Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Experiences with Cathay proactively offering upgrades to Premium Economy/Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Cathay proactively offering upgrades to Premium Economy/Business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold

Booked to fly in the next week HKG-SYD-HKG in Y+ (E Class so not available for upgrade). Cost was A$1,700 / HKD 12,155 per ticket.

Three days out from flight my colleague (CX Diamond) received an email from CX Sales Sydney to call if they wanted an upgrade to Business for a "nominal price". No mention of a similar offer for myself (QF Platinum, oneworld Emerald) who is on the same PNR.

Expertflyer shows flight wide open - with availability in I, E and O (lowest classes in each cabin)...

So we called back. Price for each person, one way upgrade is A$1,000 / HKD 7,150.

Hardly a "nominal" price - more than half the original return fare -- ie doubling the cost of the leg. I would call A$200 nominal but not that.

--

I haven't seen this previously mentioned re Cathay, so
- is this common / or testing?
- does anyone accept at those prices?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Might not be a 'nominal price'....but an I fare for this route would be HKD 35,215.00.

So a $23,060 difference....or $11,530 per way compare to PEY. Since they are 'only' asking $7,150....you're getting somewhat a deal? Afterall...the call was from the "sales" department...

At a A$200 price point...they might as well just give you a free op-up.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
slightly more than if you'd done an I-Class TPE-HKG-SYD return...agree it wasn't really 'nominal' still a pretty good deal though - I would've been tempted it was a mileage earning class.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

I-Class TPE-HKG-SYD rr is about A$2,100...

If (and it wasn't on offer) I had taken the A$1000 each way upgrade would be at A$3,600.
Admittedly cheaper than the normal ex-SYD sales and standard fares, but nothing compared to TPE
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
there's reason they want to free up your Y+ seat... it's not marketing ploy cuz as a DM it's expected you know what business class is like... so it feels like they know it will be rather full and doing a pre-emptive strike to earn extra $$$... report back if you get op-up..
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:48 am
Original Poster

As per my opening post, expertflyer shows flight is wide open, with cheapest bucket available in all classes.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by moa999
As per my opening post, expertflyer shows flight is wide open, with cheapest bucket available in all classes.
Yes i did see yoru comment. But flight is next week and lots can chagne. My own experience - T-36 hours I decided to change my J booking (revenue I + companion U) to earlier flight on same day cuz I was with infant so I could use spare seat for infant, and that flight morning flight had 60% of seats unoccupied in J and as you say, "wide open". Guess what, J, Y+ both packed up no empty seat....

Morale of the story - loading from seatmaps/inventory doesn't mean much, maybe they know they have some heavy interest from staff to travel that day (again, only speculation)... let me know, my bet is your flight will be full, CX is butchering QF on SYD route, 4 flights, all them very full in premium cabin whenever i flown.... i myself know few guys within my extended circle of collegues/friends in my industry who commutes HKG-SYD-HKG on weekly if not bi-weekly basis... trying booking a I-class CX138 on Sunday to HK, it's very tough on short notice! You might think it's crazy but the money you can earn in HK and savings from the tax compared to australia (mind u i lived in sydney 7 years before working in HK, i know what I'm talking about...) the maths do add up...
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:37 am

Question got a call from CX to offer discount upgrade to PE

ok so I am flying to Adelaide on Economy from TPE on 31st of Oct, which is in two days. I just got a call from CX TPE office to offer me a discount upgrade to PE from HK-ADL for NTD 5000 (USD 160) on one leg. does that mean that Economy on that flight is overbooked and they are trying to clean some seats by offering me discounted upgrade to PE? I am on MCP Gold btw.

my question here is
should I just take the deal to upgrade to PE or wait till they upgrade me at the gate as I have a higher chance to be upgraded becos of my MCP status?

thoughts are appreciated!!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:55 am
Suspended

Similar discussion in the past: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hay-sales.html

Which flight are you taking? 105?
J/3 C/3 D/2 I/1 W/9 R/9 E/9 Y/2 B/0 H/0 K/0 M/0 L/1 V/0 S/0 N/0 Q/0 O/0
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:51 am

yes its CX105. I actually used my gold status to get my Economy seat just two days ago on V class. that's appreciated. Ta
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
The chances are if they are already doing that, they will be asking others anyway. So it really depends on you whether you really want to secure the seat in PEY or doesn't mind flying in Y and take a chance at check in
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:30 am

Ask if you could do a mileage upgrade to J after paying for PEY. ^
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Id take it. That isnt much money for a longhaul flight. I would say you would also have a high chance for an airport op up to J from PEY.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:38 pm

got a call from CX to offer discount upgrade to PE

Did they mention what booking code to PEY?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
Ask if you could do a mileage upgrade to J after paying for PEY. ^
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
Did they mention what booking code to PEY?
I'm 99% sure it will be in 'E'. It's a 'discounted offer' after all, they aren't going to give you W/R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.