FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1383631-sin-hkg-equipment-lottery-regional-equipment-swaps.html)

brunos May 14, 2019 5:11 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31099205)
Now it is quite likely that CX714 on May 19th will be LH configuration.

I have my daughter (3 years old) with me on this flight.

Which seats are good for us? I believe should be either A/D or G/K so that I can take care of my daughter easily.

Thanks.

On the 77W, the window seat is a bit back of the middle seat. If you sit say in 12K, you will have a difficult time seeing what your daughter is doing in 12G. If you sit in 12G, you will have to bend forward around the head "protector" of the shell, but you will have a better view of her.
Having two middle seats is good to look after her (you can slide the seat forward). And you can stand up and help her a little across the divider, program cartoons on her TV,,... But if you need to really assit her, you will need to walk a long way. But it is not so far if you are in rows near the galleys. I have done this with a very young child and I prefer the middle seats as I can always communicate with the child even during take-off and landing.

Again, there can always be a last-minute ac change, if the frame scheduled for CX715 departure from HKG at 8:25pm has a big delay on its incoming flight.

freed0m May 14, 2019 6:03 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 31099458)
On the 77W, the window seat is a bit back of the middle seat. If you sit say in 12K, you will have a difficult time seeing what your daughter is doing in 12G. If you sit in 12G, you will have to bend forward around the head "protector" of the shell, but you will have a better view of her.
Having two middle seats is good to look after her (you can slide the seat forward). And you can stand up and help her a little across the divider, program cartoons on her TV,,... But if you need to really assit her, you will need to walk a long way. But it is not so far if you are in rows near the galleys. I have done this with a very young child and I prefer the middle seats as I can always communicate with the child even during take-off and landing.

Again, there can always be a last-minute ac change, if the frame scheduled for CX715 departure from HKG at 8:25pm has a big delay on its incoming flight.

Thanks for the advice.

My daughter is going to need assistance to sleep, probably I have to carry her to sleep 1st, then put her back into her own seat later.

I probably will choose G and K seat.

c1mth0g Jun 10, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm on a RTW ticket, and a couple of my CX regional flights got downgraded from F to C ... I assume I'm out of luck? There is obviously no fare difference to speak of, but some kind of compensation would be nice.

QRC3288 Jun 11, 2019 1:46 am

Originally Posted by c1mth0g (Post 31190325)
I'm on a RTW ticket, and a couple of my CX regional flights got downgraded from F to C ... I assume I'm out of luck? There is obviously no fare difference to speak of, but some kind of compensation would be nice.

How far in advance? If it happens last minute, people here seem to get comp. I think I've read a few hundred USD at the airport when people get downgraded last minute, or even the day before. But if they've done it in advance, no.

You should be able to get that leg changed for free is F is offered on another segment that day, or another day around then.

CX regional F except for HND (and PEK the last year) swap frequently. Most regional cities don't really get much if any O&D cash demand. It's mostly award bookers, to be honest. Although part of this is chicken and the egg, I'm more willing to buy F if I know it's guaranteed. Done that to/from PEK 3x this year so far. Thanks to the forum here for pointing out to me. I never considers buying a CX F ticket to SIN, however because of the swaps. I just use SQ for that route. However this is the way CX does it. Very annoying.

c1mth0g Jun 11, 2019 5:14 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 31190939)
How far in advance?

One month

QRC3288 Jun 11, 2019 9:31 am

Originally Posted by c1mth0g (Post 31191249)
One month

Nothing. Haha mate why should they be paying comp for a change that far in advance? They have the right to change their schedules. It would be a right mess if they have to mail money to everyone whose plane gets changed months in advance.

I'm no fan of CX's regional F policies so I sympathize with your loss of F product, although not with the request for comp that far out. I wish they'd either sell it or not. The way they do it is very annoying and has led me to move all my SIN business over to SQ. I prefer F and am no fan of downgrades especially when I'm willing to pay for the alternate.

But in this case CX only rarely flies F on these intra regional routes and it's essentially pot luck. So we're all resigned to it. Honestly it might return to the schedule (and then be swapped out again) before you fly.

Your route is SIN right? If you really insist on F, I wonder if you can skip the SIN segment on the AONE, and just buy a separate ticket on SQ? 3 flights with F per day and no swaps. The upside to those AONE tickets is they're a great deal. The downside is they're such a great deal...

Jane's Addiction Oct 10, 2019 11:35 pm

I had such an interesting experience on SQ today with an equipment change.

Booked in J on SIN to SGN. Normally on this router they fly A330s with their old regional J (which is perfectly good). They have started to rotate in their 787s with the new regional J on some of the flights. I guess the flight i booked was on a 787 (I wasn't even aware).

This morning got a text and email telling me of an equipment change to a 777ER with the old regional J, very apologetically.
Then a call 2 hours before the flight from someone to inform me, and apologize, and ask if I was ok
Then a handout at boarding explaining and apologizing in writing

All this for a swap to a seat which is nearly a flat bed anyway, and I am 100% happy with for <2hour flight.

Wow. Such a contrast to CX. SQ actually cares.

CXFlyerBoy Oct 11, 2019 12:30 am

Not so much on CX where there will send you a matter of fact email indicating you will be contacted but you will still need to call to sort things Kir otherwise it impacts your OLCI.

Had this on the 1 oct 659 where the swop out a 359 for 33P. Not cool.

sbs2716g Oct 11, 2019 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction (Post 31615404)
I had such an interesting experience on SQ today with an equipment change.

Booked in J on SIN to SGN. Normally on this router they fly A330s with their old regional J (which is perfectly good). They have started to rotate in their 787s with the new regional J on some of the flights. I guess the flight i booked was on a 787 (I wasn't even aware).

This morning got a text and email telling me of an equipment change to a 777ER with the old regional J, very apologetically.
Then a call 2 hours before the flight from someone to inform me, and apologize, and ask if I was ok
Then a handout at boarding explaining and apologizing in writing

All this for a swap to a seat which is nearly a flat bed anyway, and I am 100% happy with for <2hour flight.

Wow. Such a contrast to CX. SQ actually cares.

The original plane is a 777-200ER (1-2-1 config in J) if you are on SQ184. SQ186 (evening flight is the 787)

it was swapped to the 777-300 which is in 2-2-2 config. But since it is a 2 hr day flight, it should be ok.

SLGO Oct 14, 2019 7:58 pm

My return flight in 2 weeks time was changed from 333 to 351 about 2 months ago. Hope it stays that way. Finger-crossed.