Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

secondary documentation information for US residents....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Exclamation secondary documentation information for US residents....

Happily doing the OLCI and after clicking continue I was warned that I need to enter "Secondary Documentation" for US residents only. In the past you can leave that blank and just continue with primary passport information. Anyway, no biggie I said, until I clicked the drop-down menu, it only gave two choices: "Alien Registration Card" (which as US Citizen I don't have) and "US Permanent Residence Card" - WHAT THE HECK IS THAT! I have grew up in the USA and the only times I've read of such things in the news, and it's usually related to voter fraud and how people that don't have Driver's License can apply for such Residence ID. Because in the USA your Driver's License or Social Security Number, and its respective numbers, pretty much serves as information that is equivalent to HKID#. USA is unique in that area. So, since I have only two choices, I clicked Residence ID and typed in my Driver's License number and expiration date, but CX should really realized this will confuse the heck out of a lot of US citizens.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Happily doing the OLCI and after clicking continue I was warned that I need to enter "Secondary Documentation" for US residents only. In the past you can leave that blank and just continue with primary passport information. Anyway, no biggie I said, until I clicked the drop-down menu, it only gave two choices: "Alien Registration Card" (which as US Citizen I don't have) and "US Permanent Residence Card" - WHAT THE HECK IS THAT! I have grew up in the USA and the only times I've read of such things in the news, and it's usually related to voter fraud and how people that don't have Driver's License can apply for such Residence ID. Because in the USA your Driver's License or Social Security Number, and its respective numbers, pretty much serves as information that is equivalent to HKID#. USA is unique in that area. So, since I have only two choices, I clicked Residence ID and typed in my Driver's License number and expiration date, but CX should really realized this will confuse the heck out of a lot of US citizens.
it happens from time to time. i'd say out of every 20 flights I take to the US, 1 of them has that glitch despite selecting options that should disable that feature. You can just make up bull$hit information in there, select the permanent resident card/alient card, type in whatever you want, and the system will accept it. the first time it happened I was worried I'd have an issue at immigration in the US, but never had a problem and have entered crap information in there every time since.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: CX MPO SL
the "US Permanent Residence Card" refers to the green card. It's for people who legally reside in the US but are not yet naturalized as citizens.

I think "Alien Registration Card" could be identification for temporary visitors, such as students, visiting scholars, etc.

These are irrelevant for sure if you're a US citizen.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:42 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum

Alien resident card is the old name of the Permanent resident card. There are still some with ARC that are valid.

Anyone on a US Visa eg. H1B, L1, TN1 are all considered non immigrant visas as you do not have indefinite right to remain in the Country
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:44 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum

Non immigrant visa also means you are not a us resident in the eyes of US CBP even if you have lived there for years
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
it happens from time to time. i'd say out of every 20 flights I take to the US, 1 of them has that glitch despite selecting options that should disable that feature. You can just make up bull$hit information in there, select the permanent resident card/alient card, type in whatever you want, and the system will accept it. the first time it happened I was worried I'd have an issue at immigration in the US, but never had a problem and have entered crap information in there every time since.
Yeah, as far as USCS is concerned, they probably received your transmitted alien arrival information, knew you took the flight, but never saw you enter the country. Maybe you transitted on another flight or returned... Or entered with a different passport.

I'm sure it happens enough they discard it. All they would have otherwise is a name match.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Yeah, as far as USCS is concerned, they probably received your transmitted alien arrival information, knew you took the flight, but never saw you enter the country. Maybe you transitted on another flight or returned... Or entered with a different passport.

I'm sure it happens enough they discard it. All they would have otherwise is a name match.
I see. Yea I'm a US citizen. Sometimes that glitch the OP refers to pops up and insists I enter that information (which is irrelevant to me), and CX won't let me check-in online without doing so. So I happily oblige by just entering nonsense, the system lets me check-in, and I never have problems when I reach the US.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Anyway, no biggie I said, until I clicked the drop-down menu, it only gave two choices: "Alien Registration Card" (which as US Citizen I don't have) and "US Permanent Residence Card"
It's a bug in the web interface - one of the pull down menus in the secondary ID gets inadvertently selected when you are entering other information. Just de-select that pull down menu to the default "no value" and it won't prompt you to enter the secondary ID anymore.

This just happened to me yesterday when updating my info on my TPE-SFO segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.