Wiki Posts
Search

Review of new F wing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Thanks for the pics flyerfly! Especially some of the closer shots of food offered.

How did the "Country Pot" taste to you?
Looks like something that could be had from Cafe De Coral for ~HKD50-60.

Would be interested to see pictures of other la carte offerings if anyone is visiting the Wing soon
The quality of ingridients is much better than the cafe de coral but a bit too salty and overcooked

The steak was really good cooked exactly mediim
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerfly
I had the chance to visit the new F lounge @ the Wing the day after its official opening … on the way to KL for CNY …

I really like the homey feeling of this place

Count yourself lucky that you have the benefit of living in KL where the houses/flats are so large that what you consider to be a "homey" living room would in fact be the size of an entire bar in Hong Kong!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I used the lounge this past week:

1. Met at the lobby scanned my boarding pass but not offered any champagne. I was under the impression the new Champagne bar was to offer you a drink (IE not self service)

2. Red seats are hard and not comfortable. White seats are fine and the power plug in on the floor. Red couches were OK but still very hard.

3. Food was like a business class lounge. Nothing said F in my opinion. The staff would not replenish the food and often many items were empty. You could dine in or grab a plate and move back to the main area of the lounge.

4. Service was for the most part no good. I ended up serving myself which is fine. However, what is Cathay trying for here? A
true F experience or C lounge?

5. Cabana's home run here very nice A++

6. WIFI worked good no issues.

7. Still no F line from check in to customs. I don't understand why CX simply can't work with the airport to get one like SQ or TG.

Overall it's a nice lounge but worthy of F not IMHO.

Last edited by mach92; Feb 14, 2013 at 4:11 am
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I remember posting that CX could not do much within the same limited space. Some posters responded that I should wait and that I will be very impressed.
I did wait and finally tried it, and I fail to be impressed. Refurbished and nicer? Definitely. A quantum leap in improvement to surpass many other F lounges? Definitely not. And seats are very uncomfortable, good for pictures but hard and bad for back.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I deleted a few posts containing unnecessary comments, and also posts replying to these posts. Please stay on topic. Members can have negative views but please be discreet in choice of words.

cxfan1960
CX Mod
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Good pics...thanks. My thoughts...

Like the HKIA when it first opened in 1998, give them some time to work out the kinks. it's literally only been open for a few days..

I assume the staff are a combination of new hires and some who were brought over from the J lounge...so give them some time to get used to the new surroundings.

The biggest issue with the F-wing is the space the have to work with. it's simply not as big as BA galleries, concorde, etc.

I found that the Haven was nice, a little "cold" with all the glass and marble/tile but overall a nicer, larger space than previously.

I like the cocoon-style seating like they have in the cabin...its comfortable and functional.

I was there the Saturday before CNY so of course it was packed and service was spotty, but I am sure CX will solve that shortly. I never had much of a complaint in the old F-wing so I have no reason to doubt this will be a great experience after the bugs are worked out.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Beef from the menu

Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:30 am
Suspended

Thanks for the pics redslert!

Your username reminds me of the game Red Alert back in the days....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:11 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
My two cents' worth:

Pros:
- at long last it's open again... no more trekking over to the Pier F or making do with the Wing J / Cabin.
- a larger dining area should hopefully reduce peak time queues.

Cons:
- sub-standard service: had to ask for a la carte menu, and when an order was made it never arrived; when questioned about this, the staff seemed nonplussed. Hopefully all this is just temporary as the team gels into place, though one would expect with the Peninsula that it should be smooth and professional right from day one.
- black loo seats: maybe just me, but they look unhygienic.
- overall look-and-feel: the place had been closed for such a long time that my expectations were very high. Sure, it's nice, but certainly nothing wow like a Qantas Sydney F.

Can anyone who has been at night please comment on the lighting? It looks fine during the daytime, but I'm wondering with all the black marble and dark furniture whether it has a colder, darker feel without the benefit of the sunlight flooding in through the windows...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
I am uninspired I have to say, given all the hype. The lighting in the evenings is very harsh in my view to answer the question above.

Re the champagne I have seen four types so far, Moet Rose, Moet, Peninsula own label, and Billecart Salmon. I guess it is an improvement on the choice of one type beforehand. Food choice is better, no doubt, but I didn't try the a la carte yet.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:00 pm

The only way CX will change is enough people write to CX about the negative experiences they have. I think the speed of food is just based on experience. CX probably didn't realized so many pax wanted to really chow down at the lounges. As time go by I think they will work on that issue to ensure a good timely delivery of buffet food. Also, they might just be overwhelmed by the new menu option as well. If there's limited amount of kitchen staff, and they are constantly distracted to make custom orders, that will affect the delivery of buffet food.

As for services, just like on the plane they are really hit and miss as well. There's one lady that serves in the F lounge section of Wing that when I see her I know I'm not going to get any friendly services. She's not horrible of course, but just cold and act indifferent towards you. Haven't really experience "Bad services" at F section, but can't say I'm surprise if that happens.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I'm glad there was an attendant in the bathroom, because it was so dark in there I couldn't see where to exit.

Also, despite some signs, I couldn't see how to get to the business class part of the lounge.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Conkers
I am uninspired I have to say, given all the hype. The lighting in the evenings is very harsh in my view to answer the question above.

Re the champagne I have seen four types so far, Moet Rose, Moet, Peninsula own label, and Billecart Salmon. I guess it is an improvement on the choice of one type beforehand. Food choice is better, no doubt, but I didn't try the a la carte yet.
Agree completely with your sentiments. "Uninspired" (given all the hype), but I thought the food quality is very much improved and I think they did a nice job with the champagne area. I cannot realistically be expecting Krug in the F lounge given the floods of pax allowed in, and as long as they keep it mixed up I'd be happy.

That said, there are better F lounges in other cities.

I guess CX just didn't have enough space in Wing area. Kinda makes sense, that podium is so skinny and probably doesn't give them too many design options. I wonder what the square footage is compared to, say Galleries F in LHR.

Overall I think it's a good upgrade, but not mind-blowing.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kevino
Also, despite some signs, I couldn't see how to get to the business class part of the lounge.
At the south part of the lounge past the Haven, you will see an entrance to the J Wing. Specifically, the part of the J Wing which CX previously roped off as the temporary "F" section.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

There's always hope the next upgrade will be the pier F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.