Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What does CX think The Middle East is?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion

I flew BKK-HKG-JFK in F back in August. I was going to post this here a while ago, but forgot, so here it is-
First thing, what does Cathay think the Middle East is? Look at this pic from StudioCX:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7236633...n/photostream/

Do you see what's wrong?

I sent a message to the complaints dept, and never got a response. Being from India, this is sort of a slap in the face. I have nothing against the Middle East. EK is my favorite airline, and I fly through and to Dubai, VERY often. I just think they should get their facts right.

Also, the service was bad, the lounges weren't that great, food bad, no car service for premium pax, seat not comfortable (compared to EK suites). The shanghai tang PJ's were beyond uncomfortable. I didn't get my main course until all passengers had received theirs, had finished and were preparing to go to sleep. Don't tell me I'm just complaining bc I'm an EK fan, but the service on Cathay wasn't what I expected. I've heard great things about CX, but they were not true with my experience. I don't think I'll be flying CX again. I usually fly EK, and have to BKK and HKG before, but I decided to try CX this time because of all the great things I've heard about it. I've learned my lesson.

-emirates202
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is this thread for real?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by moondog
Is this thread for real?
why do you think its not? isn't this the CX forum? Im talking about my experience on CX. I don't see why you're surprised by a post like this.
What don't you believe that you are asking if this is for real?

Over at the EK forum, when someone complains, we talk about what went wrong. Not ask if the thread is for real.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Emirates202
why do you think its not? isn't this the CX forum? Im talking about my experience on CX. I don't see why you're surprised by a post like this.
What don't you believe that you are asking if this is for real?

Over at the EK forum, when someone complains, we talk about what went wrong. Not ask if the thread is for real.
I'm sorry u experienced this. However other than this blip is the CX service and product offering ok?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Thai
At least from JFK, you have the option of EK to Bangkok. Doesn't work for us on the west coast.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
I flew BKK-HKG-JFK in F back in August. I was going to post this here a while ago, but forgot, so here it is-
First thing, what does Cathay think the Middle East is? Look at this pic from StudioCX:

Do you see what's wrong?

I sent a message to the complaints dept, and never got a response. Being from India, this is sort of a slap in the face. I have nothing against the Middle East. EK is my favorite airline, and I fly through and to Dubai, VERY often. I just think they should get their facts right.

Also, the service was bad, the lounges weren't that great, food bad, no car service for premium pax, seat not comfortable (compared to EK suites). The shanghai tang PJ's were beyond uncomfortable. I didn't get my main course until all passengers had received theirs, had finished and were preparing to go to sleep. Don't tell me I'm just complaining bc I'm an EK fan, but the service on Cathay wasn't what I expected. I've heard great things about CX, but they were not true with my experience. I don't think I'll be flying CX again. I usually fly EK, and have to BKK and HKG before, but I decided to try CX this time because of all the great things I've heard about it. I've learned my lesson.

-emirates202
For the most part this strikes me as legitimate grounds for discussion. Although I would think it's more worth focusing on the service you received than a gripe about a picture displayed in the IFE.

Originally Posted by Pickles
Thank you for sharing. And don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out.
It's only Sunday, and already we have a winner for most-fanboy-ish-least-helpful response of the week!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

why do you think its not?
I wasn't opining one way or the other, just asking. But, the reason I asked is that I couldn't personally fathom getting worked up enough over something like this to write a letter, let alone expect a response.

BTW, what lounge in HKIA did you find unsatisfactory? The Cabin is one of my favorite lounges in the world when it's not crowded, and the F section of the Pier is also pretty solid.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:21 pm

It's true that the Taj Mahal is not Middle Eastern. The marble inlay work is largely Italian in origin.

Seriously, I believe Oneworld treats the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent as the same region for award purposes.

Then there is United Airlines, which considers India to be Central Asia. That's just as inconsistent with standard terminology as calling it the Middle East.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
The reason why some people 'cant believe this thread' including myself, is because it's more of a rant than talking about an experience.

You have given NO details about specific shortfalls in service or product, other than being negative and saying that everything was bad. You then compare it to your obviously favorite airline EK.

What do you want people to say?

Why not constructively discuss your complaints with your flight, so that we can discuss it...Like in the 'EK forum'. why do you think the service was not up to standard? Or are you just comparing every detail with EK? Where were you sat, which made you get your order last? Whats wrong with the lounge?

Also no limousine service for PAX is a service you would have been able to realize was not available before booking...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:12 pm

Also, the service was bad, the lounges weren't that great, food bad, no car service for premium pax, seat not comfortable (compared to EK suites). The shanghai tang PJ's were beyond uncomfortable.
-emirates202
I flew EK F, BA F & CX F few weeks ago all in the same week (all long haul) and I have summarized the same in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ands-down.html

After a long flight I prefer a good shower and EK DXB F lounge shower for sure is a let down compared to CX's new J (Wings) and old Pier. EK F lounge shower first of all doesn't have a mirror, wash basin, toilet built in with shower. Also EK F shower is way too small to place hand luggage & dress up. Yes, EK's F lounge dining ambiance (less crowd for the space) is superior to bit overcrowded CX F lounge but still CX lounges trump because of excellent shower!

In my humble opinion, all F's (BA, CX, EK) were great when it comes to seat, food & service. EK did stand out marginally in terms of overboard service but felt bit superficial.

When it comes to ambiance I prefer BA and CX over EK as EK feels quite blingy...Too much gold, shine, mirror, lights, etc.

re: "shanghai tang PJ's were beyond uncomfortable.", C'mon! All (EK, BA, CX) are cotton PJ's and I honestly don't see the difference but then again what do I know!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: Thai
I wish I was rich enough to complain about the Pajamas in First Class!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:42 pm

Do you see what's wrong?

-emirates202
Maybe they were thinking of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-19825332
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by Cameron38
I wish I was rich enough to complain about the Pajamas in First Class!
My favorite observation of the month! ^
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓

Do you see what's wrong?

-emirates202
OP did throw all the rants at the same time. But I do think there is a legitimate discussion.

1. Cultural Sensitivity

I don't know what exactly OP's ethnicity is. But based on increasing numbers of South Asian population in Hong Kong, a lot of businesses (including CX) should be more sensitive to the culture of a particular ethnicity.

Apparently CX fails to do that.

2. Customer Relations Response

Based on OP, OP provided a valuable comment (Cultural Sensitivity is not a small issue) to CX. It is up to CX to act or it or not. But at least, a thank you email? No response? Something must be wrong.

3. Service issue

There were reports about CX's declining service. But did OP's issue make this another one? OP will have to provide more information.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: CX, le club accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
My favorite observation of the month! ^
Wouldn't you say the OP's complaint is exactly what the clusterfeek TW press did when a certain IFE firm's map put down Chia-i as Chi-ai in Chinese? Anyway...

I think the OP mainly just regrets having listened to other people's opinion re: CX, so now he's come back to point a finger & say "it's all (y)our fault". There's no healthy discussion that can be had out of that kind of attitude.

CX as a business entity has got enough Indian crew and business to/from India, that I wouldn't think they did what the OP's accused them of out of sheer ignorance. Perhaps it's just a matter of captioning that box with "Middle East and India".

And I imagine a country as significant as India wouldn't need two little words tagged onto an IFE screen in order to validate its dignity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.