Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - DPS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

HKG - DPS

Hi all,

I am a CX newbie but am taking my first flight at the end of March 2013 on the above route.

This is a reward Avios flight booked in Economy.

My wife is gold due to the UK AMEX Plat (im sorry!).

What can I expect? Are upgrades given? We are looking everyday for business seats but there dont seem to be any opening up.

Are we both entitled to the beneifts IE Lounges and checkins>?

I really want to try the arrivals and departure lounges.

We are flyING LHR-HKG in First on BA so assume that we will have lounge access anyway but usually the arrivals are for status holders only?

I have gone through the CX site and some stuff is still a little unclear. Are we both entitled to the higher baggage allowance. I am a humble green now!

PS my wifes expiry date is listed on the card as Apr 2013 I assume that this means the end of April? All our flights are end of March and begininng of April.
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Hi all,

I am a CX newbie but am taking my first flight at the end of March 2013 on the above route.

What can I expect? Are upgrades given? We are looking everyday for business seats but there dont seem to be any opening up.

We are flyING LHR-HKG in First on BA so assume that we will have lounge access anyway but usually the arrivals are for status holders only?

I have gone through the CX site and some stuff is still a little unclear. Are we both entitled to the higher baggage allowance. I am a humble green now!

PS my wifes expiry date is listed on the card as Apr 2013 I assume that this means the end of April? All our flights are end of March and begininng of April.
Thanks in advance.
I'll let others respond re lounges and such...my one piece of advice is to arrange VIP airport arrival service in DPS. The CX flight arrives at the peak of peak, you could be facing a few hrs of queues without this service. Usually $25 per person. Not necessary in departure. Google "Bali vip airport service" or something like that.

I also think you'll find J awards open up...keep checking every day. It solves the lounge and baggage issues. Oh, another thing - we typically go for three weeks at a time and just have laundry done there...so baggage allowance is irrelevant. Obviously if you are bringing scuba gear that's not practical. Just a thought.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
If your wife has CX GO, both of you can enter the departure lounge. The arrival lounge is only available in HKG per your itinerary. Your wife can access if you have a stopover or >4 hrs transit in HKG, but no guest. Unfortunately, flying BA in F does not entitle you to enter the CX F lounge on your arrival of your LHR-HKG flight, as HKG-DPS is neither domestic nor intra-Europe. I will suggest you to look over http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...X_COUNTRY=INTL and http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If your wife has CX GO, both of you can enter the departure lounge. The arrival lounge is only available in HKG per your itinerary. Your wife can access if you have a stopover or >4 hrs transit in HKG, but no guest. Unfortunately, flying BA in F does not entitle you to enter the CX F lounge on your arrival of your LHR-HKG flight, as HKG-DPS is neither domestic nor intra-Europe. I will suggest you to look over http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...X_COUNTRY=INTL and http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/
Thanks.

Yes the stopover is for more than 4 hours. It is a shame that they wont let a guest in. My Gold will have only recently expired as well!

Would it be worth a try?

I will look into the VIP service. $50 doesnt seem that much to reduce hassle.

In terms of award flights, does anyone roughly know when they open up? Does it make any difference if I am using BA Avios?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:42 am

Thanks.

Yes the stopover is for more than 4 hours. It is a shame that they wont let a guest in. My Gold will have only recently expired as well!

Would it be worth a try?

I will look into the VIP service. $50 doesnt seem that much to reduce hassle.

In terms of award flights, does anyone roughly know when they open up? Does it make any difference if I am using BA Avios?
I have found that Cathay Pacific becomes very generous with awards, including those to partners, within about seven days prior to departure. Awardnexus Is a pay service that you can subscribe to, that will check inventory once a day, if it is too much hassle for you to do so yourself. I am an avid user, though I have multiple searches for multiple awards going every day. If this is your only trip, You may prefer to do it your self, on British airways site.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Jamienbaker.

Just out of interest. D you think it would be worth going for Business on this route? Not too fussed about the luggage allowance and my wife's status should sort the lounges. I have heard a lot about the latest CX J product but am unsure as to which planes fly which routes.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:38 pm

Thanks Jamienbaker.

Just out of interest. D you think it would be worth going for Business on this route? Not too fussed about the luggage allowance and my wife's status should sort the lounges. I have heard a lot about the latest CX J product but am unsure as to which planes fly which routes.

Is that a trick question?

I've been blessed to have been to Bali several times, I truly love it. But not enough to even remotely consider going in Y. It is definitely worth the small increment of Avios points.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Is that a trick question?

I've been blessed to have been to Bali several times, I truly love it. But not enough to even remotely consider going in Y. It is definitely worth the small increment of Avios points.
Yup - what Jamie said.

For other CX info, especially as it relates to the various J seats/routes, start here.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Thanks Jamienbaker.

We flew CX from DPS-HKG in March 2012, redeeming BA Avios on two Business class seats. Our flight was operated by a B744, however depending on the season I believe CX also operate B777s on this route.

If you're on a B744, it will not be the new Business class seats, however even despite this, if you find availability in Business, they're a bargain under the Avios scheme.

Last edited by inasmuchas; Jan 1, 2013 at 6:20 am
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: UA/MM/1K
HKG - DPS

Business class open up a week before departure generally. As for the VIP service not worth the 25$/pp especially if your traveling with someone, just get of the plane early(sit forward enough in Eco ) and have 1 person get VOA and one person stand in immigration line. Just did it with family of 4 and got through before our bags arrived on belt.
Just carry exact change for VOA, makes it easier...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by acesflyerSFO
Business class open up a week before departure generally. As for the VIP service not worth the 25$/pp especially if your traveling with someone, just get of the plane early(sit forward enough in Eco ) and have 1 person get VOA and one person stand in immigration line. Just did it with family of 4 and got through before our bags arrived on belt.
Just carry exact change for VOA, makes it easier...
High risk strategy, IMO. CX785 arrives at virtually the same time as widebodies from BKK, SIN and KUL. I've taken 785 and been the first to arrive (hence, VIP was admittedly a waste), and I've been on 785 as the last of the four widebodies (and saw families crying, they had been standing for so long). This is without question the period of peak arrival activity. You've been warned
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Visit Bali frequently. First time didn't pay for service.. waited HOURS.

Ever since, I always say its the best $25 you could spend in your life.

You'll be far more relaxed and arrive at your hotel far earlier than if you hadn't.

The traffic gets horrendous just after the CX flight lands. With luck you can beat most of it.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I will definitly make use of both the VIP scheme and keep on the look out for J seats which open up. I try to keep the rule of flying in J if over 4 hours and this fits that. Its just a shame that ther were no seats.

On the chance that we cant get seats will the Gold status allow us fast track through security at HKG or DPS?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:04 pm

Thanks all.

I will definitly make use of both the VIP scheme and keep on the look out for J seats which open up. I try to keep the rule of flying in J if over 4 hours and this fits that. Its just a shame that ther were no seats.

On the chance that we cant get seats will the Gold status allow us fast track through security at HKG or DPS?
No fast track at either airport. Sorry. Good luck with seats opening, let us know.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I will keep you updated if I manage to find some seats. CX J is often toalked about and it would be nice to try. The only other J class I have tried are EK and BA.

Any more tips for HK or Bali are appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.