Wiki Posts
Search

SIN - HKG - LHR: 1st or Business?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, PC Plat, HH Diamond
SIN - HKG - LHR: 1st or Business?

I'm over in Singapore next week for the F1. I'm using Avios. I'm BA 1st direct LHR - SIN on the way there and am currently booked CX 1st SIN - LHR via HKG on the way back, but there is availability on Business on the same route (and indeed flights). The folks on the BA Board say great things about CX, but I was wondering what the view here was: is it worth the extra Avios burn for 1st when compared to Business. The HKG - LHR is a day flight, but I suspect (hope) I'll be all tuckered out . Any advice/opinion appreciated!

Last edited by gemscot; Sep 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm Reason: Best if I give an idea of the route!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by gemscot
I'm over in Singapore next week for the F1. I'm using Avios. I'm BA 1st direct LHR - SIN on the way there and am currently booked CX 1st SIN - LHR via HKG on the way back, but there is availability on Business on the same route (and indeed flights). The folks on the BA Board say great things about CX, but I was wondering what the view here was: is it worth the extra Avios burn for 1st when compared to Business. The HKG - LHR is a day flight, but I suspect (hope) I'll be all tuckered out . Any advice/opinion appreciated!
CX First is awesome. If you can afford the points I'd definitely burn them. The seat is so much better than BA's.

Note, however that CX frequently swaps aircraft on the SIN-HKG leg. There is a good chance you will end up flying that leg in J (very possibly in a regional config, no matter what aircraft it says when you book). There is about a thread a week around here about regional aircraft swaps and people (many of them on AA miles) getting downgraded at the last minute, without much compensation. Do a quick search and you'll see what I mean. So I would just be prepared mentally to thoroughly enjoy CX F.....on the HKG-LHR leg. And view the first three hour SIN-HKG leg as potluck.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I would say a 12h daytime westbound flight in CX F is probably one of the best flying experiences available.

Hell, I did BA F PVG-LHR last year and it was fantastic fun, only slept for 1 hour out of the 12.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I upgraded from a J flight YVR-HKG-YVR and am so glad I burned the extra miles.

have only done the YVR-HKG leg but the service, seat, food and booze were phenomenal. Unfortunately i took the wife as well and now she expects this to be the norm for travel. :0

The CX studio was awesome as well. Not sure if it is different in J.

As some have posted on here before and glad I listened to them first is first.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, AC Super Elite, DL Plat, NW Gold, CO Gold Elite, BA Gold, PR Elite,
CX F is like F1. CX J is IndyCar and Y, well NASCAR does come to mind...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by [email protected]
CX F is like F1. CX J is IndyCar and Y, well NASCAR does come to mind...
Perfect analogy. ^
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Note that you will probably not get F on SIN-HKG, but rather a regional plane with outdated J seats 2x3x2. You will also have to get up extremely early SIN time. With jet lag, it will seem like time to go to bed in UK.
Personally I am not a fan of 13hrs daytime flights. CX F is nice but 13 hours in your cubicle is long, especially if you have flown F before. By the time you get into the plane and get your lunch, it will be morning UK time. Personally, I would prefer flying back from SIN nonstop on BA F; even if CX F is quite superior to BA F.

To get back to your question CX J or F: CX F is far superior to BA F because of the suite which takes the space of 1.5 BA F seat and the great AVOD. To me, food and wines are comparable; service is inferior on BA when F is full because they get so many F seats. CX J is not superior to BA J on the upper deck (actually I find it inferior). On CX J, you get the same huge screen (almost same size) and AVOD as in CX F, but the space is quite narrow compared to CX F; and that is bad for a daytime flight. The new CX J seat are better for daytime. If awards are available, I would MUCH prefer a nonstop SIN-LHR on BA J than a long SIN-HKG-LHR on CX J. But that's me and BA flights must be full with F1.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Smile

You can get F on the regional, I did it last month with my family. The 12.45 on certain days and on Saturday for me has the product.

If you can afford the Avios then fly CX first, it is quite simply the best in the air and you may never fly BA again.... I came home from HKG on the day time and NF, again a family of 4 and just 5 in the cabin. very good but CX product makes it look like business class!!

Last edited by binman; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:52 am Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by binman
You can get F on the regional, I did it last month with my family. The 12.45 on certain days and on Saturday for me has the product.
Yea, I don't think the issue is if you can get F, the issue is if you will get F when you book F. And the answer to that is definitely "not always".
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
I just flew HKG MXP in F I much prefer the night time flights. You dine in the lounge before flying and get on board and sleep like a baby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.