Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Tell me about it. My 5/2 CX659 got swapped out from a 77Z to the 772. Really wished they could put the 772s in for the refit soon. They have been making their appearance in SIN too often.
Same thing happened to me on CX659 on 5/3. In fact, I quite like the old armchairs for a day flight as I find them more comfortable (many would disagree I guess!) than the new regional J seats. But I was so hoping to get a flat bed for the red eye flight and was disappointed to see the seat map when I did online checkin.

Anyone know if they would ever do a last minute 2nd swap back to the original aircraft after OLCI was open? That was what I hoped but it didn't happen.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Equipment changes are normally closed off at T -36 for final confirmation to crews, last minute swops should only be for technical reasons
Old May 5, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mayodave
Equipment changes are normally closed off at T -36 for final confirmation to crews, last minute swops should only be for technical reasons
I have had one or two last minute subs at the airport...once from a 773 (old regional) to a 74K, and once from a 33C (can't remember what the code is, but it was a 330 with old F and old long-haul J) to a 33B (Olympus J).
Old May 5, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by sxc
Another factor is loads. If there is a flight with low loads, and another flight which is overbooked, if the low loads flight aircraft has more seats than the overbooked flight, they will try to swap them if operationally possible.
What's wrong with looking at the demographics of a destination or route. Then, deciding what equipment suites that route. Like any bus, train, or plane route, you cater for the demand and track usage to make sure you are meeting the market.
Sure, planes go tech, but substituting like for like, should be the norm.
Booking a revenue J ticket (with a companion), then being exposed to this equipment lottery is not a 5* experience.
No other airline I've ever flown, changes aircraft types like CX in it's regional market (eg DPS). You should be able to research your airline, aircraft, flight time and seating and get what you pay for.
I'm here because of the new QR/CX agreement and I'm starting to feel dudded.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by in2it54
Booking a revenue J ticket (with a companion), then being exposed to this equipment lottery is not a 5* experience.
No other airline I've ever flown, changes aircraft types like CX in it's regional market (eg DPS). You should be able to research your airline, aircraft, flight time and seating and get what you pay for.
^^^
Old May 5, 2014, 7:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Just wondering, but did anyone ever get an email telling them that their plane has been changed?
Old May 5, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+, CA Gold, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by jdtravels
Just wondering, but did anyone ever get an email telling them that their plane has been changed?
I have received SMSs about aircraft substitution before.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by mayodave
Not true. Ive olcied for PE at T-24hrs and at T-6hrs got told equipment change.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
I have had one or two last minute subs at the airport...once from a 773 (old regional) to a 74K, and once from a 33C (can't remember what the code is, but it was a 330 with old F and old long-haul J) to a 33B (Olympus J).
Same with me.... I remembered that they swap the plane to something when I do OLCI. When I checked in at city check in, I was told there is another swap. Although the same type like 777-300 but different configuration. Well that's should happen in less than 24 hours I suppose.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by in2it54
What's wrong with looking at the demographics of a destination or route. Then, deciding what equipment suites that route. Like any bus, train, or plane route, you cater for the demand and track usage to make sure you are meeting the market.
Sure, planes go tech, but substituting like for like, should be the norm.
I think the problem is they have "inconsistency" product. If the product if quite consistent, there is no big issue with swapping the aircraft last minutes., although I am very sure some people will still complain as they prefer 773 over 333, for example.

I think CX should accelerate to make their fleets consistent. I also think they are the only major carrier that still use round thick pin for earphone....
Old May 5, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by bluetus04
I quite like the old armchairs for a day flight
Glad I'm not alone with this, although we are definitely the odd ones out. The flying sofa serves me well.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Glad I'm not alone with this, although we are definitely the odd ones out. The flying sofa serves me well.
I wouldn't mind mind them so much if they'd reupholster them and make the plane look slightly newer. The yellowish tinge to the white walls and the faded colours just make it unappealing, as comfortable as they are. And the recline by the person in front eating into your space is just frustrating.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
But, we all agree.
This continual swapping of equipment is not a good characteristic of a 5* airline.

You (CX) market/sell a product and we buy it.
At best it is really sloppy marketing and at worst, it could be construed as false and misleading advertising.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Ha, glad to hear too that I'm not the only crazy guy who likes worn out armchairs with dirty foot rests
Old May 6, 2014, 11:48 am

I will fly CX690 this Thu and CX715 on Friday. Both listed as 77W. let's see what will happen

Last edited by lingua101; May 7, 2014 at 1:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.