Review of new F wing

Old Feb 17, 13, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I liked the red seats, the black loos, the new showers, etc.

The wine and liquor offerings were pathetic. chivas 12 for scotch. Champagne bar not open until 11:30. Food offerings weak.

However, I didn't have any problems with service - got the ala carte menu right when asked.

Still can't get over the poor wine list - bourgogne, not even village. Village Chablis by Louis Michel is probably the best wine. They did have Moet Rose, which was decent (but no Billecart Salmon).
Old Feb 17, 13, 1:58 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
The wine and liquor offerings were pathetic. chivas 12 for scotch. Champagne bar not open until 11:30. Food offerings weak.

However, I didn't have any problems with service - got the ala carte menu right when asked.

Still can't get over the poor wine list - bourgogne, not even village. Village Chablis by Louis Michel is probably the best wine. They did have Moet Rose, which was decent (but no Billecart Salmon).
Interesting, I didn't try the wine but the booze on the shelf at the bar did seem rather average. Bummer to hear about the wine selection. Wine is a weakness of CX.

Although not a mind-blowing upgrade, I (thought I) noticed an upgrade in food quality (buffet only, didn't try a la carte). Dim sum seems better than The Cabin and Wing J. When I visited Wing F the siu mai with roe on top was bigger, more plump and tastier than the J version. Closer to what I'm used to in a local HK restaurant, versus the J side and The Cabin which is quality you'd expect from an airport lounge. I actually went back for seconds. They had a tasty Thai pork salad which I also enjoyed. And they were doing an attempt at Hainan Chicken, accompanied by the proper ginger, chili and thick soy sauce. Maybe I was a sucker for the new presentation, nicer serving displays, etc. my first time. But for now the food quality seems a bit better than before, and I like how when I visited the lounge there was a greater focus on Asian options. I think CX does a much better job at Asian food than they do western food, particularly in their premium classes and I hope they can reflect that in the lounges.

For CX to "win" with the new F Wing, if it even matters to them, then they'll have to do it on the soft product. Which is food, drink and service. I don't think I'm convinced yet either way, will have to get in the swing of using this new lounge and see how it plays out over the long run.
Old Feb 17, 13, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx View Post
There's always hope the next upgrade will be the pier F
yea, it seems like that'd be a natural follow-up for them, especially with this new "Bridge" lounge coming online in the fall. I wonder if they'll split The Pier renovation into two parts like they did The Wing, one at a time. If I recall correctly, CX approximately timed The Cabin's opening to when they first shut down The Wing J for renovation. Maybe that's their game plan?
Old Feb 17, 13, 2:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Well at least the wing f is open so it offers more flexibility than before
Old Feb 17, 13, 5:23 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
Dim sum seems better than The Cabin and Wing J. When I visited Wing F the siu mai with roe on top was bigger, more plump and tastier than the J version. Closer to what I'm used to in a local HK restaurant, versus the J side and The Cabin which is quality you'd expect from an airport lounge.
Comparing the J dim sum to anything else is an insult to the "anything else". Although the J dumplings are tasty, they are tasty in the way that fish & chips from the chippy are tasty. They should only be compared to supermarket dim sum which they are an upgraded version of
Old Feb 17, 13, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, CI, NH, JL, BA, SPG, Ritz, Amex Plat
Really enjoyed the Cabana today. Like the different modes of shower they provide.
Old Feb 20, 13, 5:09 pm

Someone posted a bunch of pictures of CX Wing F on his personal website. I have to say, the cabanas looked awesome, definitely a place I will use regularly when I'm in F lounge.

However, the "Haven", it looks like a school cafeteria. Also, the tables and chairs seem to be very close to one another. For those of you that have used it already, is it the bad angles of the pictures or is it really like that? That is very underwhelming. Metal chairs? Metal tables? Come on CX....

As for the lounge sofas and chairs, again, ok, not bad, but not what CX members expect.
Old Feb 20, 13, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
However, the "Haven", it looks like a school cafeteria. Also, the tables and chairs seem to be very close to one another. For those of you that have used it already, is it the bad angles of the pictures or is it really like that? That is very underwhelming. Metal chairs? Metal tables? Come on CX....
The Haven may take some getting used to. My first encounter I thought "wow they've crammed a lot of tables in." But now having used it, I think it's an upgrade over the past. Most important is that it has about 50-100% more seating. There are tables in the middle main floor, and then two side areas with cushioned bench seating. Those cushioned benches (like a booth in a restaurant) naturally seem to make it a little more inviting to sit and enjoy yourself for a while.
Old Feb 20, 13, 7:31 pm

the chairs are wood, not as nice as the hans wegner 'The Chair' that were there before but hardly school cafeteria grade.

which school did you go to that had a cafeteria with marble walls and floors?
Old Feb 20, 13, 7:46 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G, Marriott PLT LIFE, SPG LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by miki13331 View Post
the chairs are wood, not as nice as the hans wegner 'The Chair' that were there before but hardly school cafeteria grade.

which school did you go to that had a cafeteria with marble walls and floors?
I went to the most prestigeous boarding school in Australia and our canteen was no where as luxurious as The Wing First Class "The Haven".

I don't take any comments on FT very serious these days. People here just complain for no reason. If you are not happy with life, then go elsewhere.
Old Feb 20, 13, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
Wow, what a tough crowd to please. I guess the beauty of a forum is that everyone gets to have their say and if you don’t like what’s being said then you don’t have to read it. Just like a real life conversation. If you don’t like what you’re hearing then you can just walk away. Personally I think the new Wing F Class Lounge is fantastic. But then I’ve always thought that The Pier F Class Lounge and The Cabin are excellent. I also think the QF F Lounges in Melbourne in Sydney are superb. And I had two visits each to the LHR BA Concorde Room and the T5 Galleries First Lounge last week and thought they were both pretty special. And the JL F Lounges at NRT and HND are always good for a glass of pop and a curry. They’re all Airline Lounges that provide a nice place to wait for your flight, delivering generally good service, food and beverages and allowing you to get some work done away from the throng. Maybe I’m just easy to please. Could CX improve their winelist? Sure, however I wouldn’t call it “poor”. And my school canteen bore absolutely no resemblance to The Haven. Except that it served food and people sat at tables.
Old Feb 20, 13, 11:22 pm

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
Add Content
Old Feb 21, 13, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by frankyguy View Post
Wow, what a tough crowd to please. I guess the beauty of a forum is that everyone gets to have their say and if you don’t like what’s being said then you don’t have to read it. Just like a real life conversation. If you don’t like what you’re hearing then you can just walk away. Personally I think the new Wing F Class Lounge is fantastic. But then I’ve always thought that The Pier F Class Lounge and The Cabin are excellent. I also think the QF F Lounges in Melbourne in Sydney are superb. And I had two visits each to the LHR BA Concorde Room and the T5 Galleries First Lounge last week and thought they were both pretty special. And the JL F Lounges at NRT and HND are always good for a glass of pop and a curry. They’re all Airline Lounges that provide a nice place to wait for your flight, delivering generally good service, food and beverages and allowing you to get some work done away from the throng. Maybe I’m just easy to please. Could CX improve their winelist? Sure, however I wouldn’t call it “poor”. And my school canteen bore absolutely no resemblance to The Haven. Except that it served food and people sat at tables.
yeah compared to other forums this forum has the highest amount of "Bash the airline" thread- maybe CX customers are hard to please and this makes CX one of the best!
Old Feb 21, 13, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Kachjc View Post
yeah compared to other forums this forum has the highest amount of "Bash the airline" thread- maybe CX customers are hard to please and this makes CX one of the best!
I don't read other forums that much, so can't comment. But I also don't understand this mentality that one must always say good things, ignore questions, to be a "real" customer. Maybe this is an East Asian mentality: if you have something critical to say than people take it personal, can't separate business and personal, honest question and bashing.

In specifically my case, it's a curious question based on the pictures I saw online. Hence, I asked here for people who have actually been there their opinions. From the looked of it, it looked like the chairs and tables are tightly arranged, hence, the cafeteria comment when the school tries to squeeze in as much table and chairs as possible. From the pictures, the chairs and tables looked metal, glad they are not.

Some of you need to really stop taking things personal. We all love CX here, that's why we are all willing to pay their premium prices to fly them. But loving CX doesn't mean we can't ask questions about CX. I realized in the East Asian culture people too often equate questions asked to "Bashing", especially if it's against someone or an institution we love in our hearts. But please read each thread carefully before you bash people about being "haters" and telling them to leave, and give the benefit of the doubt to the posters that they might just be curious and speak more directly, rather than trying to stir up hatred of CX here.
Old Feb 21, 13, 7:36 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G, Marriott PLT LIFE, SPG LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
I don't read other forums that much, so can't comment. But I also don't understand this mentality that one must always say good things, ignore questions, to be a "real" customer. Maybe this is an East Asian mentality: if you have something critical to say than people take it personal, can't separate business and personal, honest question and bashing.

In specifically my case, it's a curious question based on the pictures I saw online. Hence, I asked here for people who have actually been there their opinions. From the looked of it, it looked like the chairs and tables are tightly arranged, hence, the cafeteria comment when the school tries to squeeze in as much table and chairs as possible. From the pictures, the chairs and tables looked metal, glad they are not.

Some of you need to really stop taking things personal. We all love CX here, that's why we are all willing to pay their premium prices to fly them. But loving CX doesn't mean we can't ask questions about CX. I realized in the East Asian culture people too often equate questions asked to "Bashing", especially if it's against someone or an institution we love in our hearts. But please read each thread carefully before you bash people about being "haters" and telling them to leave, and give the benefit of the doubt to the posters that they might just be curious and speak more directly, rather than trying to stir up hatred of CX here.
I've just experiences Malaysia Airlines flagship First Class lounge at Kuala Lumpur (using my CX Diamond - oneworld Emerald status), and my conclusion is that its a crappy lounge with crappy food and wine offering.

For white wine, they brought our Jacob's Creek - a cheap nasty wine for First Class - no thanks!

After this experience, who would not want to experience CX - both in the air and the ground.

I love flying CX and I will pay a premium to fly them where possible.

Search this Thread