FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Extra Baggage on BA with MPC Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1474881-extra-baggage-ba-mpc-gold.html)

midlevels Jun 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Extra Baggage on BA with MPC Gold

According to the old BA baggage policy, MPC Gold (OW Sapphire) travelling in Y gets 1x23kg.

According to the new BA baggage policy, MPC Gold (OW Sapphire) travelling in Y gets 2x32kg (2 bags, plus waived overweight fees). This applies to all passengers on the booking (excluding group fares etc).

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...k/public/en_gb

I'm just wondering whether people who have been travelling recently have been receiving these benefits. I'm travelling on BA this summer and would like to plan. Specifically, I'd like to know for OW Sapphire:

1) Are they honouring 2 bags for Y pax without fuss?
2) Are they honouring 32kg per bag for Y pax without fuss?
3) Are they honouring this benefit for all pax (including no status) on same booking without fuss?

I've posted this in the CX forum rather than BA forum because I'm specifically looking for an answer from MPC pax rather than from BAEC/AAdvantage pax who have always had these benefits all along.

Thanks!

CXDM Jun 11, 2013 1:07 am

Originally Posted by midlevels (Post 20900099)
According to the old BA baggage policy, MPC Gold (OW Sapphire) travelling in Y gets 1x23kg.

According to the new BA baggage policy, MPC Gold (OW Sapphire) travelling in Y gets 2x32kg (2 bags, plus waived overweight fees). This applies to all passengers on the booking (excluding group fares etc).

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...k/public/en_gb

I'm just wondering whether people who have been travelling recently have been receiving these benefits. I'm travelling on BA this summer and would like to plan. Specifically, I'd like to know for OW Sapphire:

1) Are they honouring 2 bags for Y pax without fuss?
2) Are they honouring 32kg per bag for Y pax without fuss?
3) Are they honouring this benefit for all pax (including no status) on same booking without fuss?

I've posted this in the CX forum rather than BA forum because I'm specifically looking for an answer from MPC pax rather than from BAEC/AAdvantage pax who have always had these benefits all along.

Thanks!

I just flew on BA within Europe last week and checked in 2pcs of 29 and 28 kgs as a Y pax and had no issues (I am DM).

Therefore you should be ok as they do seem to be aware of the benefits.....

correctioncx Jun 11, 2013 1:20 am

BA is pretty sneaky in offering the luggage allowance. They will waive the heavy charge for emeralds - so you can carry upto 32kgs and 2 pieces. With the exception of the carrying fares ex LGW

correctioncx Jun 11, 2013 1:23 am

From BA.com

Information for frequent flyers
The following frequent flyer members can check, free of charge, an additional bag regardless of their class of travel (except hand baggage only fares). This applies to all customers travelling on the same booking (excluding special group rate bookings).
British Airways Executive Club Gold
oneworld Emerald
The following frequent flyer members can check in two bags in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater (except hand baggage only fares). This applies to all customers travelling on the same booking (excluding special group rate bookings).
British Airways Executive Club Silver
oneworld Sapphire
The following frequent flyer members can take the maximum weight of 32kg per bag without paying the heavy bag charge. This applies to all customers travelling on the same booking (excluding special group rate bookings).
British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver members
oneworld Emerald and Sapphire

Best to print out this as the CSO sometimes r not switched on and not aware of the rules.

CuiDawei Jun 11, 2013 1:25 am

Did this from Stockholm to London and had no problems - both bags over 23. But did if from Amsterdam a month later and the check-in lady (who was a b***h) told me I couldn't take any more than 23 and wanted me to pay XXXX in overweight charges. I brought out my iPad and showed her BA website with baggage policy and she read it, passed my back my iPad, didn't say anything, passed me my boarding pass and I walked off!

midlevels Jun 11, 2013 5:31 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx (Post 20901192)
BA is pretty sneaky in offering the luggage allowance. They will waive the heavy charge for emeralds - so you can carry upto 32kgs and 2 pieces. With the exception of the carrying fares ex LGW

Heavy charge should be waived for Sapphire as well, right?

CrazyJ82 Jun 11, 2013 6:34 am

Low-information posters on the CX board

correctioncx Jun 11, 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by midlevels (Post 20901779)
Heavy charge should be waived for Sapphire as well, right?

Yes it will be waived but make sure you have a print out to be safe because on the BP it does not state u are entitle to the heavy bag

clazza Sep 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Understand that mixed cabin gets most generous baggage allowance and that Oneworld Emerald gets additional bag plus all bags up to 32kg

For Manchester - LHR (economy) / BA connecting to HKG (premium economy) / BA, am I right in assuming that for both sectors, you would be allowed 3 x 32kg? If yes, do both flights have to be the same ticket / PNR?

midlevels Sep 11, 2013 2:34 am

Originally Posted by clazza (Post 21423497)
Understand that mixed cabin gets most generous baggage allowance and that Oneworld Emerald gets additional bag plus all bags up to 32kg

For Manchester - LHR (economy) / BA connecting to HKG (premium economy) / BA, am I right in assuming that for both sectors, you would be allowed 3 x 32kg? If yes, do both flights have to be the same ticket / PNR?

This is the wording from BA

Executive Club Gold and oneworld Emerald members

An additional free checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and special group rate bookings).
A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.

Executive Club Silver and oneworld Sapphire members

A minimum checked baggage allowance of two pieces in any class of travel for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and special group rate bookings).
A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.
It's not clear to me if the "additional free checked bag" for OWE is on top of the "minimum checked baggage allowance of two pieces in any class of travel" for OWS. If so you get 3x32 even if on separate tickets. If not, then it needs to be same ticket/PNR. Logic would say that the OWE entitlement is in addition to the OWS entitlement, but we all know airlines and logic don't necessarily have a happy marriage.

This may be a question that's better suited to the BA board, unless someone here has a ready answer.

mayodave Sep 11, 2013 4:14 am

BA baggage allowance flying in business class as an emerald is brilliant, its like being able to take half your house with you.

nux Sep 11, 2013 4:21 am

Important to note that recently BA updated its policy so that the extra weight allowance (32kg) only applies to the cardholder.

The additional baggage is for all members on the booking.

Originally Posted by midlevels (Post 21424423)
It's not clear to me if the "additional free checked bag" for OWE is on top of the "minimum checked baggage allowance of two pieces in any class of travel" for OWS. If so you get 3x32 even if on separate tickets. If not, then it needs to be same ticket/PNR. Logic would say that the OWE entitlement is in addition to the OWS entitlement, but we all know airlines and logic don't necessarily have a happy marriage.

This may be a question that's better suited to the BA board, unless someone here has a ready answer.

BA is simply stating the OWE allowance, you do not get an additional additional bag.
It is only where the normal allowance is 1 bag that both OWS and OWE have 2 bags.

Normal Allowance: 1 / 2 / 3
OWS: 2 / 2 / 3
OWE: 2 / 3 / 4

clazza Sep 11, 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 21424638)
Important to note that recently BA updated its policy so that the extra weight allowance (32kg) only applies to the cardholder.

The additional baggage is for all members on the booking.

BA is simply stating the OWE allowance, you do not get an additional additional bag.
It is only where the normal allowance is 1 bag that both OWS and OWE have 2 bags.

Normal Allowance: 1 / 2 / 3
OWS: 2 / 2 / 3
OWE: 2 / 3 / 4

That seems to make sense - I only looked at OWE. So I think I can only get 3 x 32kg if I'm on same PNR

clazza Sep 11, 2013 5:57 am

Originally Posted by mayodave (Post 21424619)
BA baggage allowance flying in business class as an emerald is brilliant, its like being able to take half your house with you.

Definitely, esp for shopping in UK. CX are missing a trick here - I asked them about it and the usual bland replies about being competitive / will review etc

nux Sep 11, 2013 6:13 am

Originally Posted by clazza (Post 21424908)
That seems to make sense - I only looked at OWE. So I think I can only get 3 x 32kg if I'm on same PNR

Yes, same PNR would give 3x32kg. Different PNR you would only get 2x32kg on the domestic booking.