Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Experiences with Cathay proactively offering upgrades to Premium Economy/Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Cathay proactively offering upgrades to Premium Economy/Business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:13 am

well they didn't mention which booking class will be on for PE.
so I didn't take the deal, I am looking forward to seeing what will happen tmr night on my flight and I will post what happen afterwards on there. thanks guys
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a reverse auction. If there are others willing to pay, the PE seats will be gone or the potential oversell situation will be dealt with and there won't be anything for OP at the airport.

There are a lot of people who would pay that kind of money for the UG.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
This is a reverse auction. If there are others willing to pay, the PE seats will be gone or the potential oversell situation will be dealt with and there won't be anything for OP at the airport.

There are a lot of people who would pay that kind of money for the UG.
Agreed. $160 is very cheap to upgrade a 8 hour flight.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by beck0723
my question here is
should I just take the deal to upgrade to PE or wait till they upgrade me at the gate as I have a higher chance to be upgraded becos of my MCP status?

thoughts are appreciated!!
CX is trying a new strategy? Instead of free op-up they target people to pay ahead, good strategy.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
CX is trying a new strategy? Instead of free op-up they target people to pay ahead, good strategy.
That's what BA has been doing for years, but they automate it via a push email. I have had upgrades from PEY to J offered for GBP499 on the SIN-LHR route.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by KACommuter
That's what BA has been doing for years, but they automate it via a push email. I have had upgrades from PEY to J offered for GBP499 on the SIN-LHR route.
Holy cow, what a steal! This actually makes good sense. If an airline knows it will have to op-up X number of people, why not send out announcements that if anyone is willing to pay rather than giving it away for free?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:25 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Upgrade Offer to PEY

Hi All

Wonder if anyone could give some advice. Just received an email offering an upgrade to PEY for HK$500 for a flight HKG to SUB on Thursday 6th November. When I checked MMB the other day the aircraft shown was a regional aircraft with J & Y only. Is there any way of finding out before hand if the equipment has changed and if they are offering PEY now?
The other question is, it only gives a HK number to call. I am in the UK at present. Could this be queried via the UK number?
And lastly, I am currently holding an H class ticket which gives me full teir points and miles to be credited to my BAEC account. If I was successful in doing this upgrade would I still get the full teir points for PEY to credit to my BA account?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Safe and happy travels

S
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
1. If you do a dummy booking, you should be able to see what classes are available for sale on the flight.

2. Don't know if the UK would be able to handle this, but you can always try ringing CX UK and telling them the story, and see if they can deal with it. I would expect they can see the offer in your booking.

3. When you talk to them, ask what fare class the upgrade will be booked into. I would expect, but don't know for certain, that if the class is W, R or E, then you should get the respective BA tier points for those classes.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:11 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi sxc

Replied to your pm. Tried to reply on the original thread but the post reply button wouldn't work.

Called the UK line and they couldn't deal with this so called the HK number and the CS agent sorted it out. The equipment has changed so jumped at the offer and took the upgrade for HK$500. Booked into E class so according to BA and the CS agent will get full PEY teir points and Avios :-)

Good offer for a 4.5 hour flight.

Cheers

Happy & safe travels

S
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Great result! Be aware that regional premium economy doesn't offer anything above economy when it comes to catering/service but please enjoy the space. And with any luck, maybe you'll get pushed up to long haul J!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:30 am
Suspended

For $65 USD, what a deal!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:56 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by sxc
Great result! Be aware that regional premium economy doesn't offer anything above economy when it comes to catering/service but please enjoy the space. And with any luck, maybe you'll get pushed up to long haul J!
Hi sxc

Thought that was a fantastic deal. Ł40 and a bit of comfort. Being tall I don' t overly bother about the catering etc. It is the extra space I enjoy more. It should be a good trip. I am flying out to HK tonight on BA on the A380 in Club World after upgrading my WTP seat using Avios, then a nice rest overnight in HK before my PEY flight to SUB so should be well rested before I see my better half whom I haven't seen in 7 months. And the last time I flew to SUB they had substituted the aircraft to one that had PEY and they assigned me a seat in that section but when it came to boarding I got the magic beep and sat in J. So here's hoping

Safe & happy travels

S
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:01 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Holy cow, what a steal! This actually makes good sense. If an airline knows it will have to op-up X number of people, why not send out announcements that if anyone is willing to pay rather than giving it away for free?
Giving up incremental revenue to earn pax goodwill/loyalty? But CX isn't into that (at least not anymore, as demonstrated by selling GOs)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
It's not so clear-cut, which is why CX has only slowly been starting to experiment with this. The problem is that once pax are accustomed to the possibility of cheaper cash upgrades being available, it can change their willingness to buy the higher premium fares outright. Reading the BA board on FT, it looks like BA has done a good job conditioning flyers to assume that cheaper upgrades will be available much of the time, especially on shorthaul routes, or from economy to premium economy longhaul.

I'm sure that works for BA (and UA and others that do this) because they keep it up, but it might not be the best model for CX. We have no idea how things like different cost bases, pricing strategies or number of seats in each class affect the calculation, or whether some changes in CX's sales are driving their recent experiments in this direction. We also don't know whether they'll keep it up.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: CX, le club accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
I'm sure that works for BA (and UA and others that do this) because they keep it up, but it might not be the best model for CX. We have no idea how things like different cost bases, pricing strategies or number of seats in each class affect the calculation, or whether some changes in CX's sales are driving their recent experiments in this direction. We also don't know whether they'll keep it up.
Just a guess, but I think paid upgrades may be offered because those seats aren't being sold otherwise, so it's a ploy to get bums into seats, better than empty. They could sift through customers and pick those that may be a little more likely to pay for an upgrade, and contact is proactive so CX gets to learn customer behavior, and it's probably considered better since it's not "stooping" as low as offering upgrades at check-in (like say TG).

On my usual routing to BKK, PEY is just $100US cheaper than J, and CX PEY costs the same as TG J. If you ask me, of course I'm not gonna pay that much for PEY, and CX may have a lot of empty PEY seats they need to rescue some lost revenue from, hence the upgrade offers. Maybe CX thinks this is still a smaller loss than offering PEY to me at a lower fare, or there's a timing issue involved.

If certain flights have consistently showed an inability to fill PEY, then they could do what you said BA does, make the offers more permanent. CX would still benefit from less people being able to upgrade their way into J.

I wonder, but I wouldn't say outright, what it means when a small cash upgrade gets possibly a higher priority/easier availability than the same seat via award tix and upgrades. Thanks for reading my rant

Last edited by sl0uch; Nov 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.