Wiki Posts
Search

CX HNG-MNL F or J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

CX HNG-MNL F or J

Have not been on CX for years but am going one way Hong Kong-Manila.I mostly travel F on Thai where available or J where not.I was wondering if it is worth paying more for F over J on this route.For the seats,service,food & drink.Also is it worth it for the lounge.I understand the best F CX lounge is closed ?I also understand if I go J or F I can guest one in which ever lounge ?

All & any info greatly wanted asap.

Cheers Rick.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

C'on folks 60 views.Someone must have & idea..........
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, AC Super Elite, DL Plat, NW Gold, CO Gold Elite, BA Gold, PR Elite,
The flight is 1 hour and 37 mins.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:53 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
CX HNG-MNL F or J

And CX is notorious for swapping aircraft so you may well end up in business seats.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Traveled this route two days ago in F, but as an extension from SFO. Was only myself in F. 744, with 2 FAs assigned.
It was wonderful, although oh so brief. Went to The Pier First Class lounge. Had a knee problem (could walk, but painful) and the two FAs could not be more concerned. Was given ice and painkiller, and maximum attention.
Three choices for main meal and current F wine promotion offered. Indulged a little even though was full from the SFO flight and the lounge. Tried the vegetarian pasta -- delicious, but couldn't finish. Wine was excellent, but could not have more than a glass as was in a bit of pain. (Didn't want too much alcohol + painkiller meds.)

So is it worth it? Perhaps not on its own -- the flight is just too short. I was basically reading two newspapers, eating that pasta dinner, plus a cup of tea and we were landing already! Had no time to check out the IFE at all. But loved the pampering and solitude etc. Oh and I particularly like the lavatory in the 744. Large-ish with two windows. Just mentioning... :-)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:35 am
Suspended

Well if u r used to TG f class then might as well go for it. Personally I will never pay for such short flight in F unless it is part of a long haul and it is opup.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Unless you place a very high premium on having Johnnie Walker Blue available during a 100 minute flight, I can't see how this is worth paying more than a very small premium, if that. Lounges aren't that big a deal at HKG IMO, given that it's not exactly a rubbish dump- it is a very nice airport. Can't see much of a value to being in an F lounge over a C lounge.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
As much as I love CX F (and no disrespect to fantastic CX J here), in planning my own HKG-MNL trip it has seemed to me that for such a short hop it's not much of a difference. Consistent with what's posted above, I've read that sometimes planes are swapped you could end up in J regardless.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
The fare difference is about $200 from J to F. If that amount of money is trivial to you, then go for it. Your experience on the ground and in the air will be better.

As others have pointed out, the actual flight time is quite short, with only about 1hr worth of serviceable time. The other thing to note is that not all flights to MNL have F. After January only the 7am and 10pm flights have F (usually). Even if $200 was trivial, I wouldn't go out of my way to fly F on this route if there were better flight times operated by 2-class aircraft.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, AC Super Elite, DL Plat, NW Gold, CO Gold Elite, BA Gold, PR Elite,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Unless you place a very high premium on having Johnnie Walker Blue available during a 100 minute flight, I can't see how this is worth paying more than a very small premium, if that. Lounges aren't that big a deal at HKG IMO, given that it's not exactly a rubbish dump- it is a very nice airport. Can't see much of a value to being in an F lounge over a C lounge.
I cant recall them cracking open the Blue Label on this route. But CX907 is too early to start drinking...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
The flight is too short to really enjoy F service at its best.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for all your feedback.

Is it worth not even going J then & just going Y ?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RICK69
Thanks for all your feedback.

Is it worth not even going J then & just going Y ?
J is worth it, purely not having anyone beside u if u are on the long haul aircraft. Even regional j is worth it for the space. Since u do j and f on tg most of the time it is same logic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.