Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Self-serving post! I'm really only typing this so it'll autosubscribe me: later MrsCRP will want to see pics of food

Actually, I'm gonna read more since we'll be taking the 'O Dark Early (0100 ish, CX714) flight SINHKG next month and am curious as to the plane change game. Bought PEY tickets (E, ORDHKG r/t) but certain regional segments (HKGBKKSINHKG) didn't offer it so got an (H) ticket but as OWE I'm sorta for some swappy to a PEY plane on this particular--and longest, sleepiest--regional leg. Natch, gonna finish the day in SIN around dinner time and head to airport & relax. Nice pix!

PS: Is it me, or do the new regional J seats look eerily similar to the 77W PEY bulkhead seats (sans shell)?

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; Dec 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:26 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD

PS: Is it me, or do the new regional J seats look eerily similar to the 77W PEY bulkhead seats (sans shell)?
Maybe only in colour, but definitely not in recline action.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:59 pm

Currently waiting for boarding. Upgraded to Business class. Singapore-hKG. I just reached QR Gold, one world emerald two days ago. However, my boarding pass still show old status of one world ruby and upgraded even before I show them the new printout from QR FFP.

I think the flight is overbooked from yesterday online check in and full of family and your group. Thus the upgrade even with only a one world ruby inside the system?

So excited haha
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Krisflyer, skywards
SIN-HKG equipment lottery

Took CX 690 SIN-HKG in J yesterday and I was shocked to see it was all four classes, and F, J and PE completely full at mid day. Tia the season to be jolly....
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by paco1979
Took CX 690 SIN-HKG in J yesterday and I was shocked to see it was all four classes, and F, J and PE completely full at mid day. Tia the season to be jolly....
CX 690 is usually a 77W. it is one of the more confirmed flights that you wull get a long haul operating.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
OMG. I am very surprise now.

I sent email to MPC asking why I cannot see any flight for upgrade in MMB. I got a reply saying that the PE is full so I cannot upgrade (well this is not what I am asking).

When I did a dummy booking few minutes ago. on CX690 and CX715 on 19 adn 20DEC and PE.

I got this
Date Flight Operated By Departure Arrival Stop Duration Aircraft Class
19 Dec 2013 CX690 Cathay Pacific SIN 12:55 HKG 16:50 0 3:55 77W Premium Economy (E)
20 Dec 2013 CX715 Cathay Pacific HKG 20:00 SIN 23:55 0 3:55 744 Premium Economy (E)

Fare Details
Passenger Fare Carrier Surcharges Taxes/Fees/Charges Total fare
Adult x 1 SGD 767.00 SGD 75.00 ? SGD 53.80 ? SGD 895.80
I am paying SGD 1,115.20 for H class!!! I really cannot believe this.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lingua101
OMG. I am very surprise now.

I sent email to MPC asking why I cannot see any flight for upgrade in MMB. I got a reply saying that the PE is full so I cannot upgrade (well this is not what I am asking).
It's been years since you can last upgrade for a flight via MMB.

When I did a dummy booking few minutes ago. on CX690 and CX715 on 19 adn 20DEC and PE.

I got this

I am paying SGD 1,115.20 for H class!!! I really cannot believe this.
What's so surprising? That's a discounted-PEY fare, while yours is a full-Y fare. Same could be said for a lot of route's discounted J's prices.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: QF WP
What are the refund penalties for H class? If it's still $150 SGD, you might as well cancel, take the penalty, and rebook.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
What are the refund penalties for H class? If it's still $150 SGD, you might as well cancel, take the penalty, and rebook.
Well not so simple as it is corporate travel not personal travel
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
It's been years since you can last upgrade for a flight via MMB.

The function is back under redeem flights. Whether it technically works is another thing, but it's meant to.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:29 pm

H is a coach fare; WRE are the PEY fare classes. E was the 'bundled' fare when I selected PEY (E) for ORD HKG BKK SIN HKG ORD, and the website/confirmation certainly makes a distinction between the two groups of tix/fares.

PS: I think I misread #187...my bust. H is not full fare Econ but looks to be 'Standard', free change, 600 HKD ($78USD, 150 SGD) to change. If it's corporate travel, why overly concerned with price? How can you get hoodwinked by this common occurrence--ticket price is a function of seating class, time before departure, flexibility AND loads...

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; Dec 14, 2013 at 1:44 pm
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:18 pm

If it's corporate travel, why overly concerned with price? How can you get hoodwinked by this common occurrence--ticket price is a function of seating class, time before departure, flexibility AND loads...
Well if I know they sell PY and it is cheaper than H fare, I will ask Travel agent to book me on E. Does not make sense to pay more and seat on lower class right even it is not my own money..
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Well if I know they sell PY and it is cheaper than H fare, I will ask Travel agent to book me on E. Does not make sense to pay more and seat on lower class right even it is not my own money..
Some corporations don't think this way (luckily W requires no prior authorisation-for J, I have to show a Y fare was either not available OR more expensive. That being said, I have used the UP fares to my advantage for domestic US flights and one OZ YOWUG fare, where I sold K/Y class, issued an eticket for reimbursement, voided the ticket, and rebooked the UP (P/Z) fare for the same amount of money.)
(in the case of OZ I reissued.)
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:37 am

That is the problem: you could attempt to snag a PEY by trying to time their lower prices but if that strategy doesn't pan out, you may end up paying more for either a regular coach ticket or the PEY ticket whose price never dropped--both instead of the cheapest prior option. If you must buy a non premium coach fare buy one that is unrestricted or one whose change cost is less than the money saved by waiting/watching for subsequent better price (kinda what #193 references). For instance, if you must buy a ticket @ 900 units but PEY is currently 950, buy at 900 then watch/wait for the better classes to change: pay 50 units to refund/change original then buy PEY @ 800 (50 less than the original ticket). Aside from timing issues, you may you need to change the new ticket for other reasons and those change costs may exceed the cost of the original. What is your Company's reason for not booking an LCC or the like? It's my guess they want schedule, reliability, and network in exchange for a little cost increase: use the same rationale (productivity, value) rationale for trying to get the PEY bookings from the outset.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
That is the problem: you could attempt to snag a PEY by trying to time their lower prices but if that strategy doesn't pan out, you may end up paying more for either a regular coach ticket or the PEY ticket whose price never dropped--both instead of the cheapest prior option. If you must buy a non premium coach fare buy one that is unrestricted or one whose change cost is less than the money saved by waiting/watching for subsequent better price (kinda what #193 references). For instance, if you must buy a ticket @ 900 units but PEY is currently 950, buy at 900 then watch/wait for the better classes to change: pay 50 units to refund/change original then buy PEY @ 800 (50 less than the original ticket). Aside from timing issues, you may you need to change the new ticket for other reasons and those change costs may exceed the cost of the original. What is your Company's reason for not booking an LCC or the like? It's my guess they want schedule, reliability, and network in exchange for a little cost increase: use the same rationale (productivity, value) rationale for trying to get the PEY bookings from the outset.
No LCC flies YVR-HKG?
(well, AC with 3-4-3 on the 77P might feel like one-hence why I avoid it, not to mention their timing/frequency.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.