't chip in on this thread, hell I'm lucky to go "Down Under" once a year if I'm lucky, but I did a QF J JNB-SYD and CX J SYD-HKG this past week so I'll try

Basically for QF they might as well give up the Asia routes.

Look at the frequency now to Asia and to HKG compare to CX?
For premium class, other than catering which QF can be better at times, the hardware is a joke (sloping beds are still used on most flights).
I agree that QF have given up alot on Asia Routes, looking at their magazine, its insane how much is on JQ.
Sloping beds is like how we used to have selectively pick our flights, hope a herringbone flight doesn't turn into Cirrus. That being said, I wasn't too impressed with the old QF 744 F seat either.

Originally Posted by percysmith
My parents and their friends mention AC and QF under the same breath (then say how good CX is in comparison); I'm assessing how true is that.

Maybe its my always bad perception of Air Canada, Aeroplan doesn't give any value anymore with all the devaluations. I don't personally know about QFF but its not of importance for my routes. The offerings of the Qantas Club is a bit more substantial vs. the Maple Leaf Club in general. More variations of the Salad Bar, or the Breakfast offering comes to mind. You can't really have a full breaky or lunch at Maple Leaf Club while you can do so at the Qantas Club. And somehow the main Qantas Club I've been in (SYD/MEL) feels they have alot more space in comparison to their Canadian Cousins.

I wouldn't say it is MATERIALLY Superior.

QF doesn't offer a good snack selection (ie. noodles and they just got rid of the toasted sandwiches).
QF does not provide Espresso in J Class
QF does not provide 2 meals on the SYD-hKG route in J Class and u just eat the left overs from the first service
CX can use the SYD lounge and vv so not even a point to consider.
QF's IFE is not as good as StudioCX
QF does not provide the same level of non-alcoholic beverages.
The Champagne between CX and QF is around the same.
Only thing QF is better is the main course - which is plated separately.
QF's dessert and cheese selection not as good as CX and they have the OR rather than AND between the 2, but of course if you want both they would allow.
Service wise, each are good and bad in different ways so also a moot point based on personal preference.

But given the hardware and schedule QF is the clear loser here and a lot of corp clients I know on the SYD-HKG route have jumped to CX. As a business traveller, I really don't give a S about the meal and wine if you can't give me the choice of schedule.
I somewhat disagree with the inadequate snack offerings, they don't alright offer a separate snack menu Yes.
However, if they do catered that small and big dishes in the 1st meal to enough quantity to cover the rest of the flight, I actually like their idea! ^

I really agree with the appetizers and the dessert & cheese options by QF, it feels very cheaply how is 99% always, pick one or the another.
If you are flying business, you should be able to eat a full 5 course meal inflight and QF seems to cheapen their way out of it.
That being said, QF J food > CX J food, CX J food is nothing special although it's not as bad as say TG J food
And the old seats, I had the QF 744 Old F with J service on JNB-SYD, and I feel really packed in together with 14 F seats, the AVOD is acceptable, but the way its configured, its barely got any storage space at all.
The FA on that flight did individually serve course instead of the usual J tray service which was nice

And finally with CX running Cirrus 333 J seats down to Aussie, I would even go CX J over QF 744 F on SYD-HKG.
I LOVE the QF F SYD lounge, its sad I don't fly down there more often, absolutely Love it <3
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Usually I wouldn't chip in on this thread, hell I'm lucky to go "Down Under" once a year if I'm lucky, but I did a QF J JNB-SYD and CX J SYD-HKG this past week so I'll try

I agree that QF have given up alot on Asia Routes, looking at their magazine, its insane how much is on JQ.
Sloping beds is like how we used to have selectively pick our flights, hope a herringbone flight doesn't turn into Cirrus. That being said, I wasn't too impressed with the old QF 744 F seat either.

Maybe its my always bad perception of Air Canada, Aeroplan doesn't give any value anymore with all the devaluations. I don't personally know about QFF but its not of importance for my routes. The offerings of the Qantas Club is a bit more substantial vs. the Maple Leaf Club in general. More variations of the Salad Bar, or the Breakfast offering comes to mind. You can't really have a full breaky or lunch at Maple Leaf Club while you can do so at the Qantas Club. And somehow the main Qantas Club I've been in (SYD/MEL) feels they have alot more space in comparison to their Canadian Cousins.

I somewhat disagree with the inadequate snack offerings, they don't alright offer a separate snack menu Yes.
However, if they do catered that small and big dishes in the 1st meal to enough quantity to cover the rest of the flight, I actually like their idea! ^

I really agree with the appetizers and the dessert & cheese options by QF, it feels very cheaply how is 99% always, pick one or the another.
If you are flying business, you should be able to eat a full 5 course meal inflight and QF seems to cheapen their way out of it.
That being said, QF J food > CX J food, CX J food is nothing special although it's not as bad as say TG J food
And the old seats, I had the QF 744 Old F with J service on JNB-SYD, and I feel really packed in together with 14 F seats, the AVOD is acceptable, but the way its configured, its barely got any storage space at all.
The FA on that flight did individually serve course instead of the usual J tray service which was nice

And finally with CX running Cirrus 333 J seats down to Aussie, I would even go CX J over QF 744 F on SYD-HKG.
I LOVE the QF F SYD lounge, its sad I don't fly down there more often, absolutely Love it <3
The small plate thing is a new thing. There have been reports they don't load enough and it is a cost cutting exercise. At the end there are no snacks for ther middle of the flight. The old toasted sandwiches were much better. But as I said before the seat is everything for business traveller in addition to schedule
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
The small plate thing is a new thing. There have been reports they don't load enough and it is a cost cutting exercise. At the end there are no snacks for ther middle of the flight. The old toasted sandwiches were much better. But as I said before the seat is everything for business traveller in addition to schedule
Ah, that must be it, it was using my 2010 and my 2013 comparison, those were the only times I did QF and CX within the same month.
Ya, if they don't catered enough of the small plate then it really is cost cutting
One question, is the old toasted sandwich like a full sized Reuben Sandwich? QF ran that as a Big Plate on my JNB-SYD if so.

Seat and schedule, CX over QF by a mile
And I was even using the QF 744 F seat to compare the CX 333 J seat
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:59 am
Suspended

Ah, that must be it, it was using my 2010 and my 2013 comparison, those were the only times I did QF and CX within the same month.
Ya, if they don't catered enough of the small plate then it really is cost cutting
One question, is the old toasted sandwich like a full sized Reuben Sandwich? QF ran that as a Big Plate on my JNB-SYD if so.

Also just look at ur menu on CX. The refreshment menu is much more than QF

I have a friend who works on the qf a380 and he said the small plate thing is a disaster esp on the a380! Imagine when 60+ people asking for it at the same time and there is not enough? Also it takes forever to get served on QF compare to CX where I can still get served a hot breakfast with 60 mins or less till landing

Refreshment

Starter

Main Courses
Beef Brisket in Noodle Soup

Kuay Teow Noodles with pork, shiitake mushrooms and choy sum

Goat Cheese Tortellini with cherry tomato and basil ragout and Parmesan

Dessert
Maggie Beer Ice Cream

Tea and Coffee
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:02 am
Suspended

Yes u r right that was the snack sandwich before so they turn it into a main course now. Clear cost cutting. That means they also removed it in PEy as that was offered as a snack in that cabin as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.