Wiki Posts
Search

SIN lounge experience

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
SIN lounge experience

I am sitting in the Wing lounge in Hong Kong which is amazing but wanted to share the the Singapore lounge and boarding process was not what I was expecting at all.

I hadn't read in all the threads anything that came close to the experience I had tonight.

Check in was fine and quick. I then went to the lounge shared with multiple airlines (is there another lounge?) with little to eat and just a dingy feel with the lighting and furniture. It reminded me on the old SFO AA lounge.

Once my flight was called, I was surprised to be in 1 long line to then get in line for the xray machine. I had gone through the bag check when I first checked in.

The flight had an upgraded Business class which was much better than my HKG to SIN flight last week on the oldest plane possible with very creaky noises that heightened my stress during turbulence.

The flight itself was great with a very young crew who were very eager to help. I passed on the meal but had the brownie cake for dessert which was rich and moist.

I am waiting for my HKG-SFO leaving at 12:30 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Skyview - not just other airlines but those who of us who snag a Priority Pass one way or another http://www.prioritypass.com/Lounges/
Old May 21, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Poster

That makes total sense. I was expecting similar to Hong Kong and SFO
Old May 21, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
CX should switch to use the QF lounge (J) / BA lounge (F) as it seems much better then Skyview lounge at SIN.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by derek2010
CX should switch to use the QF lounge (J) / BA lounge (F) as it seems much better then Skyview lounge at SIN.
Bit o/t but not sure if you were discriminating between the new, separate QF lounge at SIN and the 'new' BA lounge - which used to be a combined BA/QF lounge.

The new QF lounge (combined for all travel classes) has had pretty much great reviews since it opened about a month or so ago - except for reports of crowding.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by RooFlyer
Bit o/t but not sure if you were discriminating between the new, separate QF lounge at SIN and the 'new' BA lounge - which used to be a combined BA/QF lounge.

The new QF lounge (combined for all travel classes) has had pretty much great reviews since it opened about a month or so ago - except for reports of crowding.
Definitely both of these are superior to the Skyview lounge, and you are allowed to use them as a oneworld elite. It is a slightly longer walk to D where the CX flights typically depart, but most definitely worth it in every way--better food, better seating, nicer staff. I'm trying to remember which one I ended up in last time (after the split, I can't remember if BA is on the right, QF on the left, or v/v), but there were salads, hot meals, drinks, etc on offer. And despite the fact that they were closing in 15 minutes, staff went out of their way to ensure I got my fill before they packed up the buffet.
Skyview lounge is kind of an embarassment.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:29 am

Have to agree - was very surprised CX would put their name to such a place on a key route like Singapore.

I don't really get the reputation Changi has at all really.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by phol
Have to agree - was very surprised CX would put their name to such a place on a key route like Singapore.

I don't really get the reputation Changi has at all really.
Went to Changi once. It's nice, but nothing special. Don't know why they are voted one of the top airport year after year. Much better airports around the world than Changi.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
As someone who is based there, OW is now really poorly served with no first class lounge at all after the demise of the QF/BA one and the new Qantas lounge not open in the morning when most of my flights take place. The BA lounge was quiet and reasonably comfortable on Monday evening as I waited for my BA flight to London although the offerings have been heavily downgraded from when it used to be a First lounge.
Air Asia "elites" can also use the Skyview.
CX should really try harder.
Agree also that the gate set up at Changi is very annoying with no real priority lines as everyone has to go through the same X-ray procedure.
There was some criticism a few years back after the no liquids rule came in but they never seemed to consider to change to Hong Kong/Bangkok...even London style of security screening.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
Agree also that the gate set up at Changi is very annoying with no real priority lines as everyone has to go through the same X-ray procedure.
There was some criticism a few years back after the no liquids rule came in but they never seemed to consider to change to Hong Kong/Bangkok...even London style of security screening.
My bad for not looking into it more, made a huge assumption so got to the airport very early to enjoy lunch in the loung.

The line was odd and they took the water bottle I had grabbed from the lounge. Also, it was odd that they are selling booze in duty free so am not sure what happens when you walk through. Not everyone had their bag inspected.

Luckily I got to spend 2 hours in the Wing lounge.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Does CX not set up its own priority lane at the gate for security screening? I know at KUL, which also has security screening at each gate, they do sometimes for J/MPC, but it can be hit or miss.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
Does CX not set up its own priority lane at the gate for security screening? I know at KUL, which also has security screening at each gate, they do sometimes for J/MPC, but it can be hit or miss.
They didn't last night. We were all in one line. It wasn't that it was so bad, but I think most people (including myself) holding a Business and First ticket were looking for another line. There was more security there than when I checked in the first time. I would rather have had a lengthy check in up front and be all set.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:55 am

As someone who is based there, OW is now really poorly served with no first class lounge at all after the demise of the QF/BA one and the new Qantas lounge not open in the morning when most of my flights take place. The BA lounge was quiet and reasonably comfortable on Monday evening as I waited for my BA flight to London although the offerings have been heavily downgraded from when it used to be a First lounge.
Air Asia "elites" can also use the Skyview.
CX should really try harder.
BA are the only oneworld flights with a consistent first class now, so there might be little need for a separate first class lounge. What has been downgraded in the BA lounge? the food and beverage options look similar to when it was a separate first class lounge.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Went to Changi once. It's nice, but nothing special. Don't know why they are voted one of the top airport year after year. Much better airports around the world than Changi.
which airports are better than changi?
Old May 23, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by spaige
They didn't last night. We were all in one line. It wasn't that it was so bad, but I think most people (including myself) holding a Business and First ticket were looking for another line. There was more security there than when I checked in the first time. I would rather have had a lengthy check in up front and be all set.
+1 but let me rephrase: a short check-in and security and be set. It also really annoys me at SIN, but Noticed that some other world airports move away from the gate security, like IST.
To the OP, SIN is a SQ-ruled airport, not really OW heavy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.