FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1383631-sin-hkg-equipment-lottery-regional-equipment-swaps.html)

Awesom Andy Oct 28, 2012 10:11 pm

I find CX715 to be usually very heavily loaded in J, with Y getting a very good load most days too. The 744 is probably the best config out of the current CX fleet for this specific flight in terms of operations and load. Can't say the same for its return flight though, unless they have lots and lots of cargo.

foiegrass Oct 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 19583452)
When was that?

I was on CX715 on Sunday, 28-OCT, no op-up.... Seems First and Biz are full.

And surprisingly there is at least 1 empty seat in economy....

How I know? Coz the pax in 30A which complained that his IFE did not work was offered 45 (or 44)G but he refused.

BTW, this is the same guy who almost created fight in the flight :)

The flight was rather short, 3 hours only. But we still end up delay by around 20 min....

It was Friday, June 22. I was pretty lucky! Got off CX837 (YVR to HK) feeling so groggy and when I walked out of the airplane, I was given a new boarding pass!

sxc Oct 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 19579331)
Exactly my experience, on both counts. Although the 3 of them insisted that I stayed on the upper deck. I guess they were lonely too.

Possibly they thought if you moved downstairs, they would be forced downstairs also and have to share the work of those downstairs, rather than have a leisurely flight serving one person.

jackrussellterrier Oct 30, 2012 7:34 am

Originally Posted by metcalve (Post 19575462)
was meant to be on a cirrus-equipped 77w but flight was swopped to a 744 about 60 minutes before departure. was the only one in upper deck and felt extremely lonely and awkward with 3 of the best CX crews serving me and asked if i can change to the lower deck so that i dont have to trouble the 3 ladies. lower deck with less than half full.

would you have done that?

also, i noticed that whenever i bother to strike up a conversation with the crew, i am often given an inflight survey to complete. when i am feeling a little drained and would rather keep to myself, i don't get the survey. has anyone noticed this?

Ha!
Last week I was upgraded into F on 747 from ICN to HKG. Only one- first time ever on my own - if only it was LH! Surprise surprise it was a nice few hours. But I didn't get the survey form but on the next flight to SIN on regional 777 crew were very friendly on a half full flight in J and yes I got the survey. I do feel that once they know you might not complain and are in a good mood they ask you to take the survey. But to be honest if the crew are nice and friendly to me, I am more than happy to do the survey and hope they pass the news to their colleagues that "this guy" is nice if you look after him :D

carrotjuice May 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Resurrecting an old thread I started... 9 months on things haven't changed. I fly this route every month or more - and this time, because of a late dinner in HKG, I decided to take CX659 that departed 1:30 am. It was 77W... thought I could sleep at least 3 hours on the nice Cirrus seats before hitting work in SIN... and they're unlikely to swap a red-eye that probably was a continuation from somewhere into HKG.

About 12 hours before departure CX swapped it for an old decrepit cabin. Those awful old lounge chairs were dead uncomfortable... and I hardly slept at all.

Note to self. NEVER EVER take CX for this route until there is absolute guarantee of no aircraft swaps.

AA_EXP09 May 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by foiegrass (Post 19590140)
It was Friday, June 22. I was pretty lucky! Got off CX837 (YVR to HK) feeling so groggy and when I walked out of the airplane, I was given a new boarding pass!

That's why I prefer the night flight as I don't arrive in HK feeling like it's 3 or 4 in the morning.

hclee01 May 29, 2013 2:22 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 20826122)
Resurrecting an old thread I started... 9 months on things haven't changed. I fly this route every month or more - and this time, because of a late dinner in HKG, I decided to take CX659 that departed 1:30 am. It was 77W... thought I could sleep at least 3 hours on the nice Cirrus seats before hitting work in SIN... and they're unlikely to swap a red-eye that probably was a continuation from somewhere into HKG.

About 12 hours before departure CX swapped it for an old decrepit cabin. Those awful old lounge chairs were dead uncomfortable... and I hardly slept at all.

Note to self. NEVER EVER take CX for this route until there is absolute guarantee of no aircraft swaps.

Had the same experience last week on CX714 from SIN-HKG (redeye flight). It was supposed to be a B77W plane when I booked. A month before that, it was swapped to A330 regional seats before they swapped it back to B747 just 12 hours before the scheduled departure date.

Generally based on my past experiences, SIN-HKG planes are very prone to being swapped especially during last minute.

Thai-Kiwi May 29, 2013 2:33 am

CX614 BKK-HKG - 744 UD ok?

Hmmm. New to the CX forum.

I'm burning AA miles with family flyingbiz class on CX614, a 744 BKK-HKG. I was going to ask what the UD 'coffin' class is 'really like' for this 2:45 flight as family have not visited HKG before - it seems like yoy don't get much of a view, which is a shame.

However, if equipment changes are very likely, it really doesn't matter much. :confused:

Is the 744 a regular on the BKK-HKG route? CX web says 2-3 times a week, but does itactually change around that much ?

lingua101 May 29, 2013 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 20828265)
Hmmm. New to the CX forum.

I'm burning AA miles with family flyingbiz class on CX614, a 744 BKK-HKG. I was going to ask what the UD 'coffin' class is 'really like' for this 2:45 flight as family have not visited HKG before - it seems like yoy don't get much of a view, which is a shame.

However, if equipment changes are very likely, it really doesn't matter much. :confused:

Is the 744 a regular on the BKK-HKG route? CX web says 2-3 times a week, but does itactually change around that much ?

In my opinion you will be lucky to get coffin biz class in BKK-HKG. I flew BKK-HKG/HKG-BKK many time. The aircraft is rather old, so it is old biz class, on B773 or B772 or old A333. Try to grab A343 or B744 for newer biz class at least with AVOID.

Thai-Kiwi May 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 20828315)
In my opinion you will be lucky to get coffin biz class in BKK-HKG. I flew BKK-HKG/HKG-BKK many time. The aircraft is rather old, so it is old biz class, on B773 or B772 or old A333. Try to grab A343 or B744 for newer biz class at least with AVOID.

Ummm, I have already grabbed a 744 on CX614 - my interest is the degree of 'changeability' the aircraft type is for CX614 on those days it is scheduled to be a 744 but becomes something else. But I have a sense now from another thread.

lingua101 May 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 20833139)
Ummm, I have already grabbed a 744 on CX614 - my interest is the degree of 'changeability' the aircraft type is for CX614 on those days it is scheduled to be a 744 but becomes something else. But I have a sense now from another thread.

Nobody knows. Just cross your finger. I have been flying 4 pairs of SIN-HKG for the past 2-3 months. 3/8 flights are equipment change.

1 of those 3 they make 2 changes. New A333 to old A333 at OLCI then back to new A333.

The other swap A343->A333 and B77W->B773(or even B772)

Savage25 Jul 1, 2013 7:51 am

Ugh, just found out by accident that my CX690 next week has been downgraded from 77W F to regional 333 J. The fare difference for a one-way SIN-HKG is SGD800, but this is a revenue ticket as part of a complex itinerary that I can't reprice now. What sort of downgrade compensation should I expect?

There is another flight with F three hours later but my schedule is inflexible.

Awesom Andy Jul 1, 2013 11:13 am

It's still J, so to CX, there's no "downgrade" as such, and there will be no compensation.

stargold Jul 1, 2013 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 21021752)
It's still J, so to CX, there's no "downgrade" as such, and there will be no compensation.

Read more carefully. He's been downgraded from F to J.

Savage25, to my knowledge they offer some compensation if it's very last minute (i.e. same day), but not sure what the cut-off is before they simply tell you to re-calculate the fare, with no separate compensation due.

Awesom Andy Jul 1, 2013 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 21024103)
Read more carefully. He's been downgraded from F to J.

Savage25, to my knowledge they offer some compensation if it's very last minute (i.e. same day), but not sure what the cut-off is before they simply tell you to re-calculate the fare, with no separate compensation due.

He is indeed. :o
*smack head*