Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Old Oct 23, 12, 10:55 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Posts: 2,421
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
any compensation?

if i have connecting flight, i will get priority right? so less chance to get bump off?
If they bump you to another airline same time then no compensation. I've seen people getting bumped off from UA's 8pm HKG-SIN flight to CX's 8pm HKG-SIN flight without any compensation, even though UA has longhaul J and CX had regional J.

If they cause a delay, depending on the circumstances you might be due some compensation, but it depends case to case.

Normally if they have to bump people off, they would avoid bumping those with connections but there's no guarantee on that.

As far travel in Y is concerned (and in most cases J as well), if you have any kind of CX or OW status I would not worry about getting bumped off the flight. You can safely assume that there will be people without status who CX will bump off instead.
midlevels is offline  
Old Oct 23, 12, 11:27 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,695
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
As far travel in Y is concerned (and in most cases J as well), if you have any kind of CX or OW status I would not worry about getting bumped off the flight. You can safely assume that there will be people without status who CX will bump off instead.
Yup. Just even being a Green member virtually guarantees that you won't have this issue.

Reading FT people here get the false assumption that "everyone" is a frequent flier member. Hardly. Next time you're on a flight make sure to stand in line (the regular economy class line), and just look at people's boarding passes - CX prints FF #s in a very easy place to see, on the stub at the bottom right above the seat assignment. I'd say 7/10 people in the economy class line don't have any FF program filled in. Yesterday on a regional flight, waiting in the priority line, the family of four people travelling together in front of me in line - all in J - had no FF # filled in. I admit to taking a peek, as the father handed over all the BPs together to the check-in agent at the same time. Even in J/F class, I notice at least 33% or more of people don't have a FF # on their BP.
QRC3288 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 12, 7:12 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Posts: 3,751
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
If they bump you to another airline same time then no compensation. I've seen people getting bumped off from UA's 8pm HKG-SIN flight to CX's 8pm HKG-SIN flight without any compensation, even though UA has longhaul J and CX had regional J.

If they cause a delay, depending on the circumstances you might be due some compensation, but it depends case to case.

Normally if they have to bump people off, they would avoid bumping those with connections but there's no guarantee on that.

As far travel in Y is concerned (and in most cases J as well), if you have any kind of CX or OW status I would not worry about getting bumped off the flight. You can safely assume that there will be people without status who CX will bump off instead.
I am MP Silver. I am paying V class (not the cheapest fare) so it is unlikely to get bumped then.
lingua101 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 12, 10:53 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Posts: 2,421
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
I am MP Silver. I am paying V class (not the cheapest fare) so it is unlikely to get bumped then.
Pigs will fly before you get bumped
midlevels is offline  
Old Oct 25, 12, 6:48 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Posts: 3,751
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
Pigs will fly before you get bumped
Hehe.. Hope to get upgrade tomorrow. Crossing my finger.

Can I volunteer for next flight? How much compensation they will give?

If the bump me to SQ flight with similar timing, can I still get miles and sectors credited?
lingua101 is offline  
Old Oct 25, 12, 10:37 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Posts: 2,421
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
If the bump me to SQ flight with similar timing, can I still get miles and sectors credited?
Good question - let us know
midlevels is offline  
Old Oct 26, 12, 7:12 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Posts: 3,751
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
Good question - let us know
Actually this did not happen to me.

Arrived airport at 705, when I walked in to counter I told the checkin counter 70. She rather shock. I think she thought my flight was at 7:10, I told her no, CX710.

She never expect pax to tell flight number without looking at ticket?

Anyway, she issued me the BP and I noticed no upgrade. i asked her " No upgrade? I thought today flight is very full". She said "ya, but also many Diamond".

Ok no complain, like someone said after all I pay economy fares.

When I just above to enter immigration, I heard someone calling my name. I saw that lady running. I tot I miss my luggage tag or something.

Later she told me I have been upgraded just after I walked away from the counter, so she need to issue new BP...

Quite happy, although it is 11G, LD.


When I passed the gate after the other lady tore my BP again I was stopped as she saw something at the screen.

But the other lady notice that I had my new C BP. But she told me but the Screen spoiled... We cant changed your seat it is a full flight.

Sp when I walked to the aircraft I was thinking should I made a fuss and asked my Y class seat? But I decided to move on, after all it is C class and I may take some naps anyway.

11G is the first tow... To my surprise the PTV works!!!

The on complain, because this is first row, every time the cabin crew move around cabin, the curtain hits my feet... Also the stored blanked at the comportment next to my seat..


Well we will see if I will get it again on my HKG-SIN
lingua101 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 11:09 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Singapore
Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 344
was meant to be on a cirrus-equipped 77w but flight was swopped to a 744 about 60 minutes before departure. was the only one in upper deck and felt extremely lonely and awkward with 3 of the best CX crews serving me and asked if i can change to the lower deck so that i dont have to trouble the 3 ladies. lower deck with less than half full.

would you have done that?

also, i noticed that whenever i bother to strike up a conversation with the crew, i am often given an inflight survey to complete. when i am feeling a little drained and would rather keep to myself, i don't get the survey. has anyone noticed this?
metcalve is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 4:42 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: YVR
Programs: Marco Polo
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
I am MP Silver. I am paying V class (not the cheapest fare) so it is unlikely to get bumped then.
I got an Op-up on CX 715 (it was a very full flight) instead of getting bumped off... and I am a MP Green and I paid V class! was very lucky!

Last edited by foiegrass; Oct 27, 12 at 5:25 pm
foiegrass is offline  
Old Oct 28, 12, 7:31 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 1,799
Originally Posted by metcalve View Post
was meant to be on a cirrus-equipped 77w but flight was swopped to a 744 about 60 minutes before departure. was the only one in upper deck and felt extremely lonely and awkward with 3 of the best CX crews serving me and asked if i can change to the lower deck so that i dont have to trouble the 3 ladies. lower deck with less than half full.

would you have done that?

also, i noticed that whenever i bother to strike up a conversation with the crew, i am often given an inflight survey to complete. when i am feeling a little drained and would rather keep to myself, i don't get the survey. has anyone noticed this?
Exactly my experience, on both counts. Although the 3 of them insisted that I stayed on the upper deck. I guess they were lonely too.

And they seem to give up the surveys to the pax who they think are nice and friendly. If I don't talk to them, I don't get the survey.
Awesom Andy is offline  
Old Oct 28, 12, 9:35 am
  #86  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,046
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
Hehe.. Hope to get upgrade tomorrow. Crossing my finger.

Can I volunteer for next flight? How much compensation they will give?

If the bump me to SQ flight with similar timing, can I still get miles and sectors credited?
You should be able to ask for ORC.
ORC works in which they simply change the coupon status to flown.
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 12, 5:47 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Posts: 454
Unhappy Switched from 744 to 343

Travelling on CX690 on 26/12 . When booked it was a 744 and we were in F on a BA redemption. Switched now to 343 and downgraded to J.

What is J like on 343 - have seats 12A & 14A.

CX710 on same day is now operated by 744 and am wondering whether to switch but I suppose same thing could happen and we get downgraded again.

Days either side CX690 has F - 25th CX690 is a 744 & 27th is a 77W. Cannot understand as CX690 has been operated more than 90% of the time in the last two months by aircraft with F cabins.

Advice please.
col747uk is offline  
Old Oct 28, 12, 8:27 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,695
Originally Posted by col747uk View Post
What is J like on 343 - have seats 12A & 14A
Your flight could always be changed again. However, to answer this:

343 has I think 27 seats of J. Old long-haul J ("coffin"). Three columns of seats. A and D share the left aisle, K has its own aisle on the right-hand side. 12A is the second seat, has all its windows. Not that it really matters anyway because your seat is angled away from the windows. I haven't been to SIN lately, but on a recent regional flight I was on a 343 in J class, and service started at the front (row 11) so you'll be one of the first to be served.

Nothing really stands out about seats I'd want vs. not want on 343 in J, it's a pretty small J class in one cabin. Both lavs in the front galley. I prefer the window seats but that's just me, and again you won't really get much of a view out of them because of the seat angle. I guess slightly less traffic on the K side but really, it's a minuscule benefit I sat in 12A on a flight a few days ago on 343 and had a great flight. Maybe I'd avoid the very last row or two on the A side because they don't have windows (and it seems service started from the front rows), and 11A is also missing a window. But nothing that stands out really. All pretty similar.
QRC3288 is offline  
Old Oct 28, 12, 10:11 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Singapore
Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 344
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
it's a minuscule benefit I sat in 12A on a flight a few days ago on 343 .
I usually choose the bassinet seats on 11A or 12K as the bassinet area will give you some much-appreciated extra space for your newspapers and blankets and pillows when you need to stand up... Unless of course you get a FA who decides to slam the bassinet doors open and close and against the bulkhead wall over and over again when you are trying to sleep on a red-eye... (on my recent DXB-HKG flight: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...service-3.html )

11A, while sharing the same aisle as the D seats, is the only seat in the row (there is no 11D due to the bulkhead), but angles itself to face directly into the espresso machine in the galley.

343 is one of the planes I really don't enjoy flying as the J cabin seems like a flying mass...
metcalve is offline  
Old Oct 28, 12, 10:17 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Posts: 3,751
Originally Posted by foiegrass View Post
I got an Op-up on CX 715 (it was a very full flight) instead of getting bumped off... and I am a MP Green and I paid V class! was very lucky!
When was that?

I was on CX715 on Sunday, 28-OCT, no op-up.... Seems First and Biz are full.

And surprisingly there is at least 1 empty seat in economy....

How I know? Coz the pax in 30A which complained that his IFE did not work was offered 45 (or 44)G but he refused.

BTW, this is the same guy who almost created fight in the flight

The flight was rather short, 3 hours only. But we still end up delay by around 20 min....
lingua101 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: