Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of new F wing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
The toilet is broken in cabana 1 at present (like that before I used the cabana) so probably wise to avoid that one for the time being (or altogether judging by its apparent run of problems).

Sure I read a recent trip report about the stones at the back being accessible. Am I misreading something as there were glass panes preventing access when I was checking things out earlier?

Also, both printers connected to the 3 iMacs are broke.

Mince pies in the business side are lovely. The one thing I'm missing about being out of the UK.

Last edited by xenole; Dec 22, 2013 at 2:27 am
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:42 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by xenole
The toilet is broken in cabana 1 at present (like that before I used the cabana) so probably wise to avoid that one for the time being (or altogether judging by its apparent run of problems).

Sure I read a recent trip report about the stones at the back being accessible. Am I misreading something as there were glass panes preventing access when I was checking things out earlier?

Also, both printers connected to the 3 iMacs are broke.

Mince pies in the business side are lovely. The one thing I'm missing about being out of the UK.

Love mince pies! None in the F side? Will be there next week..
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Not a lot really on the F side. Some Xmas cookies and chocolates on the bar. The better snack food is in the business section.

Did think the Haven restaurant would be a bit posher rather than a self service buffet (food ranging from bland to over sweet) and a choice of noodles, fish and a couple of other things on the menu. At least the OJ seemed squeezed, food was being restocked and the staff helpful / proactive.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:06 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Not a lot really on the F side. Some Xmas cookies and chocolates on the bar. The better snack food is in the business section.

Did think the Haven restaurant would be a bit posher rather than a self service buffet (food ranging from bland to over sweet) and a choice of noodles, fish and a couple of other things on the menu. At least the OJ seemed squeezed, food was being restocked and the staff helpful / proactive.
There is a menu to order from too….limited choice but high quality!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:33 am

I had dinner in The Haven for the first time tonight - big mistake.
The mistake being that I hadn't eaten there before now.
They had an interesting Xmas menu with turkey and trimmings, but I couldn't go past the roast beef and veg from the buffet - all done to perfection and as good as I've ever had.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The toilet is broken in cabana 1 at present (like that before I used the cabana) so probably wise to avoid that one for the time being (or altogether judging by its apparent run of problems)....
Still?! It was out of service on December 14 when I was assigned Cabana 1. Unless it's a major plumbing problem it's unacceptable that it's not fixed by now.

I would have asked for a different cabana, but there was a waiting list, and time was getting tight.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:35 am

My local Chinese Buffet serves better food than Wing F lounge today

On the a la carte menu:

1) Roast Chicken Spring rolls

2) Minced Pork noodle Taiwanese Style

3) Seared Salmon

4) Seafood Fried Rice (seriously?)

5) Cream of Mushroom noodles

On the Buffet:

1) Seared Ling Fish

2) Chicken in brown sauce

3) Chicken Sausage

4) Assorted Dimsum

5) Vegetable fried rice

6) Seasonal Vegetables

7) Vegetarian Spring rools

8) Hong Kong style Roast Pork

I have to say, this isn't the first time I'm really down on the offering. CX F Wing food quality is really going downhill...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: OW Emerald
CX is now shooting for par for the course rather than over and beyond in terms of F lounge competitiveness.

Not looking forward to June once the AA DFW-HKG flight starts up since there would be even more F and Emerald people inhabiting the Wing F lounge. Maybe CX is already gearing down the budget per F lounge visitor in preparation of that event?

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
On the a la carte menu:

3) Seared Salmon

On the Buffet:

1) Seared Ling Fish

3) Chicken Sausage

4) Assorted Dimsum

5) Vegetable fried rice

6) Seasonal Vegetables

I have to say, this isn't the first time I'm really down on the offering. CX F Wing food quality is really going downhill...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
You didnt mention the Congee ??? dont worry your DM status will be soon run out and then you will have to slum it in the Business class lounge. You didnt mention what you think is missing as based on other carriers F lounges this menu is light years ahead of what they offer

On the a la carte menu:

3) Seared Salmon

On the Buffet:

1) Seared Ling Fish

3) Chicken Sausage

4) Assorted Dimsum

5) Vegetable fried rice

6) Seasonal Vegetables

Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVP
Spent way more time than I care to admit in the Wing last month doing a SFO-JNB F trip. I don't get it, with the amount of F traffic running through HKG, why don't they have a strictly F lounge? The Haven was almost always a zoo and there was hardly any room the find a place to sit for two people in the main F lounge. There is zero sense of exclusivity here. There must be a lot of OW Emeralds in the F lounge, I saw mainly J BP's.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by SFore
Spent way more time than I care to admit in the Wing last month doing a SFO-JNB F trip. I don't get it, with the amount of F traffic running through HKG, why don't they have a strictly F lounge? The Haven was almost always a zoo and there was hardly any room the find a place to sit for two people in the main F lounge. There is zero sense of exclusivity here. There must be a lot of OW Emeralds in the F lounge, I saw mainly J BP's.
You hit the nail on the head and its being looked at right now for your information
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

On the a la carte menu:

3) Seared Salmon

On the Buffet:

1) Seared Ling Fish

3) Chicken Sausage

4) Assorted Dimsum

5) Vegetable fried rice

6) Seasonal Vegetables

But then you keep on going. So it either shows you have bad taste or what you wrote is not correct.

I was there only last week and the food definitely tasted fine and the quality is good.
The seafood fried rice proved quite popular and not some crappy US style Panda Express.

The cold salad bar is still one of the best quality out there with smoked salmon and some good quality cold meat + Chinese cold dish. The salad leaves continue to be fresh and crunchy.
There is always a roast available at night

The desserts are also good

A decent size cheese board.

Don't really know what are you complaining about? Maybe better stick to your congee.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SFore
CX F lounge seems to be the preferred F lounge for OW Emeralds. Hopefully the great reviews that QF gets will alleviate such traffic jam.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by correctioncx
But then you keep on going. So it either shows you have bad taste or what you wrote is not correct.

[...]

Don't really know what are you complaining about? Maybe better stick to your congee.
+1
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by dchen2
Not looking forward to June once the AA DFW-HKG flight starts up since there would be even more F and Emerald people inhabiting the Wing F lounge. Maybe CX is already gearing down the budget per F lounge visitor in preparation of that event?
On the contrary, as we know, CX is financially incentivised to encourage as many eligible passengers on other Oneworld (non-CX) flights as possible to head to the Wing F. Unless of course for some reason the Peninsula is not paid on a per person usage basis, and is thus out-of-pocket when more people use the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.