Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
that link doesn't look correct...it'sthe longhaul A330, not regional.
This is the one that I have been taking with new J class on SIN-HKG. I think they do use this occasionally on short/medium haul sectors.

The new regional J class seats, so far, I have only seen them on B777 planes and not on A330 yet.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by hclee01
This is the one that I have been taking with new J class on SIN-HKG. I think they do use this occasionally on short/medium haul sectors.

The new regional J class seats, so far, I have only seen them on B777 planes and not on A330 yet.
Yea, more in response to the guy you were answering to - I think he/she thought you were talking about a regionally configged A330 with the new regional - not longhaul - seats.

Overall I think the new hard products are a HUGE upgrade on regional routes like SIN. If you're in EY, you get AVOD guaranteed now. Plus there is PEY, which is very comfortable for a regional flight. And in J, you either get the new regional J in those newly configged regional 777s (773-Z), or get into the Cirrus long-haul J on something like 33G or 77G/H, which is really fantastic. Perhaps my only beef now is those new regional J seats are a challenge to go to the restroom if you're in the window or middle, but besides that I much prefer them to the old regional J. And PEY regionally is also very comfortable.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
SIN-HKG equipment lottery

We were 'E' on ORD HKG ORD (PEY avail) and 'H' HKG BKK SIN HKG (no PEY avail) ...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I was on CX690 last Sunday. It is old A333 with the single long jack earphone.

Any idea when CX will get rid off this type of aircraft? Non AVOD and that type of earphone jack means CX has to maintain different kind of inventory right?

I guess it is simply too old.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Are new seats now on all 330s plying the HKG-SIN route? Because of this lottery, I haven't taken CX much over last year... and am loath to start unless I'm fairly certain. Any advice appreciated.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:29 am
Suspended

CX + SIN + certain just don't go along in one sentence
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
CX + SIN + certain just don't go along in one sentence
^

I guess not only SIN but most (if not all) of the regional route.

I was on 2 A330 last week. 1 old and 1 new (with new Regional J and new Y)
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Are new seats now on all 330s plying the HKG-SIN route? Because of this lottery, I haven't taken CX much over last year... and am loath to start unless I'm fairly certain. Any advice appreciated.
...see the post literally on top of your question!

As long as I can remember (since 2007), and probably 20-30 Singapore trips on CX in there, SIN has been a lottery. It is what it is. Frankly, it's better today than I can ever remember it given the numerous retrofitted regional aircraft and plethora of 77H and 77G aircraft that frequently find their way on the route. My last two SIN flights a few weeks ago included a newly-retrofitted 777 regional with the new J class and 77G. I used to occasionally book SQ for myself but haven't done so in a while unless traveling with someone else who demands it.

If it means anything, I think I was more comfortable in PEY on the 77G than I was in new J on the 777! New regional J is a good product but for the first time I had a window seat and a neighbor in the aisle, and it really is a pain in the backside getting out to use the restroom if that person is asleep or stretched out.

Last edited by QRC3288; Feb 18, 2014 at 2:29 am
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Are new seats now on all 330s plying the HKG-SIN route?
Nope.

I was on the 712 that does the dog leg back through BKK a week ago that was old J seating on the 330.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:57 am
Original Poster

SIN-HKG equipment lottery

Pity. CX really has lost much of my J business over last 1+ years to SQ on this route... just because of this awful lottery!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:48 am

Pity. CX really has lost much of my J business over last 1+ years to SQ on this route... just because of this awful lottery!
out of curiosity, how many round-trips did you do last year SIN-HKG?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
out of curiosity, how many round-trips did you do last year SIN-HKG?
On average once a month. Plus 3 USA trips that would've gone to CX but instead went to JL and SQ.

Unfortunately due to a last minute business trip, and SQ sold out, I had to take CX recently. Full J cabin in horrible A330 with old and uncomfortable cradle seats, especially for CX714 red eye (truly unforgivable!) and CX715 night flight. How CX can deck such decrepit planes on the SIN route, which doesn't come close to the consistency of SQ is truly baffling.

By contrast, the much shorter HKG-MNL-HKG flights were on the new 77W, and many of the J seats were empty!

Last edited by carrotjuice; Feb 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Sorry to dig up a buried thread but just wondering how far out would they sub an airframe. Have a sin>>>hkg>>>pvg>>>hkg>>>sin late Apr/early May and the final leg got sub with a 33Z when it was a 33G when I ticketed in Feb.

Also, are there any other factors that contribute to a substitution other then the intended frame going tech?

TIA
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Sorry to dig up a buried thread but just wondering how far out would they sub an airframe. Have a sin>>>hkg>>>pvg>>>hkg>>>sin late Apr/early May and the final leg got sub with a 33Z when it was a 33G when I ticketed in Feb.

Also, are there any other factors that contribute to a substitution other then the intended frame going tech?

TIA
Ive had everything from months ahead to 1 mth ahead to when the plane departs hk. (If ex hkg then before plane takes off)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
On some days, CX flies 8 flights a day between HKG and SIN !

Cx uses a multitude of aircrafts... so its a lottery to say which one you will get.

SIN-HKG last month flew as scheduled on a regional 773.
HKG-SIN on 11/Mar was on a 333 as planned.
SIN-HKG on 17/Mar was changed from a 772 to a 77G (and got op-up'd to PEY)
HKG-SIN on 18/Mar was changed from a 773 to a 744 (and got another op-up'd to PEY)

Personally I don't think I like the PEY seats. They're hard. But anyway.. here you go..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.