Wiki Posts
Search

Amazing miles redemption IT change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Amazing miles redemption IT change

Previously on a roundtrip upgrade (e.g. HKG-YVR-HKG) if one of your segments is still waitlisted at the upgrade ticketing deadline (which may be set to some time that's quite a bit sooner than your travel commencement date), you'd be forced to issue a one-way ticket first, and then another should the waitlisted segment subsequently become available, with these two one-way upgrades costing extra miles over a round-trip upgrade.

Speaking with MPC today, the agent said this policy has now changed. Yes you'd still have to issue the one-way ticket first, but if waitlisted segment subsequently becomes available, as long as the miles are deducted from the same account, you need to pay only the additional miles necessary for a round-trip upgrade.

This applies even if a return segment upgrade (YVR-HKG) was confirmed after travel (HKG-YVR) has commenced. The system will deduct miles for the return as a one-way upgrade first, but you can call MPC to have them give a refund of miles charged in excess of what a round-trip upgrade would have costed !!

I thought this is truly amazing ! Borderline unbelievable for CX IT to be able to do this !!!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
That is good news. ^
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Wow, this is huge. Nice Christmas present from CX to their most loyal customers.

I wonder if that refund is retroactive? I should dig up my last upgrade and try it out.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:07 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Don't know why you say this is an IT thing. I'm sure it's a business decision, not an IT decision.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:22 am

Does this work for redemption ticket as well?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
This IS good news. ^ Previously I've always felt gypped when the wait-listed segment became available and two one-way upgrade miles were still deducted rather than as one round-trip. This is indeed an improvement.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by marcuslai
This applies even if a return segment upgrade (YVR-HKG) was confirmed after travel (HKG-YVR) has commenced. The system will deduct miles for the return as a one-way upgrade first, but you can call MPC to have them give a refund of miles charged in excess of what a round-trip upgrade would have costed
I am told same policy for my open-jaw(view from upgrade) itinerary.
HKG(CX)FUK(JL)ITM(JL)HND(CX)HKG (one ticket)

HKG-FUK U class confirmed.
But, HND-HKG waitlisted.
An angent says difference between two one-way and roundtrip upgrades will be refunded if HND-HKG confirmed and award issued even after HKG-FUK flown.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:19 am
Suspended

Is this why the upgrade must be applied to the original itineary and can't be swap as others identified?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
worked a charm for HKG-Lhr j to F upg

Did this just before the hols. Agents were aware of new policy and indeed called me when second flight cleared both to let me know and confirm that only the round trip points would be debited from my am acct. good service CX- but then again I am DM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marcuslai
I thought this is truly amazing !
Amazing? It's simple common sense. The 2x one-way mileage "premium" was always offensive anyway. But I guess CX is renown primarily for their in-air service, not much else...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Amazing? It's simple common sense. The 2x one-way mileage "premium" was always offensive anyway. But I guess CX is renown primarily for their in-air service, not much else...
I think it's fair to say "amazing" based on our understanding of CX.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Try QF and see what their lottery upgrade process is like. CX is already quite generous in this area compare to other oneworld airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.