Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:04 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

For partner crediting for anyone who might be interested... I had booked a PE fare (E fare) ORD-SIN on CX back in May and flew in September. On the HKG-SIN sector equipment was swapped after OLCI from a long haul A333 to a regional A333 without PEY.

I was rebooked in economy L fare class and this involuntary downgrade in fare class became ineligible for earning when crediting to AA. I did receive a proactive operational upgrade to business class approximately six hours before the flight, but after completion of the flight my PNR was manually changed back to the economy L fare class.

I claimed a missing mileage credit request online with AA and as expected it was rejected by CX a week later citing ineligible fare class. Gave AA Advantage Customer Service a call and explained my situation and I emailed them my purchase receipt showing I bought PEY, sent my original BP with PEY seat (30A), my updated BP with a seat in Y after the downgrade, and my “flown” seat BP (15A - business).

AA sent another request to CX including all of the documents I submitted. 5 weeks later my account was credited the downgraded segment based on my original ticketed fare.

It wasn’t easy, but if you have all of the documents and politely push your case you can get ORC even when crediting to partners.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Got the lottery downgrade this morning, some nearly 2 months before the flight is scheduled to happen. How do they even know? Looks like they switched from a LH to a regional A333. I'm probably gonna use this opportunity to change to a different day at no charge.

I'm fine with the fact that they rarely op-up any more these days, but they will fly me in the class I paid for. On all sectors. Especially with these highway robbery fares they're charging nowadays. After leaking all my data to every Tom, Dick, and Hank.

Meanwhile, looks like it's time to check out other carriers who are a little more predictable in this regard...

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; Dec 17, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Got the lottery downgrade this morning, some nearly 2 months before the flight is scheduled to happen. How do they even know? Looks like they switched from a LH to a regional A333. I'm probably gonna use this opportunity to change to a different day at no charge.

I'm fine with the fact that they rarely op-up any more these days, but they will fly me in the class I paid for. On all sectors. Especially with these highway robbery fares they're charging nowadays. After leaking all my data to every Tom, Dick, and Hank.

Meanwhile, looks like it's time to check out other carriers who are a little more predictable in this regard...
Well the class you paid for was regional business class. Whether you over paid for that or not is a different thing, but CX doesn’t guarantee you a long haul seat on this route.

And there is no guarantee that two months out that your new flight won’t get swapped to a regional plane either.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal

Fill up an online complaint form, attach this blog post. https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/09/...-cash-payment/

Since you are on a paid booking, I suggest you ask double the compensation for all the troubles, In fact since HKG-BKK is shorter than HKG-SIN demand that they give you 1.5 x 2 or 300 dollars as a fair compensation based on the amount they paid out to the blogger.
QRC3288, percysmith and G-CIVC like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: Alaska
Is pleasantly surprised that CX714 on May 19th is LH configuration. Always thought this is the least likely flight to use LH A/C.

What’s the chance of me actually flying LH A/C with another one and half month ahead? Check around the dates, that day is the only one.

Last week encountered the only few chances that CX619 did not fly with A350, but with LH A330. CX712, too.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by freed0m
Is pleasantly surprised that CX714 on May 19th is LH configuration. Always thought this is the least likely flight to use LH A/C.

What’s the chance of me actually flying LH A/C with another one and half month ahead? Check around the dates, that day is the only one.

Last week encountered the only few chances that CX619 did not fly with A350, but with LH A330. CX712, too.
just very hard to say, unless someone here is familiar with the operating requirements / changes / aircraft deliveries / maintenance schedule / etc. upcoming. Those are all factors and I don't think many of us are really that much in the weeds.

Without more detailed operations knowledge, our general rule of thumb is just to say "expect the worst" and be pleased if it doesn't occur.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
It can be anything. I just got booted from PE on A351 on Monday’s 659 to 43H on A33P. Not happy as I paid for PE outright for the extra space. Mind you, this happened at T-34
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
It can be anything. I just got booted from PE on A351 on Monday’s 659 to 43H on A33P. Not happy as I paid for PE outright for the extra space. Mind you, this happened at T-34
You’d probably be upgraded to J, an upgrade from PEY even if it’s the regional one.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by SLGO

You’d probably be upgraded to J, an upgrade from PEY even if it’s the regional one.
i doubt so. 22 out of 24 seats selected in J
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb

i doubt so. 22 out of 24 seats selected in J
I’d protest if I end up flying in Y.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:18 pm

So frustrating. I totally sympathize.

The only thing I will not say is that going to CX's regional J is an "upgrade". In fact, I'd rather sit in PEY than CX's regional J. It's obviously never a choice you really get (since PEY planes don't have regional J), but just sayin...

I know this solution isn't for everyone, but if you're flying premium, I just recommend ditching CX for the Singapore route and swap to SQ if you self-direct your corporate spend or self-pay your way. That's what I've done for all my cash purchases in the last almost 2 years. (I still do, once or twice a year burn miles down to Singapore on CX if it's available in J, although reading on here that seems like a no-go too). But for all business flights, around 5-6x annually, I've now completely swapped to SQ F on my last few flights and J before that. I do not have a corporate contract that gives me discounts so here are my choices:

(prices give or take)
*SQ J, $1600 USD: guaranteed long-haul product, very wide seat, which I like for productivity.
*CX J, $2000 USD: equipment swaps possible, complete ripoff price for regional J.
*SQ F, $2600 USD: guaranteed, superb regional product, highly productive.

Note: SQ flies F 3x guaranteed daily to/from HKG (1x suites, 2x first), and J 4x guaranteed (one of the long-haul planes they fly to HKG doesn't have F). You can bank on it, unlike CX. SQ should seriously put up advertisements around Hong Kong.

I might have a specific use case but I am a businessman like a lot of people on here. No chance I'm going a CX regional redeye. So I want to work on my flight, eat a bite to eat if hungry, lay down if I'm exhausted for some reason. To me CX is simply uncompetitive on the route. It isn't a complete sweep for SQ (CX wins on wifi, lounges and on-board coffee), but these points aren't critical especially lounges, since I prefer to show up at the airport late as possible. Overall if you're paying your way and those prices are okay you should really consider switching! From a loyal convert.

I know a lot of people are locked in to their corporate so this isn't possible. But I haven't looked back flying to SIN and don't regret the switch at all. It's nice knowing you get what you think you're paying for! I actually am the guy who has to pony up the payment so it's not just discomfort, but I feel like I'm getting ripped off when CX swaps a 773 in last minute. It's obviously a totally different hard product.

PEY down to SIN would be a nice offering, but the same problem exists for CX so it's somewhat moot. But I also think all those SQ planes I mention have PEY now, which means you can also guarantee PEY on SQ! CX has such a captive audience here in Hong Kong, but if you're paying your own way you have a choice and I know where I fall now.

Last edited by QRC3288; Mar 30, 2019 at 10:25 pm Reason: tweaked pricing. also f can be a bit higher, more like 2500-3000 is normal
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:27 am

The consideration for 659 has always been the red eye allow me to spend my last day with my missus in HK to the max. Getting PY was for the space (I am big) so appreciate that I won’t squish my seat mate. Will fly mix J from SIN and PY usually on the return due to the reduced catering. But getting downgraded on this sector is really a bummer.

If SQ can score a red eye HkG SIN, I may consider flying, but it is likely going to be their old 772 or worst, MI’s 738😭😱
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:17 am

SQ has FIVE flights a day with flat J guaranteed! not 4

The consideration for 659 has always been the red eye allow me to spend my last day with my missus in HK to the max. Getting PY was for the space (I am big) so appreciate that I won’t squish my seat mate. Will fly mix J from SIN and PY usually on the return due to the reduced catering. But getting downgraded on this sector is really a bummer.

If SQ can score a red eye HkG SIN, I may consider flying, but it is likely going to be their old 772 or worst, MI’s 738����
If you want the redeye, indeed you're forced on CX. That's a bummer. I don't think SQ has a redeye so they've got you.

But I just checked, and what I wrote before underestimates # of flatbeds on SQ daily to HKG. Because one of old regional SQ flights in the afternoon is showing the B787-10 going forward instead of 772. If that stays, then SQ will operate 5 guaranteed flat-bed products to HKG daily and 3x First/Suites class, without the swapping nonsense CX does and only two extra frequencies which are SQ's old regional J class. From the schedule, SQ HKG-SIN with flatbeds:

(departure time)
*08:00: B77W. Flatbed J + First Class.
*09:05: N/A
*12:25: N/A
*14:25: A359. Flatbed J.
*15:40: A380. Flatbed J + Suites Class.
*18:50: B77W. Flatbed J + First Class.
*19:55: B781. Flatbed J.

I hope SQ will advertise this more, especially as they roll out the new flatbed regional J product. What CX does is a joke at the price they charge, although I realize most people probably aren't paying out of their own pocket which is how CX gets away with it (and corporates get discounts).
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:40 pm

Reporting back. The A351 change to A33P was reverted to A351 on the day of departure. However I lost my BN#16. Apparently, when they have a frame change, you are not protected wit our OLCI. Not cool, so everyone has to check in at the airport, so in the end, my BN# became 322 as I only reached the airport at T-60 due to unforeseen circumstances.

To rub salt into the wound, I was not returned 33C which I had picked and OLCI as well. Again not cool, as check-in claimed my seat and 33A was taken by 2 engineers on duty travel to SIN and they got me 31G. 30H was the last seat available and I wasn't proactively offered until the check-in agent had to call seat control. I had picked 33C because of the additional storage accorded on the seat back as opposed to the cubby hole on the bulkhead 30H. Short of having a meltdown, you can totally visualize the beleaguered look on me at check-in.

At boarding, I requested to be put back on 33C. The team lead tried to help recover the seat but by then, I received an upgrade to 19G. Not sure if it was an op-up pr the upgrade was accorded for service recovery. I don't want to pull a PITA but the experience was totally not cool,
Old May 14, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by freed0m

Now it is quite likely that CX714 on May 19th will be LH configuration.

I have my daughter (3 years old) with me on this flight.

Which seats are good for us? I believe should be either A/D or G/K so that I can take care of my daughter easily.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.