Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking area at HKG Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if any of the Cathay lounges at HKIA have a smoking area?

Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:40 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by vcg111
Does anyone know if any of the Cathay lounges at HKIA have a smoking area?

Thanks
No. You have to use the public areas of which there are several but they are dreadfully ventilated and heavily used.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Beano HK
No. You have to use the public areas of which there are several but they are dreadfully ventilated and heavily used.
This is a good description.

I might add, they look like overcrowded, polluted zoo exhibits. Whether by accident or design, HKIA does not appear to be very friendly towards smokers. You can get your fix, but they look utterly uncomfortable. I would've used prison cell as a description but that isn't accurate because they're surrounded with windows so everyone walking on the outside can watch you.

Admittedly I'm not a smoker so I don't know how they rate, but they do look rather bad.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: Asia miles

There are a few smoking lounges in HKIA. I think gate 27 is the nearest to The Cabin, a CX lounge near gate 23.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:55 am

If you are a non-smoker you want to avoid those areas, because despite the signs that said "keep door closed" in both English and Chinese, the Chinese people smoking there will keep the door open, and end up stink it up the whole section. Last time I waited for boarding on a gate across from the smoking area I can smell the smoke odor, and I am amazed no one at HKIA is doing anything about it.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Sorry but I find this last post very hard to believe. The distance from gate to smoking area is far enough away. To be able to smell smoke from the gate would need a lot if smoke. Enough to trigger fire alarms & sprinklers.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mayodave
Sorry but I find this last post very hard to believe. The distance from gate to smoking area is far enough away. To be able to smell smoke from the gate would need a lot if smoke. Enough to trigger fire alarms & sprinklers.
its very easy to smell the smoke when you're on the moving walkways between gates. plus, everyone coming out of those rooms smell like smoke.

the bottom floor of the wing used to be a smoking area when it first opened. the pier, too, had a smoking area when it first opened.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by miki13331
its very easy to smell the smoke when you're on the moving walkways between gates. plus, everyone coming out of those rooms smell like smoke.

the bottom floor of the wing used to be a smoking area when it first opened. the pier, too, had a smoking area when it first opened.
Smell causes fire alarm now, this troll is trying very hard isn't he? The smoking room area is fumed with smoke all around, HKIA should enforce the closed door policy.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
I don't smoke, and I can smell the smoke from within the 20 meter radius. And yes, I am very sensitive to the smell of smoke. And that is just one smoker. If the door to the room that keeps 10+ smokers inside is open, then I can definitely smell it at the cross gate area.

So, I agree with what CB said. But could we just not call people troll that easily?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Well I was there yesterday and the room was totally packed and yes the door was open, 17 paces to the gate and no smell of smoke. As usually CB thinks he is the only one with an opinion. Surely a double door would solve the problem.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AmexCent
I don't smoke, and I can smell the smoke from within the 20 meter radius. And yes, I am very sensitive to the smell of smoke. And that is just one smoker. If the door to the room that keeps 10+ smokers inside is open, then I can definitely smell it at the cross gate area.

So, I agree with what CB said. But could we just not call people troll that easily?
v much agreed, especially when all the seats all full you may spill close to the stupid toxic rooms...

yes too, very bad design they should have double doors which only open when the other is shut, and to make those rooms as inaccessible as possible.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: QF WP
There are usually so many pax going in/out of the "zoo" that it would make no difference whether the door is kept closed or not. And basically, if you are going to get yourself into that room, you are definitely addicted.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
There are usually so many pax going in/out of the "zoo" that it would make no difference whether the door is kept closed or not. And basically, if you are going to get yourself into that room, you are definitely addicted.
Thats why having a bank style double door would be best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.