Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of new F wing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:32 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Made my first visit a few days ago before catching an 0850 flight. Lounge was quickly filling. Breakfast buffet very unremarkable. Is there an ala carte breakfast menu? If so, one was not offered. As before, you can order eggs cooked to order but also as before - at least for me - no one proactively offers this option.

I do like the couple of desks where you can use your laptop. I absolutely do not like those horrible shell chairs with the small table. Useless - at least for me.
Breakfast in The Haven.

I asked twice if there was a menu. Told no. You'd have thought they would have offered eggs to order It was obvious (after asking twice) that I wanted something other than what was on the buffet!

Buffet was fine, service was "cold" at best. Boderline, grudging/rude.

Disappointed.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoY

Buffet was fine, service was "cold" at best. Boderline, grudging/rude.

Disappointed.
Are they Peninsula crew now masquerading as CX staff? If yes, then I would understand....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
or am i the only one who is getting bored with the same food each time i visit? i'll be there again this Saturday afternoon ....
You could always visit one of the other 5 lounges CX offers at HKIA.
While they might not be all "F lounges"....hey, you can enjoy a different variety of food.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:06 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Are they Peninsula crew now masquerading as CX staff? If yes, then I would understand....
Well the guy that asked me about coffee etc., after I was seated, had a Peninsula uniform. He was the one who "dealt" with the menu request. The others were in regular wait staff clothing IIRC. Back there again tomorrow for lunch. That should be interesting.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:23 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by NoY
Breakfast in The Haven.

I asked twice if there was a menu. Told no. ....
There has never been a menu, but food cooked to order has always been available as long as they have the ingredients and the time (and maybe if they know you). Haven't been since the F Wing re-opened, would be sad if this unofficial benefit is now gone (the dining room has doubled in size and the kitchen is presumably no bigger than before).
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by number_6
There has never been a menu, but food cooked to order has always been available as long as they have the ingredients and the time (and maybe if they know you). Haven't been since the F Wing re-opened, would be sad if this unofficial benefit is now gone (the dining room has doubled in size and the kitchen is presumably no bigger than before).
Always had the option to ask for custom orders anytime of the day. I always enjoy a good scrabble eggs order from them.

Sounds like CX has outsourced lounge staff to Peninsula. It does explain the frequency of "cold faces" I see from F lounge staff....
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:54 am
NoY

Always had the option to ask for custom orders anytime of the day. I always enjoy a good scrabble eggs order from them.

Sounds like CX has outsourced lounge staff to Peninsula. It does explain the frequency of "cold faces" I see from F lounge staff....
Interesting. The scrambled eggs were in a heated dish on the buffet during my visit.

All other CX staff in lounge - hosts, ticketing staff etc. were excellent. Just the wait staff who were "cold".
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Actually it was always peninsula staff working in the F lounge (Bar, waiter/waitress/ the Haven).

I actually don't think Peninsula is that refined when compared to the MO or FS.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:16 am
NoY

Originally Posted by NoY
Well the guy that asked me about coffee etc., after I was seated, had a Peninsula uniform. He was the one who "dealt" with the menu request. The others were in regular wait staff clothing IIRC. Back there again tomorrow for lunch. That should be interesting.
OK, I had lunch in the Haven today. Excellent. The staff were much more attentive (& smiled too). Very nice dim sun/assorted starters & then I ordered the beef fillet from the menu (was not offered the menu - asked for it though!) & it was cooked to perfection - medium rare, as ordered. Indulged in some NY cheesecake. Washed down with some Moet pink & an espresso. Marvellous. sat in the champagne bar & was pro-actively offered drinks. The world is once again as it should be

BTW this is also balanced against the very mediocre JAL Sakura lounge at NRT which I visited this a.m. for "breakfast" - boy that was basic. Made me realise how good the Wing really is
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by NoY

BTW this is also balanced against the very mediocre JAL Sakura lounge at NRT which I visited this a.m. for "breakfast" - boy that was basic. Made me realise how good the Wing really is
Everytime I use the CX lounge I try to imagine myself I would be using the Admiral's Club back home and all is good again....
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
LOL and no need to tip
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by NoY
I find JAL First Class lounge quite nice. And their selection of liquors is better than at the Wing F lounge.
Of course, American-type breakfast is not a big Japanese thing.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I find JAL First Class lounge quite nice. And their selection of liquors is better than at the Wing F lounge.
The best thing for JL are the Jap curry!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:20 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by brunos
I just found it very ordinary & the food selection very J class. For an F lounge I expected better. 8 am was a bit too early to explore the spirits!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:22 pm
NoY

Everytime I use the CX lounge I try to imagine myself I would be using the Admiral's Club back home and all is good again....
Indeed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.