Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Upgrading CX metal on AA ticket: possible?

Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT

I apologize if this has been answered before; I was not able to find it by searching.

I have an AA-plated (001) ticket for CX metal with a CX flight number (i.e., NOT a codeshare). I would like to upgrade K to U (no premium economy on this flight) using Asia Miles. I have received many conflicting responses from Asia Miles about whether this is possible. Should it be? If so, in advance? Or only at the airport using an instant upgrade?

My story:

I recently tried to upgrade NRT-HKG return. On my first call, everything seemed fine, and they wait-listed me for the upgrade (quoting 30K miles for the return, as expected). The outbound cleared, so I called to redeem. They queued it for ticketing. It never ticketed. Day of departure from LAX (I was flying LAX-NRT on AA) I spoke with an AAgent in the Flagship lounge who called CX. They were told it was not possible to process the upgrade. Dumbfounded, I insisted it must be because they were happy to deduct miles and dispatch for ticketing; it just hadn't been handled yet. They said they'd work on it.

When I arrived in NRT, I checked in at the CX lounge, and everything seemed fine: ticket was issued, (17.5K) miles deducted, etc. I flew in my upgraded seat, not thinking anything was amiss.

Now, my return has cleared. I called to have the additional 12.5K miles deducted and the ticket reissued. First, they said it would cost 17.5K miles again. Then, they changed their mind and said it was not possible at all since it was an AA ticket. I pointed out I had just flown in on the same ticket, and they claimed they have no record of my outbound upgrade (indeed, the CX reservation on the website has me back in K from U on the outbound, which it was in before and shortly after I flew). Huh?

So, did I get lucky with somebody making magic happen on the outbound? Was it processed as an instant upgrade? Or am I getting bad information? Just wondering how hard to fight/what to push for when I try to depart HKG. My record currently shows me holding both a confirmed K and U seat, but the miles have not been deducted, so I presume the ticket not (yet) reissued.

Last edited by Erasmus; Aug 15, 2013 at 11:47 pm Reason: Make it clear this is not a code share.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I don't know about CX, but it is usually very challenging - if at all possible - to upgrade a codeshare flight. Hopefully someone informed about Asia Miles will chime in with a knowledgeable answer.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I don't know about CX, but it is usually very challenging - if at all possible - to upgrade a codeshare flight. Hopefully someone informed about Asia Miles will chime in with a knowledgeable answer.
I apologize if my post was not clear. I am not inquiring about codeshares. It is a CX marketed, CX operated (even CX fared) flight. It is just plated by AA.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

In case anyone cares, I'll follow up my own post to say that it is possible, and I think even technically allowed. ^ I managed to upgrade both directions, with the following caveats:

I could only get the tickets issued at the airport (likely processed as an instant upgrade), although AsiaMiles service desk was happy to request them---and they cleared several days before departure in both directions.

I was charged 17.5K (the one-way price) in both instances. This caused me to have to fork over cash to "top up" my account at the airport on the return, as I did not have enough miles in my account to cover the extra cost.

I was told to call AsiaMiles after the completion of my trip, and I would be refunded the 5K miles to my account in a few days (but not the top-up purchase fee). We'll see if they show up.

So, the short answer is it can be done. The longer answer is it is a huge PITA---and probably not worth it for regional J. As my first CX experience, I must say I was disappointed.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

It had to be done at the airport because CX does not have control of the AA issued flight coupon until the day of departure.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, OneWorld - Emerald, HH - Diamond
OP:

Did you credit you flight miles to your AA or CX account?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kuana168
OP:

Did you credit you flight miles to your AA or CX account?
I credited to CX because a K fare does not earn AA miles.

Also, just to complete the story, the 5K refund did show up in my AsiaMiles account the next day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.