Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

PEY double miles promo, upgrades allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS

I'm registered for the CX PEY double Asia Miles promo.

I would like to buy an R fare, and upgrade with miles to J. Does anyone know if I still get the double miles if I upgrade out of PEY and actually fly in J? Or do you actually have to fly the PEY miles BIS to get the bonus?

Thanks,

RJ
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Can't speak to this from direct experience. But I did get the double miles after being op-upped to J, and I find it hard to believe the policy would be any less generous if you pay for the upgrade with miles. Unless I got very lucky.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by RevJim
I'm registered for the CX PEY double Asia Miles promo.

I would like to buy an R fare, and upgrade with miles to J. Does anyone know if I still get the double miles if I upgrade out of PEY and actually fly in J? Or do you actually have to fly the PEY miles BIS to get the bonus?

Thanks,

RJ
Hi, I am able to respond with direct experience.

If you are offered an upgrade without any request from your side, then you will get to keep the double miles.

If you request an upgrade and pay for it using miles (e.g., 20,000 miles for Y+ to J upgrade on HKG - LAX leg), then you will get zero miles from that flight.

Both scenarios occurred to me recently and it is my belief that this is their policy with regards to the mileage accumulation. Hope it helps.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by barkbark
If you request an upgrade and pay for it using miles (e.g., 20,000 miles for Y+ to J upgrade on HKG - LAX leg), then you will get zero miles from that flight.
That's very not true.

Both scenarios occurred to me recently and it is my belief that this is their policy with regards to the mileage accumulation. Hope it helps.
Your case is probably just missing mileage/glitch as with OP in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...igibility.html
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold

If you are offered an upgrade without any request from your side, then you will get to keep the double miles.

Mileage upgrade = zero miles is just wrong. If you didn't get any miles you should call MPC and claim for it instead of giving wrong advice to others.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

This is a computer bug, and if you call in you should at least get the base miles for the PEY ticket you paid for. There have been other reports of miles not posting automatically, but you do earn miles.

That still doesn't fully answer the bonus miles question from OP, but I suspect in this scenario the bonus will also apply.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
That still doesn't fully answer the bonus miles question from OP, but I suspect in this scenario the bonus will also apply.
It doesn't but it would be interesting to hear what happens after barkbark calls in.

Barkbark: thanks for chiming in, you should call MPC and ask them to credit your miles (as discussed in the other thread about the computer bug). Please post back here and let me know whether you get regular miles or double miles.

Oh and welcome to FT.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: CX Diamond
I have direct experience in this matter. I booked R class LAX-HKG RT travelling in Jan 2013, called MPC and asked for upgrade using AM, was given RT upgrade at a cost of 30,000 AM. After my flights, a total of 7,973*4=31,892 AM were credited to my account for a net gain of 1,892 AM. What a bargain!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by midlevels
Mileage upgrade = zero miles is just wrong. If you didn't get any miles you should call MPC and claim for it instead of giving wrong advice to others.
How very testy of you. Tsk tsk. I was not intentionally or recklessly giving wrong advice to others as I can't say I am an expert on how mileage accumulation works. I was simply answering OP's question based on direct experience.

To all other posters: thank you for alerting me to the fact that I may be entitled to more miles than what was posted on my account. I will give MPC a call soon.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:56 am

I may sound testy but there is another active thread on the first page of this forum discussing exactly how to get missing miles for upgrades posted so it would have been better to have a look at some of the other active threads before stating that the policy for upgrades is to get no miles.

Anyway I hope both you and the OP get your miles credited.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Anyway I hope both you and the OP get your miles credited.
I'm not missing any miles. I have a trip that I can book either before or after the end of the double miles promo, and I'm trying to decide which one works better. If upgrading breaks my double miles, then I can take the trip any time. But if I can upgrade to J and still get the double miles, I should do it while I can.

Sounds like sooner is better.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
you do still get double miles on the ticket you bought. I did.

BUT I had to call to get them credited.
I think this is more to do with the fact that the system fails to cope well with upgrades than specific to the double miles promo.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:41 pm

These days between codeshare issues and promos that don't work I am literally pulling my hair out trying to get miles credited correctly.

Recent sectors booked in PEY R-class upgraded to J, have posted single miles as normal Y (not PEY).

This is so crazy I don't have words. How can CX IT be this screwed up?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
These days between codeshare issues and promos that don't work I am literally pulling my hair out trying to get miles credited correctly.

Recent sectors booked in PEY R-class upgraded to J, have posted single miles as normal Y (not PEY).

This is so crazy I don't have words. How can CX IT be this screwed up?
I had the exact same thing happened on me in Jan HKG-YYZ. R class mileage upgraded to J, and got credited with Y class miles. Called in MPC and they corrected the mileage credits to PEY with the double miles promo applied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.