FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1383631-sin-hkg-equipment-lottery-regional-equipment-swaps.html)

carrotjuice Sep 2, 12 10:48 pm

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]
 
I know aircraft swaps could happen on this route, hence have been trying to minimize the chances of this happening by monitoring the aircraft choices on CX website up till 2 days before my flight before finally redeeming my miles, just to ensure that I get on a 77W cabin with those new Cirrus seats in J.

And up to yesterday, when I checked in online, I was still able to see the 77W cabin and picked my nice window seat in the 1-2-1 config.

But today, when I went to Changi to collect my boarding pass, they told me it's now substituted to an old 772 with 2-3-2 config! The checkin lady shrugged her shoulders but acknowledged that "well, HKG likes to switch their aircraft to SIN a lot..."

Really annoyed... I had wanted to start my trip on my chosen aircraft and J seat, in fact I had planned my whole trip in light of this... only to be disappointed - again. :mad:

[email protected] Sep 2, 12 11:08 pm

I flew MNL-HKG-SIN-HKG-MNL last week as I needed 2000 miles to make Diamond for next year and had a lousy plane both SIN legs. So I finally found a route treat worse then HKG-MNL! I guess CX had decided to forefit bragging rights to SQ on this route??? But what can you expect for only 820 usd. Less then what SQ charges between MNL and SIN in J.

lingua101 Sep 2, 12 11:25 pm


Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 19242095)
I know aircraft swaps could happen on this route, hence have been trying to minimize the chances of this happening by monitoring the aircraft choices on CX website up till 2 days before my flight before finally redeeming my miles, just to ensure that I get on a 77W cabin with those new Cirrus seats in J.

And up to yesterday, when I checked in online, I was still able to see the 77W cabin and picked my nice window seat in the 1-2-1 config.

But today, when I went to Changi to collect my boarding pass, they told me it's now substituted to an old 772 with 2-3-2 config! The checkin lady shrugged her shoulders but acknowledged that "well, HKG likes to switch their aircraft to SIN a lot..."

Really annoyed... I had wanted to start my trip on my chosen aircraft and J seat, in fact I had planned my whole trip in light of this... only to be disappointed - again. :mad:

Same did happen to me on SIN-BKK flight. It was scheduled on 77W and I was assigned 11H which is supposed to be "more private" section. Still got this seat on OLCI. Went to the airport, given the BP (well I never checked it, as the agent did not say anything). Only realize it at the gate when I saw my BP printed as 12H!!! The stupid part is 12K is occupied (they suppose to assign first row to elite?), and they are many empty seat on the cabin.

Why I need to sit next to someone when I can have 2 seats by myself?

also I was quite annoyed that they did not inform me on the seat reassignment (not to mention aircraft change)!! :mad:

I have already learn long time ago, there is no point to "choose" aircraft on CX flight (SIN-HKG/SIN-BKK/HKG-TPE), you may end up with anything.

Jane's Addiction Sep 3, 12 12:32 am

The equipment changes are a real shag if you buy J based on getting a certain J seat. My solution on flights to SIN has been to fly SQ more, as I know I will get what I had planned for....

A check-in agent at SGN (another location with lots of equipment changes) told me a month ago that the equipment had changed 4 times during the day before a 7pm flight.

FlyPointyEnd Sep 3, 12 2:53 am

happened the same thing on my HKG-SIN sector last time, It was supposed to be a 77D up until my check-in in Manila, when I got to the plane in HKG it became a 773. uuuggghhh

ermen Sep 4, 12 2:31 am

Same here, flying SIN-HKG I chose an earlier 4:30pm departure to try to get the 77W. but got the 330 coffin seats in the end.

Another time gave up my HKG-SYD QF F ticket to try the new Cirrus product in J. Guess what - they changes the plane to an old 330 again.

Wrt to CX's regional fleet - they are really bad compared to SQ's. Are they actually thinking of refurbishing it though?

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Sep 4, 12 3:15 am

Bless Your Heart...
 
That's just criminal what they are doing to YOU! Have you considered therapy to help you deal with the pain & anxiety???

mach92 Sep 4, 12 3:21 am

Just book SQ no lottery.

A-380's both ways ^

Kachjc Sep 4, 12 4:22 am

As for bragging rights

In terms of numbers cathay 9-10 times a day vs times by singapore

and 773 caries 398 passengers

I think most premium passengers only fly cathay because of loyalty on singapore -hong kong and not for premium cabins

and cathay competes with low cost airlines on this route and I dare say Cathay knows to compete with lowcost airlines!!

It amazing how at times cathay fares to singapore are not that much different to the low cost options.

I think the high capacity 773 and regional A330 is a good way to compete with low cost airlines especially the future jetstar hongkong

Hopefully the lease more 773 and put them in 3-4-3 arrangement for regional flights.
Jetstar will not have it easy in Hong Kong like it had in singapore

Jane's Addiction Sep 4, 12 6:49 am


Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways (Post 19248614)
That's just criminal what they are doing to YOU! Have you considered therapy to help you deal with the pain & anxiety???


useful input. thanks for stopping by.

stevie Sep 4, 12 7:27 am

CX chnaged my NRT from a 777w to a 333 with regional biz class. I am suprised they would do this on one of the loner inter-Asian trip. Although going by this thread it could change many times again.

k3nnis Sep 4, 12 7:38 am

TG has a competitor on their hands for famous last minute equipment swaps :)

AA_EXP09 Sep 4, 12 5:36 pm


Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction (Post 19242356)
The equipment changes are a real shag if you buy J based on getting a certain J seat. My solution on flights to SIN has been to fly SQ more, as I know I will get what I had planned for....

A check-in agent at SGN (another location with lots of equipment changes) told me a month ago that the equipment had changed 4 times during the day before a 7pm flight.

I'd rather have chance of random equipment and opup vs no chance of equipment switch or opup.

380Flyer Sep 4, 12 5:50 pm


Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 19242201)
Same did happen to me on SIN-BKK flight. It was scheduled on 77W and I was assigned 11H which is supposed to be "more private" section. Still got this seat on OLCI. Went to the airport, given the BP (well I never checked it, as the agent did not say anything). Only realize it at the gate when I saw my BP printed as 12H!!! The stupid part is 12K is occupied (they suppose to assign first row to elite?), and they are many empty seat on the cabin.

Why I need to sit next to someone when I can have 2 seats by myself?

also I was quite annoyed that they did not inform me on the seat reassignment (not to mention aircraft change)!! :mad:

I have already learn long time ago, there is no point to "choose" aircraft on CX flight (SIN-HKG/SIN-BKK/HKG-TPE), you may end up with anything.

Once the new regional J class seats come online, you will not have the lottery effect on CX. However, it will be a lottery until they either complete the entire regional fleet fit out or guarantee new seats on specific route by flight numbers (and that too can be subject to last minute swap).

As for the check-in staff at Singapore, they are not CX crew but DNATA staff wearing CX uniform. The same applies in Bangkok (TG staff but wearing CX uniform) - the service levels are not the same when comparing to CX own staff handling check-in process (HKG).

Overall, I am happy with CX and as their Diamond card member, I get treated well and I love the new lounge sand the new longhaul product across all classes are fantastic!

carrotjuice Sep 4, 12 11:23 pm

What bothers me is that CX doesn't make it a point to tell their passengers earlier regarding aircraft substitution. I refuse to believe they didn't know about any intended substitution a day before - when OLCI is opened. And it can't always be the result of aircraft breakdowns resulting in kneejerk substitutions. If this is known beforehand, are they just not bothered with updating the website for OLCI?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:19 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.