Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Two stopovers, two transits or one openjaw

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two stopovers, two transits or one openjaw

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:36 pm

I have redeemed HKG-oLAX-oMCO-xMIA-DCA//JFK-HKG and its fine.
ask the agent to send the ticket to ticketing.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: CXSL
Originally Posted by kaka
I second the bkk one is out of rules whilst lhr//mxp shud b ok...
Thanks both.
Any idea how to explain this to the agent. They insist LHR//MXP is another stopover, but in fact I have already reach the destination, by quoting this from website

Stopover
This is when you stop in a third place en route before you reach your final destination.

Surprisingly, I searched around Asiamiles website and found the following

Round-trip Award
With this award two stopovers, two transfers and one open-jaw (at origin, en route or turnaround point) - are permitted.

It uses "AND" instead of "OR", which contradicts to the award chart page where we usually look at. Great.

Let me have another call the agent.

Last edited by useatnet; Aug 15, 2013 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:26 am

calling again may help. I would suggest you to insist the agent to send the routing to the ticketing desk, and the ticketing desk is experienced enough to let it through.

there is no "destination" in a redemption booking, it will either be a stopover or an openjaw... but both airports in an openjaw does not count as stopover.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: CXSL
Finally I called again, and successfully made the below reservation

ICN-oHKG-LHR//MXP-oHKG-ICN

The Cantonese agent (Tsuen Wan centre) was indeed helpful without challenging the routing.

In addition, she gave me advice that if outbound is clear while inbound is still waitlisting, one can first redeem the outbound as one-way ticket (deducting one-way miles requirement), and once inbound clears, tickets it and deduct another one-way miles requirement. Upon completion, Asiamiles will credit the difference of two one-ways and one return to my account, i.e.

HKG-ICN (-20,000 miles)
ICN-HKG (-20,000 miles)
Upon trip completion, credit back 10,000 (= 30,000-20,000-20,000) to the account

Anyone tried this? is it new or "old news is so exciting"?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:10 pm
Suspended

(Semi) old news so.exciting
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:23 am

Which of the following is legal then?

HKG-oLAX-oSAN-LAX//FRA-HKG

HKG-xLAX-oSAN-LAX//FRA-HKG
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by penguintsang
Which of the following is legal then?

HKG-oLAX-oSAN-LAX//FRA-HKG

HKG-xLAX-oSAN-LAX//FRA-HKG
Both should be.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Just spent 2+ hours on the phone with the agents on the Asia Miles line. They had me more confused than anything to a point where I questioned my own knowledge

Long story short

Round trip ticket

HKG-PVG (stopover)- NRT (Stopover)- ICN (destination)-HKG

is valid right? I kept getting the runaround that I can only book the ticket with two stops in total i.e. HKG-PVT-NRT-HKG
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Your itinerary violates the rules. You have 3 stopovers. PVG, NRT and ICN.

There's no such thing as a "destination". Every city in your itinerary after the originating city is either a stopover, transit, or open jaw.

If you stay in PVG, NRT or ICN for less than 24 hours, then it will be a transit. Anything more than 24 hours is a stopover.

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Aug 28, 2014 at 7:55 am
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Your itinerary violates the rules. You have 3 stopovers. PVG, NRT and ICN.

There's no such thing as a "destination". Every city in your itinerary after the originating city is either a stopover, transit, or open jaw.

If you stay in PVG, NRT or ICN for less than 24 hours, then it will be a transit. Anything more than 24 hours is a stopover.
Thank you very much for clearing that up. Thought I lost my mind for a sec there.. turns out I did...
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:56 am
cgo

Hello, i am new here. And i have amassed 130k miles and i want to redeem an economy multicarrier award ticket from asia miles. I have a few destinations in mind, but i first want to ask some terminologies. What do you mean by: transfers? I understand the 25-35k mile range allows 5 stopover, 2 transfers, 2 open jaws ? I want to maximize this to allow visiting as many places as possible. What could be an example of this technique?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
hnd-ohkg-olhr-ojfk-oyvr-olhr-xhkg-xtpe-icn//lax-lhr//hkg-cts

Originally Posted by Clark Kendrick Go
Hello, i am new here. And i have amassed 130k miles and i want to redeem an economy multicarrier award ticket from asia miles. I have a few destinations in mind, but i first want to ask some terminologies. What do you mean by: transfers? I understand the 25-35k mile range allows 5 stopover, 2 transfers, 2 open jaws ? I want to maximize this to allow visiting as many places as possible. What could be an example of this technique?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:07 am

Hi please help if this OK.

Possibility 1----HND-(o)LHR-(x)Dus-(o-turnaround point)HKG-(o)LHR-(x)HKG-HND

This should be 2 stopovers, 2 transfers, one turnaround point and no openjaw. I will be using CX/BA/JL.

Or else what about this?

Possibility 2 ----HND-(o)LHR//Dus-(o-turnaround point)HKG-(o)LHR-(x)HKG-HND

This should be 2 stopovers,1 transfer, one turnaround point and one openjaw. I will be using CX/JL.

Thank you very much.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Hi please help if this OK.

Possibility 1----HND-(o)LHR-(x)Dus-(o-turnaround point)HKG-(o)LHR-(x)HKG-HND

This should be 2 stopovers, 2 transfers, one turnaround point and no openjaw. I will be using CX/BA/JL.

Or else what about this?

Possibility 2 ----HND-(o)LHR//Dus-(o-turnaround point)HKG-(o)LHR-(x)HKG-HND

This should be 2 stopovers,1 transfer, one turnaround point and one openjaw. I will be using CX/JL.

Thank you very much.
possibility 1 is no-go (but with 2 airlines +cx ure looking at oneworld award anyways)

possibility 2 ur lhr//dus is NOT a stopover. It can only be an openjaw (which it is) or a stopover, but not both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.